• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hand painted banner

paint pusher

Hi, I was reading an older thread and it said that one shot paint was no good on a banner. I have three banners to paint and was wondering what kind of paint is good, and if there is any surface preparation that needs to be done on a vinyl banner.
thanks

Mosh

The banner needs to be enamel receptive. Been 15 years since I painted one, we used to use a water-based paint from Cental Sign Supplies. Why not print it or get it printed, much cheaper when you figure your time in it.

Pat Whatley

Mosh is right on both counts. If it's an option for your project you can get a full color banner printed, hemmed and grommeted cheaper than you can buy an enamel receptive blank.

paint pusher

I actually did suggest the customer getting the banners done in vinyl, but the guy really likes my style of artwork. It was going to be a temporary sign, but the city codes will count any advertising as part of the whole store front signage. I heard that latex house paint might be an option but I figured I would ask before I jump into this.
Thank you for your advise.

Mosh

but the guy really likes my style of artwork

So draw it up and have it printed, no one said anything about vinyl. I guess I don't follow you. Or are you one of those
people stuck in the 70's thinking anything that comes out of a computer is crap?

GraphixUnlimited

I actually did suggest the customer getting the banners done in vinyl, but the guy really likes my style of artwork. It was going to be a temporary sign, but the city codes will count any advertising as part of the whole store front signage. I heard that latex house paint might be an option but I figured I would ask before I jump into this.
Thank you for your advise.

id just do the artwork, vectorize it, jazz it up as needed and print that bad boy!!! way more cost and time effective, giver though!!! and post some pics once ya get er done!!

cheers eh :Canada:

Fitch

@ Mosh: "Or are you one of those people stuck in the 70's thinking anything that comes out of a computer is crap?"

You don't have to be stuck in any era to think anything that comes out of a computer is crap.

Garbage in - Garbage out. It comes down to design. There a very bad hand painted banners and excellent digitally printed banners and vice versa. Design.

Possibly a better statement may have been "or are you one of those people stuck in the 70's that think good visual layout, negative space, lettering weight, colour usage, and blends / effects can't come out of a computer, and only achievable by hand?

There is also the possibility that Paint Pusher actually enjoys hand painting, may be good at it, quite fast, see the actual longevity of paint over ink, and not all that good or time efficient at vectorizing - horses for courses.

I agree with you on many things Mosh - just not that broad statement.

BUT.... at the same time, Paint Pusher MAY be "one of those people stuck in the 70's thinking anything that comes out of a computer is crap?"

Just think it's worth the benefit of the doubt - that's all.

Cheers - G

OldPaint

this sounds a little strange to me. IF........you been PAINTING BANNERS, and they like your work.............WHAT WAS YOU PAINTING THOSE WITH???????????
who ever told you that ONE-SHOT is no good, i dont think they know what they are talking about. so their opinion........IS NOT WORTH listening to.
NOW.........what is true about 1-SHOT, is it does not cover like it used to. whoever told you LATEX paint on banners.........again they dont know what they are talkin bout.
ever heard of RONAN?????????????

Mosh

My point was that some people think EVERYTHING that comes out of a printer is crap and only hand painted signs are worthy, that the impression I got.

+on the Ronan, but like I say the banner must be emeamel reseptive.

paint pusher

The truth is that I was born in the 70's. I have been an artist for at least 25 years. I am not opposed to computer graphics, I think the marriage of the two as far as lay out and graphics are a good thing. I have been doing sign painting ,permanent and temporary for the last five years. I have also had graphics classes from 1993 to the present. Where it stands right now I only have access to paint. I don't have a digital printer. I can do the design in vector form. I already bought the banners from a local sign shop. Do you think I could get it in vector and have someone print it for me?

http://www.wizardesigns.com/

thanks.

Mosh

I already bought the banners from a local sign shop.

I doubt that paint will stick to them then. Enamel rec banners cost more this I
bet these are not. I too was born in the 70's, I never had any classes, but been
in the sign biz since 1988, at the age of 15 is when I started.

The truth is that I was born in the 70's. I have been an artist for at least 25 years. I am not opposed to computer graphics, I think the marriage of the two as far as lay out and graphics are a good thing. I have been doing sign painting ,permanent and temporary for the last five years. I have also had graphics classes from 1993 to the present. Where it stands right now I only have access to paint. I don't have a digital printer. I can do the design in vector form. I already bought the banners from a local sign shop. Do you think I could get it in vector and have someone print it for me?

http://www.wizardesigns.com/

thanks.

There are quite a few merchant members who could do the printing for you. Pretty sure there are some in AZ, at least it close(ish) to you. Take a look in the merchant member area.

OldPaint

1-SHOT makes a PAINT ON.........paint receptive chemical. paint it on any banner, then you can paint on it.

RebeckaR

Chromatic makes a primer called ti-coat that I've used to prep banner material for 1 shot.
I think you can still get it from Mid-west Sign or probably anyone that carries Chromatic or 1 shot products.

Jillbeans

When I do a painted banner I order them via N Glantz from USBanner
(some of mine are on their photo page as well as my 101 gallery)
They make a great enamel receptive blank in a variety of colors.
They have also donated generously to my past Letterhead meets.
Since a banner is in and of itself a temporary type of sign I wouldn't worry about using 1Shot on it, even though it's not what it once was.
I would never use black or Bright Red 1S on anything, however.
I have had good results from Ronan products.
Have fun, would like to see a pic of your finished work.
Love.....Jill

JimmyG

I agree with Jill on all except using black or bright red 1S on anything...heheee....enamel receptive banners are easily found along with coatings....

Mosh specifically stated that He ain't painted a banner in 15 years, so he WAY done forgot how, except what "enamel receptive" whatever to use...LOL

Paint Pusher, if your heart inspires you to paint a banner, the go for it and paint it....1-shot and Ronan will work just fine...
Yeah, digital prints are the easy way, but if ya signmaker heart says paint, then paint that baby and KNOW you still have skills that are not easy but indeed satisfying....

:)~

Firefox

Paint Pusher,

Welcome to the forum.

How about telling us a little about yourself.

Where bouts in CA are you?