• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand painted signage pricing question

Damnitgabe

Ok so i do hand painted signage on the side of my mural painting which is the majority of my business. Been doing it for a while but never got a solid pricing structure for the signage. Since it always varies so much job to job. I’m just curious to know if anyone has a solid pricing structure that they go by or if people charge by letter? Or if I just go by square footage like I do murals? Just putting my website together and trying to figure out the pricing part for the signage. Hopefully there’s some sign painters out there!

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Ok so i do hand painted signage on the side of my mural painting which is the majority of my business. Been doing it for a while but never got a solid pricing structure for the signage. Since it always varies so much job to job. I’m just curious to know if anyone has a solid pricing structure that they go by or if people charge by letter? Or if I just go by square footage like I do murals? Just putting my website together and trying to figure out the pricing part for the signage. Hopefully there’s some sign painters out there!
Just as a guess, I'd probably do it 1) setup, 2) per letter or 2b) a bit of per letter and sqft. Alternatively setup and a per letter cost with a price / size of letter chart. Do some samples of various styles, time yourself in ideal situation and charge ideal rates based on that.

If you get fancy, you might price block letters versus serif versus script or something to get a modification for the complexity of the lettering you are doing.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Go by SQ footage. Largely Factor in your artwork /talent... Then materials x sqr ft.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Go on difficulty of type style, execution, and how many hours you think it will take. Count your overhead, materials and supplies and then put a profit on top. No way you can set up a pricing structure on custom painting. It will always come back to bite ya.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Figure out your materials cost, then figure out how long it will take to do. Multiply your labor by your shop rate (what you need to make to stay in business), then double everything.

karst41

" i do hand painted signage"
You have a sign business, and do Mural Painting.

www.signcraft.com
/sign pricing guide

dont b'ish about the $5 a month subscription. the website Rocks and is slap full of usefull information

Is the Best $5 a month you will ever spend

Z SIGNS

Pricing is hard but It's a sign. You can charge whatever you think it's worth. Tough question to answer on a forum.
Your the only one who knows the value of your work and what your willing to settle for your effort.
Your in business...........Charge as much as you think you can get and still get the job.

Billct2

Are you selling hand painted signs, or signs that you hand paint? If your market is to the people who want a handcrafted product and value the skill involved you should be charging a premium
price. I don't see a way to make that into a price chart, too many variables. Time, materials & overhead is the way to go.

SignosaurusRex

As much as you may wish to, I believe there is no way to put together a set pricing structure and post it on your website. Every job is different as well as every market. You also need to know your market, customer and competition.
Quite often you may need to explore proper materials options, etc, conduct a site survey, Provide a proposal w/ design mock-up, etc., . . . not to mention required permits (when and where applicable).
Materials and supplies etc., + estimated time x labor rate (what you want or will make you happy) + overhead %, + profit margin % etc. Additional fees, %'s, etc. may also need to be considered.

Last edited:

Damnitgabe

Go on difficulty of type style, execution, and how many hours you think it will take. Count your overhead, materials and supplies and then put a profit on top. No way you can set up a pricing structure on custom painting. It will always come back to bite ya.
Think I agree with you on this one. There’s just too many variables, each job is so different. I just put a little area (in the pricing section) where they can answer a few questions, such as siZe, font, any outlines, shading or drop shadows, placement and such. Figured it was my best bet

Damnitgabe

Are you selling hand painted signs, or signs that you hand paint? If your market is to the people who want a handcrafted product and value the skill involved you should be charging a premium
price. I don't see a way to make that into a price chart, too many variables. Time, materials & overhead is the way to go.
I do hand painted lettering pretty much. So I only paint signs directly on the buildings/walls/windows or whatever