• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Harddrive problems on HP Scitex FB500

We have one of these old UV printers, with what i believe to be a corrupted harddrive.
The machine is unable to access the disk partition where the data is stored.
The HDD consists of 2 partitions a small one being the operating system partition and the other one being a data/settings partition.
The machine boots fine but tells us there is a problem with the data drive and is unable to store settings or chose jobs.
It says data disk disablet.There is an option in the software, for us to format the data drive, but it just errors out.
We have tried different things with the harddrive including putting the drive in a different PC to have a look at the disk.
The other PC is able to see both the OS and the Data partition and running diskcheck on it dosen't reveal anything wrong with the disk.

Anyone able to point me in the right dirrection, or provide me with a complete disk image for a HP Scitex FB500?

jasonx

I had a similar issue when I had an FB700. HP don't supply the image for the HDD. They supply the HDD with the software already on it. I remember because our machine had an IDE connector and the new HDD they supplied was SATA.

greysquirrel

is this a hdd formate by hp for this printer? If not, she won't work. You cannot use an off the shelf hdd for any hp printer.

Thanks for all your answers, I know that we are not able to use an off the shelf empty HDD, it needs the special HP software (NetBSD based/UFS file system) What we are looking for is another FB500 owner that is willing to make a backup image of their harddrive and share this image with us. Owning the printer we already have the software licens for this software so no legal issue with this. I know that the easy way woud just be to get the HDD from HP, the problem is that they will not sell you the HDD alone, they force you to buy a kit with a new motherboard for compatability reasons (the old printers were IDE and the newer ones sata) so HP foreces you to upgrade the motherbord in the process because they are not able to supply the old IDE based boards anymore. Furthernore i don´t like the HP markup for standard off the shelf hardware.

jasonx

You dont need to upgrade the motherboard. Just get the image. Get a new IDE HDD and reimage that drive.

That's what I did. It's been many years since I had the image or I would share it with you.

You dont need to upgrade the motherboard. Just get the image. Get a new IDE HDD and reimage that drive.

That's what I did. It's been many years since I had the image or I would share it with you.
HELLO JASONX, I NEED YOUR HELP. CAN YOU SEND ME THE IDE IMAGE OF HP SCITEX FB500? HELP HELP

jimmyk

Did you get your hands on a HDD image or did your find another solution for it?

Having similar problems.
W-HD-4 - Job storage Disable
E-HD-5 - Failed to open job data file

Can see in logfile that its mounts Sata_0 to /Hdd and to /Jobs and I can see it creating files but when trying to access the directory or any file it doest find anything.
Filesystem checks out fine but SATA_0:b takes 111018ms to check in latest log, a couple of days ago it only took 1019ms. Both log files had the Harddrive errors.

A year ago I had problems with filesystem and restoring the HDD solved all problems. But when I try it now, like HP recommend it give me a new Error on display "Error 06100006 - Not owner".
Can´t find any info on that error other than 061xxxxx is HDD related.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
/J

Attachments

• FB500_SG21532003_20200708.txt
    121.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 340

asare

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck finding an IDE image? We are having similar problems with our FB500 and am hoping not to have to replace both the Mobo and Hard Disk.

If not, could anyone point me in the right direction for fixing this? I see that only SATA drives are available for purchase, so am I understanding correctly that it would be necessary to buy the whole new Motherboard assembly as well as the new drive?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

jasonx

No. If you get the SATA drive with the image. Buy an IDE drive and just image it across. That's what I did in the past. But I no longer have the machine or the image.

youll need a pc with an IDE and SATA port but wont need to change the printer.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Morton
it won't help you, at this point, but if you do image the hdd over with norton ghost or one of the newer programs, try to make and save an image file, which can be shared with others in the same situation.

if you want, i can post an iso of ghost (early version that works properly) or a zip to be extracted to a bootable floppy. it will have to be late in the day, though

asare

No. If you get the SATA drive with the image. Buy an IDE drive and just image it across. That's what I did in the past. But I no longer have the machine or the image.

youll need a pc with an IDE and SATA port but wont need to change the printer.

If that's the case, do you know if it would be possible to buy the SATA drive and just use it with an IDE to SATA adapter?

Thanks for the help :)

jasonx

When I had the issue I didn't try the SATA to IDE adaptor method. We were in the same situation and HP sent out a new drive which was SATA but our machine was IDE. I simply did the process as I described. I tried looking through my backups but it's been about 8 years since I did it or I'd share the image with everyone.

Nate Stone

Hi folks!

