• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat Gun Hip/Belt Holster

https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/painting/ridgid-18v-cordless-butane-heat-gun/44734/ It uses butane combined with a battery for a pretty long lasting solution.... Not as good as a wired of course. The only downside is it uses butane... We do a lot of gas wraps and while they frown on electrical/battery heat guns, theyre allowed...where as this one is not, so when we need a cordless in the field we cant use butane... or this one. Thats why we have a crappy ryobi one for when we need it.

I personally would not use a heat gun belt. I've burnt my arm enough accidently to realize a super hot piece of metal shouldnt be resting on my person... Heck, just the fact that it tethers you... you'll walk away, itll start falling out once the cord yanks...you'll go to catch it, next thing you know your hands a blister. We have and use this... much prefer it over a belt. These days more and more vehicles are magnetless though, so its not a perfect solution....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264049126054 Theres hundreds of versions... If you go this route, make sure you get one that points the heat gun away from the vehicle... or at the very least make sure you're wrapping overtop of your newly burnt overcoat.

And for you butane lovers - https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...one-impact-magstrapz-magnetic-heat-gun-straps.
Thank you for the info. I will def look into it.

So, without a holster you burn yourself yet with no experience with a holster you assume it will be worse?
Seems like an odd conclusion.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You said it would potentially cause 2nd/3rd degree burns. That was where my contention was. That happened with a previous employee who(obviously) had no holster. He put it on the ladder shelf, the cord pulled it off, and instead of letting it fall(as I would have) he tried to save it and ended up grabbing the hot metal end.
I was not dismissing your point about its potential usefulness. I was contending your point about it being dangerous.
Any way I can analyze it, no holster is more dangerous and/or inconvenient than a (properly constructed) holster.
All this holster hate is quite bizarre to me. Of the dozen or so wrappers I have worked with they all agree it would a great asset.
No hate from me.
There's more than one way to skin a cat. But in the end, I don't think the cat really cares.

This one is all over the place. I don't do much in the way of wraps. I did some over the years but do more partial wraps and regular cut vinyl. I've used mostly a torch and have plenty of canisters around and I have a heat gun and some old hair dryers. I and my helper both use the hair dryers for removing old vinyl. The torch is mostly for post-heating the vinyl. The heat gun seems to be when we need more than the hair dryer, but don't have to be as exact as we can be with the torch. No way would I want something like that tugging at my waist. Ours are always resting upside down after immediate use.
Tugging at your waist? As opposed to pulling the tool down off the ladder? The cord tension can be mitigated if there is a stable place for the gun to be in. I can wrap it strategically to keep it out of the way and relieve any tension.
This is not rocket surgery.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
May I inquire...... how does a cord pull a piece of equipment off a ladder, shelf or wherever ?? Doesn't it need some coaxing ??

letterman7

And oddly Gino, I was thinking about a something to hang a heat gun from my belt on Tuesday, as I was working areas that needed heat quite often and had no place to put the gun where it was easily reached. For guys that do the work alone, like me, extra hangers and mechanical hands are a necessity.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I understand that. I think it is a good idea to find a place to put the gun, torch or whatever, but to hang it on your hip, just sounds too dangerous. Whether one is using a single ladder, walk plank or a stage, by themselves or in a group, hanging a flame thrower on your hip seems like the last thing I'd wanna do. I'd rather have some apparatus from which to hang the hot thing, besides so close to skin. In winter time, anyway around here, you could really do some serious damage because you'd have quite a bit of insulation on you and wouldn't know it was burning ya, til ya smelled it.

It's a good start, but for this guy, I think more thinking needs to be done before making a pattern for a wooded and aluminum heat gun holster. Cripes, now ya'd be lugging more sh!t around up in those high places. That's all I need.

Tugging at your waist? As opposed to pulling the tool down off the ladder? The cord tension can be mitigated if there is a stable place for the gun to be in. I can wrap it strategically to keep it out of the way and relieve any tension.
This is not rocket surgery.
My aren't we a bit testy? I'm not going to argue with the likes of you over something so silly but if I'm not entitled to my thoughts and experience without being made fun of then you might consider rethinking your own dull conversations. Why not spend some time figuring out what else we can put into our landfills?
Strategic cord manipulation? Whose talking about rocket surgery now? :dog42:

jwlllpl

I know it seems silly after reading everything here but I like the idea of this. IV stand for under $50 bucks and its on wheels with adjustable height. Gotta love that.

1628264327628.png

ikarasu

Thank you for the info. I will def look into it.

So, without a holster you burn yourself yet with no experience with a holster you assume it will be worse?
Seems like an odd conclusion.
Yes. I'm a klutz. Whether the gun is on the floor and I roll into it with my Mechanic chair and burn my leg, or in dangling it while stretching a piece of vinyl... Or it's sitting into a ladder and I reach for it..

I've done so many wraps and installs I could do them blindfolded, but I have a love hate relationship with heat guns.

I do assume it will be worse, with all of the stretching and bending and moving around I can't see how you're not going to rub against it. And while it does seem to have some sort of insulation and a big tube on the end that heat still has to go somewhere. Whether it is out the other end of the tube which would likely be warming you up which is reason alone for me to not want to use one when it is 120° out these days, but I can easily see my arm resting along the side and getting burnt.

I could be wrong, and it's not like it's $1,000 tool, so the only way to find out is to test it. If it works for you that's great.. if not there are other options.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I like to stick the heat gun in the hole in the top of the ladder and melt the plastic to the tip so that I smell burnt plastic for the rest of the day. I think a holster is a good idea in certain situations.
This is exactly what I do. And sometimes I enjoy burning holes in my sweatshirts, burnt fabric has a nice smell as well!