• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat Gun Hip/Belt Holster

It does look useful in an imminent 2nd or 3rd degree burns way. But with a loose torch or scalding heater gun, we are already in that zone. I have a feeling I would spin around to catch a falling panel and drag that cherry red exhaust pipe right through the one I had just finished. For less clumsy people it could be a help. I have a mobile bank truck project coming up and I am working on building some scaffolding to be able to work on the cab top wind deflector without breaking the windshield. Holster could enhance my upcoming balance beam performance.
So, people are selling something that would leave them litigiously liable? Okay...
This is not complicated physics. Heat insulation is something that has been well mitigated for quite some time. Are you suggesting that a heat gun with its airflow directed outward would somehow burn through wood and leather and scorch my leg?
Highly unlikely by any metric.
All those possible cons you stated are still present WITHOUT a holster. In fact, there are more without the holster. I am often so high up the weight of the cord pulls the heat gun off the ladder shelf and as you said, the shelf is made of plastic and cannot accommodate high heat tools.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
40 ????? I would a guessed 14 the way you handle yourself.

So, when ya can't get your way, you resort to name calling and puffing out your chest, huh ??

Yep, I'm the one with a problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, people are selling something that would leave them litigiously liable? Okay...
This is not complicated physics. Heat insulation is something that has been well mitigated for quite some time. Are you suggesting that a heat gun with its airflow directed outward would somehow burn through wood and leather and scorch my leg?
All those possible cons you stated are still present WITHOUT a holster. In fact, there are more without the holster. I am often so high up the weight of the cord pulls the heat gun off the ladder shelf and as you said, the shelf is made of plastic and cannot accommodate high heat tools.
And all this time, I thought you had a cordless heater. Now, you have a cord connected to it. Yep, I can see you tripping going up or down on a ladder. Ya oughta look into an escalator instead.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you read my full post I am not really dismissing this tool as something that could be useful. If you have ever worn something strapped to your leg or hanging off a tool belt like a cordless drill, sidearm, baton, broad sword, machete etc.. they tend to get hung up and if they are at 200+ degrees there is a good chance insulated or not, some part of your anatomy is going to get a little toasted. I'm all in on things that make my life easier/safer whether DIY or picked up at Home Depot. And yes people do sell things that open them up to liability, it's the American way.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I like to stick the heat gun in the hole in the top of the ladder and melt the plastic to the tip so that I smell burnt plastic for the rest of the day. I think a holster is a good idea in certain situations.
The only problem with that is, you can't melt the cord when you stick it in the ladder.

As opposed to a heat gun that runs out of charge within a few minutes?
Is there a cordless heat gun that does not suck absolute ass?
If so, please direct me to the proper merchant.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What a pissing match in here.

Personally, I never like things hanging off my pants, they always get caught in things... adding a cord to that seems dangerous on a ladder... but maybe not as dangerous as putting in the plastic hole on the ladder. I learned my lesson from sticking in the plastic hole, now I just lay it sideways and burn myself as it falls to the floor...

I put it on the floor or hang it off the back rungs of the ladder.

40 ????? I would a guessed 14 the way you handle yourself.

So, when ya can't get your way, you resort to name calling and puffing out your chest, huh ??

Yep, I'm the one with a problem.
Correct. You are the one with the problem.
I'm glad you at least acknowledge it.

If you read my full post I am not really dismissing this tool as something that could be useful. If you have ever worn something strapped to your leg or hanging off a tool belt like a cordless drill, sidearm, baton, broad sword, machete etc.. they tend to get hung up and if they are at 200+ degrees there is a good chance insulated or not, some part of your anatomy is going to get a little toasted. I'm all in on things that make my life easier/safer whether DIY or picked up at Home Depot. And yes people do sell things that open them up to liability, it's the American way.
Well said. Thanks for the thoughtful insight.
I am well aware of all of those potential hazards. I would rather have a place to put my heatgun. I have a feeling it would hold an inverted bernzomatic torch, too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yup. You are a certified douche-canoe. I tried to be amicable, but you seem to enjoy confrontations. I am almost 40 years old(BTW).
Good luck!
I take it back. I no longer think you're 14. I think you're in your late 50s and was sick for quite a few years and lost that time off your life and got short-changed to 40ish. Yep, that's the ticket. You're still sick.

ikarasu

As opposed to a heat gun that runs out of charge within a few minutes?
Is there a cordless heat gun that does not suck absolute ***?
If so, please direct me to the proper merchant.
https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/painting/ridgid-18v-cordless-butane-heat-gun/44734/ It uses butane combined with a battery for a pretty long lasting solution.... Not as good as a wired of course. The only downside is it uses butane... We do a lot of gas wraps and while they frown on electrical/battery heat guns, theyre allowed...where as this one is not, so when we need a cordless in the field we cant use butane... or this one. Thats why we have a crappy ryobi one for when we need it.

I personally would not use a heat gun belt. I've burnt my arm enough accidently to realize a super hot piece of metal shouldnt be resting on my person... Heck, just the fact that it tethers you... you'll walk away, itll start falling out once the cord yanks...you'll go to catch it, next thing you know your hands a blister. We have and use this... much prefer it over a belt. These days more and more vehicles are magnetless though, so its not a perfect solution....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264049126054 Theres hundreds of versions... If you go this route, make sure you get one that points the heat gun away from the vehicle... or at the very least make sure you're wrapping overtop of your newly burnt overcoat.

And for you butane lovers - https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...one-impact-magstrapz-magnetic-heat-gun-straps.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just to be clear we are still talking about a hip holster and not a:

Attachments

• hipster-holster.jpg
    hipster-holster.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 143
This one is all over the place. I don't do much in the way of wraps. I did some over the years but do more partial wraps and regular cut vinyl. I've used mostly a torch and have plenty of canisters around and I have a heat gun and some old hair dryers. I and my helper both use the hair dryers for removing old vinyl. The torch is mostly for post-heating the vinyl. The heat gun seems to be when we need more than the hair dryer, but don't have to be as exact as we can be with the torch. No way would I want something like that tugging at my waist. Ours are always resting upside down after immediate use.

unclebun

We don't stand on ladders to wrap a box truck. We use a walkboard between two stepladders. And they have these handy notches in the edge of the plastic on the top that you can run your cords through so they don't pull your tools down. But we never set a heat gun (or torch for that matter) down while it's running. Turn it off. If you can't pick it up and switch it on in one motion, practice.

You said it would potentially cause 2nd/3rd degree burns. That was where my contention was. That happened with a previous employee who(obviously) had no holster. He put it on the ladder shelf, the cord pulled it off, and instead of letting it fall(as I would have) he tried to save it and ended up grabbing the hot metal end.
I was not dismissing your point about its potential usefulness. I was contending your point about it being dangerous.
Any way I can analyze it, no holster is more dangerous and/or inconvenient than a (properly constructed) holster.
All this holster hate is quite bizarre to me. Of the dozen or so wrappers I have worked with they all agree it would a great asset.

We don't stand on ladders to wrap a box truck. We use a walkboard between two stepladders. And they have these handy notches in the edge of the plastic on the top that you can run your cords through so they don't pull your tools down. But we never set a heat gun (or torch for that matter) down while it's running. Turn it off. If you can't pick it up and switch it on in one motion, practice.
It takes time to warm up the gun. Time is money.