• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Haluski, City Chicken, and fresh Kielbasa

showcase 66

That is what I woke up to. After getting in and visiting with my grandparents yesterday, my grandmother wanted to know what I wanted to eat before heading to Pitt. Haluski is one of my all time favorite things to eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. No one makes it better than my grandma. I figured if I could have that, I would be good on my trip. City Chicken is an all time favorite as well. Takes a lot of time to make but well worth it. Out my way no one has ever heard of it. I love my mexican food but there is nothing like having the good Polish food I grew up on.

Not sure how the 5 hour drive is going t be now. Think I may need a nap before doing anything.

The car should be ready in 30 mins or so and then on my way west. Should be there around 5 or 6 this evening. Jill, can't wait to meet you.

Anyone have any info on the weather throughout PA. Pretty nice over in Wilkes-Barre at the moment. From what I see the roads should be good today.

thewood

City Chicken and fresh Kielbasa....wow! Between your mother-in-law and grandmother, you are being fed like a king.

showcase 66

City Chicken and fresh Kielbasa....wow! Between your mother-in-law and grandmother, you are being fed like a king.
Yes, yes I am. I think I gained at least 10 pounds this week if not more.

The car still isn't fixed. Not sure when I will be leaving. I hope soon.

Jillbeans

My mom loves city chicken.
I have the stuff here for haluski but tonight's supper is breakfast.
Still f*cking around with my PC virus.
My house looks like a tornado hit it so don't judge.
But I did get all the old wallpaper off in the dining room.
Route 8 is clear, it's real cold though, and my driveway was plowed last night.
If I would happen to not be home just wait as I need to run to the bank about 3pm.
Love.....Jill
PS
Have you had an Isaly's ham BBQ yet?
hahaha

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have a safe trip. If you get side-tracked, we're having a party, Saturday.

My wife just made haluski about two weeks ago. She's a Polish cook and makes everything from scratch. Another one of my favorites are platskis with the kielbasa......

platski.jpg kielbasa.jpg

OldPaint

well, being from western pa, and having russian/polish roots, i make a DAMN GOOD haluski!!!! hennie is a southern born n raised gal, and i introduced her to this stuff, and i think its the only reason she has spent the last 28 years with me))))))))))))!!!
the trick to making good haluski, is getting the onions cooked to a almost caramelized state.
you want some done almost to black, when cooked in BUTTER its even better. cutting up the cabbage small enough so it can cook properly and not be tough when you bite into it is the other trick. and for me LOT OF FREEEEEESH GARLIC!!!! thats the way my "baba"
used to make it. i cant get the good KIELBASI i had in pa, but i like to boil mine and serve with. some HORSERADISH MUSTARD on the meat is great. lots of pepper on the haluski. and its even better the 2nd day))))))))

showcase 66

Have a safe trip. If you get side-tracked, we're having a party, Saturday.

My wife just made haluski about two weeks ago. She's a Polish cook and makes everything from scratch. Another one of my favorites are platskis with the kielbasa......

If I was staying longer I would try and come down your way. I love Platskis too. If only my wife was a Polish Mexican. haha. I also love pierogis. Not the crappy frozen ones but homemade ones. Loved coming back here during the summer and all the church bazaars. I dont think I have ever come out and not left weighing a little more.

Car still not done. Sitting in my Grandparents living room right now. Not sure when I will be leaving. Dont really want to be driving to late in the night. My flight leaves at 1 tomorrow from Pitt. I wish I would have rented a car. Damn.

Jillbeans

Remember my bedtime is 7:30.
hahaha
Hey I'm not Polish but my brother married a Polish gal (still knock-out gorgeous @ 55)
she never put garlic in her haluski so I don't either.
She grinds her cabbage in a meat grinder, and she doesn't use onion.
I use onion, shredded cabbage, and real butter in mine. And a pinch of celery seed. Lots of salt-n-pepa.
But what do I know I'm of Irish descent.
She also makes these deep fried cookies cut into kind of like a ribbon shape I think called Krischiki. They're dusted with powdered sugar.

showcase 66

well, being from western pa, and having russian/polish roots, i make a DAMN GOOD haluski!!!! hennie is a southern born n raised gal, and i introduced her to this stuff, and i think its the only reason she has spent the last 28 years with me))))))))))))!!!
the trick to making good haluski, is getting the onions cooked to a almost caramelized state.
you want some done almost to black, when cooked in BUTTER its even better. cutting up the cabbage small enough so it can cook properly and not be tough when you bite into it is the other trick. and for me LOT OF FREEEEEESH GARLIC!!!! thats the way my "baba"
used to make it. i cant get the good KIELBASI i had in pa, but i like to boil mine and serve with. some HORSERADISH MUSTARD on the meat is great. lots of pepper on the haluski. and its even better the 2nd day))))))))

Pretty much the way I was taught to make it,and yes the second day was always the best. I would make a large amount once a week in college. At first I couldnt get my roommates to eat it, but once they did, they were hooked. Horseradish mustard is the best on kielbasi. You cant get good horseradish my way. Its crap with no kick to it.

I think I am going back into the kitchen now and warm up some more food.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cabbage pierogis..... the best !!

How 'bout 'Duck's Blood Soup' ?? Czernina We were just talking about that on Sunday.

showcase 66

Remember my bedtime is 7:30.
hahaha
Hey I'm not Polish but my brother married a Polish gal (still knock-out gorgeous @ 55)
she never put garlic in her haluski so I don't either.
She grinds her cabbage in a meat grinder, and she doesn't use onion.
I use onion, shredded cabbage, and real butter in mine. And a pinch of celery seed. Lots of salt-n-pepa.
But what do I know I'm of Irish descent.
She also makes these deep fried cookies cut into kind of like a ribbon shape I think called Krischiki. They're dusted with powdered sugar.

Krischiki... I havent had that in years. My moms side of the family would always made this. So so good.

Not sure if I will make it by 7:30. Might have to get some coffee in the morning. Just heard back about the car. The guaranteed me that it will be ready to go at 3:30. So hopefully I will be on my way no latter than 4

Jillbeans

Hey I am up early early and I will greet you in my fuzzy hot pink bathrobe and feed you coffee and cream. You have to drive past my place to get to the airport.
:)

showcase 66

Cabbage pierogis..... the best !!

How 'bout 'Duck's Blood Soup' ?? Czernina We were just talking about that on Sunday.

Czernina. Never new how to spell it. But yes I have had it before. Probably 20+ years since I have had it. My great Grandma used to make it all the time and everyone had to eat some. Since she passed no one will make it. Most of my cousins on my moms side wont eat Haluski because it has cabbage in it. They would have tantrums when they little when it came time to eat it. ( my oldest cousin is 8 years younger than me)

showcase 66

Hey I am up early early and I will greet you in my fuzzy hot pink bathrobe and feed you coffee and cream. You have to drive past my place to get to the airport.
:)
Sounds good. I will give you a call in the morning. My family lives off of Vogal (I think that is what it is called) about 6 miles north of your place I think.

Off to see if the car is really done!!!