• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gx-300

axgillette

So i found someone that is selling a GX-300. Yes it is used, and they told me it is under 3 years old. They was $1750 for it. Do you think that is a good deal?

It looks like it is in great condition. I just want to get some opinions here from you all on what you think. I am looking on picking this up in a couple of days.

It is a better deal than getting a GX-24 that i was fixing to get new.

Does anyone know if the Cut Studio software works with this model? I would recon it does, but just want to make sure.

FatCat

If everything is in great shape I'd say that's a good deal. Make sure you do some testing on it to see how everything tracks and cuts. The GX-300 is far superior to the GX-24 in both build and quality and allows you to cut up to 30" rolls.

Yes, Cut Studio should work fine. I believe you can download a free copy from Roland's website.

axgillette

I could not find the CE-5000 for a much cheaper price out there. Cheapest was the 24" for 1899.00 to $1499.00.
I have contacted the seller on this, and the machine is in great shape. So i am going through with this deal. When i get it, i will let you know how it goes with it.

OldPaint

GX-300, new went for $3200.00. so a used one in good condition, @$16-2000 is a pretty good deal. getting a graphtec LOW END machine, is really no comparison. the CM-24 ROLAND and the CE-5000 are in the same CATEGORY!!!!!

BobM

The GX 300 ahs been a real workhorse for me for 4 years. Not had any problems with it at all.

FatCat

I don't feel the Graphtec CE-5000 is in the same league as the Roland GX-300. I agree with OP and BobM, as my first cutter was a Roland CX 400 - predecessor to the GX series. The CX/GX series are identical in build and specs, except the GX has the optical registration mark reader.

I know some here don't like Roland cutters, but they are extremely reliable, over-built and simple to use. I used one for nearly 3 years and it never let me down. Plus, they cut quickly, quietly and accurately. They don't have a great way to feed media on really long runs (like my current Summa) but I never needed to cut much longer than 15-20 feet. If you take the time to load it straight, it will cut straight.

axgillette

AWESOME! I am glad i made the right choice. I know this is not a new machine, but for the price it is right and it still has some warranty left on it. So i will put it to the test and see what happens.

The longest i cut right now is up to 15 feet long. And it's only letters. Have not had to cut longer runs. Maybe one day i will.

Here is another question. I have an epson r1900 13 wide format UltraChrome ink. So i found some place online that actually sells sheets of vinyl that are 13"x19". They also sell that size heat transfers for both dark and light colored t-shirts.

So i guess the main question is have any of you tried this before? Does the ink run if it gets wet on the vinyl? Will i need to laminate the sheet to prevent this?

I was thinking about taking on smaller sticker jobs with this combo. For quick short small runs.

OldPaint

and what does it cost...........for someone else to cut the same vinyl you have...........into 13x19 sheets?

axgillette

and what does it cost...........for someone else to cut the same vinyl you have...........into 13x19 sheets?

I really do not know. But on the net i found a place that already has them cut to that size. They have 20 sheets for $40.24. That's about $2.04 per sheet.
Would be nice if i can find someone locally to cut some vinyl for me down to 13x19 size. Or heck even a 13"x50YD roll.

Here is the link to it. They also have other sizes.
http://www.booksmartstudio.com/store/inkpress-paper/adhesive-vinyl-13-mil

Air Art Girl

we have three 300's and a GX-24. I only use the GX-24 to cut shirt vinyl. LOVE the 300's. I picked up a used one in fantastic condition for $1200 a year or so ago.

axgillette

Got this machine in. It's in near perfect shape and condition. Only thing is that the blade holder got lost in shipment.

I would give it a 8 out of 10. I have not tested it all yet, but all seems to be functioning as intended.

And WOW, this machine is heavy! Was not expecting it to be this heavy.

Looking to see where i can get the cut studio software replaced as the CD was cracked that came with it. UPS sure does a poor job in handling packages.
The wife said the guy was very rude too.

axgillette

Well, yes it should. And according to roland it does.

I got the blade holder in. I also was able to get the software replaced. I proceeded to load it all up. Everything is fine.

There is a BUT here. When i go to print from illy, the carriage on the plotter goes to the right of the vinyl and just stays there. When i take the same image to cut studio, it works just fine. Something tells me it might be a plug-in issue.

I got another question about this. And i just have a feeling i am doing something wrong.

When i cut images that have a lot of little detail in them. The plotter tends to pull some of it off. I have the blade set at like 2.0mm. The plotter came set with the force at 150g which i am going to change and test at different forces to see what best suites the material i am cutting.

So basically do any of you mind sharing your settings on how you cut small detailed items?

Reason being is because i have a customer that wants me to cut some very small stickers for him. About 25,000 of them. They have lettering in them and they are 1.5"W x 1.0"H. This is also a repeat customer. I was having someone else do them for me, but now with this machine i should be able to do them without a hickup. But it won't and i just needs some advice from experienced hands here.

Thanks again.

OldPaint

in ILLY.......if its anything like corel, you have to assign a HAIRLINE TO THE VECTOR.
this means illy needs a line to cut to the plotter. as in corel DO NOT ASSIGN ANY COLOR to object you want to cut.