• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello. Bella From NY

vinylnewbie69

Hello everyone.

I am so happy to find this site and hopefully I can gain some knowledge from all of you.

I am venturing into vinyl decals and signs. My first step is to find the best and most economical suppliers of wall vinyl and vinyl for decals.

I am hoping for success with this and hopefully make a few dollars to help
raise our 4 kids : )

thanks much in advance for any help in the future.

Bella

Ken

Hello Bella.
For interior vinyl, you can get away with the lower quality vinyl, usually rated for 3 - 5 years. It will last longer than that because it is not directly impacted by sunlight and variable weather. Make sure you are applying to a vinyl friendly surface...usually an oil based painted surface.
As for suppliers, sorry, I'm in Canada..so cant really comment on that but I'm sure there are many members here from the east coast who will give you guidance on that.
Welcome to our world from BC, Canada.
Cheers!
Ken

iSign

If you charge enough, like you should... then the cost of the raw materials on a wall vinyl job might be 1/10th of the price the client pays... especially if you are installing the graphics... but even for cut vinyl only, your clients price might be 500% of the vinyl cost.

...so, I am going to disagree with Ken, because in my experience, a lot of lower quality vinyl leave adhesive residue on the wall, where the high performance material does not. I've also found the adhesive to be better on the more expensive cast vinyls than the cheaper calendared vinyl... AND, on painted interior walls, poor adhesive has given me more grief than any other surface... PLUS, if there is ever the slightest texture to the wayy, a cast film is far better suited for being pushed into the texture with a felt squeegee, and resulting in acceptable adhesion, vs. falling off in a week. I lost big bucks on a job for that exact mistake...

...and back to my point above, while you may pay double, or even triple for better quality material... you only need to mark up the job 5 - 10% for your customer to have fully paid for the difference... and you can sleep better at night!

Ken

Thanks Doug, If a person wants to minimize inventory, which is usually a good idea..might as well carry the good stuff.
Just charge accordingly. Some might appreciate the cost savings of lower quality vinyl on an indoor application.
Cheers!
Ken

iSign

I agree with you there Ken.

Since Bella is a person new to vinyl, I felt I should add my concerns to the conversation, but I haven't used every intermediate vinyl either, so there may be some that do better than what I've encountered... and knowing there are materials 3 times more or less expensive than other similar looking materials... well, that will certainly be something new people will wonder about & want to learn about.