My company just purchased a used HP Scitex FB500 that we have spent a month repairing - that's another story.

However, as part of our refurbishment, we're replacing the IDE drive with a flash drive to ensure reliability.

I am making an image of the IDE hard drive as we speak. Once we complete the process, I'll post instructions for what we did and will post a link to the image.

I imagine people have given up on getting an image for these old drives, but I'm hoping I have a solution for you sometime this week.

Thanks,
--Nate

asare

Hi folks!

My company just purchased a used HP Scitex FB500 that we have spent a month repairing - that's another story.

However, as part of our refurbishment, we're replacing the IDE drive with a flash drive to ensure reliability.

I am making an image of the IDE hard drive as we speak. Once we complete the process, I'll post instructions for what we did and will post a link to the image.

I imagine people have given up on getting an image for these old drives, but I'm hoping I have a solution for you sometime this week.

Thanks,
--Nate
Hi Nate,

We are still working to get our machine fully operational. If you're able to post that image, it would be incredibly helpful!
We were planning on doing the SATA upgrade, but this might help avoid it.

In saying that, we are waiting on an initialized SATA drive and plan on imaging that disk. If this image would be helpful to anyone, I'd be happy to share it.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
If that's the case, do you know if it would be possible to buy the SATA drive and just use it with an IDE to SATA adapter?

i have never done this with your model, but, as a rule a printer's bios is not meant to handle upgrades or changes in geometry, like you would expect from a computer

i would be stunned if the ide/sata adapter worked

Nate Stone

We've had no issues since upgrading to a flash drive and an IDE-to-CompactFlash adapter. Since we used "dd" to copy the binary information of the drive directly, the system basically thinks it's still running the same IDE drive. That said, we did not expand the partition or change any sizes. So, the disk has the same sizing as the original disk (160GB even though the drive itself could store 256GB).

I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else and need to point out that you would certainly void any warranty if you do what we did. However, through one day, it's working for us. For the more conservative operators, you may want to wait a few days to hear if our good fortune continues. That said, I've done this a few times before on old manufacturing hardware and have never had a problem.

We used this adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026OYEEQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this CF disk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNB3W2J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then, we did a block-by-block copy of the source image:

sudo dd if=[DISK_OR_IMAGE_TO COPY] of=[/dev/THE_DISK_OR_IMAGE_TO_WRITE_TO] bs=1m conv=noerror,sync

If you are unfamiliar with 'dd' on Linux or Mac, there is a lot of documentation out there, but I am happy to help if needed. The key is to know which direction you are copying and arranging 'of' and 'if' correctly ('of' = output file, 'if' = input file).

For us we used an IDE-to-USB adapter to clone the original 160GB disk and then we wrote the image out to the 256GB disk using the above command.

We have a working image, so please send a private message if you'd like the link to download a copy. I'd rather not post a link openly to such a large file.

Good luck.

Here's a photo of our super-hacky yet awesome repair:

IMG_2708.jpeg

asare

We've had no issues since upgrading to a flash drive and an IDE-to-CompactFlash adapter. Since we used "dd" to copy the binary information of the drive directly, the system basically thinks it's still running the same IDE drive. That said, we did not expand the partition or change any sizes. So, the disk has the same sizing as the original disk (160GB even though the drive itself could store 256GB).

I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else and need to point out that you would certainly void any warranty if you do what we did. However, through one day, it's working for us. For the more conservative operators, you may want to wait a few days to hear if our good fortune continues. That said, I've done this a few times before on old manufacturing hardware and have never had a problem.

We used this adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026OYEEQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this CF disk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNB3W2J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then, we did a block-by-block copy of the source image:

sudo dd if=[DISK_OR_IMAGE_TO COPY] of=[/dev/THE_DISK_OR_IMAGE_TO_WRITE_TO] bs=1m conv=noerror,sync

If you are unfamiliar with 'dd' on Linux or Mac, there is a lot of documentation out there, but I am happy to help if needed. The key is to know which direction you are copying and arranging 'of' and 'if' correctly ('of' = output file, 'if' = input file).

For us we used an IDE-to-USB adapter to clone the original 160GB disk and then we wrote the image out to the 256GB disk using the above command.

We have a working image, so please send a private message if you'd like the link to download a copy. I'd rather not post a link openly to such a large file.

Good luck.

Here's a photo of our super-hacky yet awesome repair:

View attachment 152297

Hi Nate,

I've sent you a private message if you're still able to provide a link to that file.
You can also reach me at asare@longbridge.ca if that's preferable.

Thanks!