• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello From Wisconsin

digimon81

Hi All,

Kyle here. Just Wanted to introduce myself. Been involved in screen printing since I was a little boy and my father ran a small screen printing shop out of our basement... then out of our garage... and now 25 years later we are doing it big. Just bought two digital printers about 7 or 8 months ago, Roland Versa Camm 540i and a Gerber Solar Ion X. Started checking out this site to see if anybody has any ideas on how to get Gerber UV ink to stick to acrylic. I've read one post yesterday which suggested using a spray on primer. Anybody else want to weigh in on my dilemma? :thankyou:

Last edited by a moderator:

threeputt

Welcome to the forum from the Great Pacific Northwest!

Not totally sure this would work, but if practicable, I think I'd experiment with something called Dura-Coat Enamel Receptive. It's a milky, waterbase
liquid which dries clear and very fast.

Roll it on with a fine nap roller like a foam roller.

digimon81

Thank You Bogie Man (three putt), I will give it a try. But between me and you... I'd rather be golfing ;)

MikePro

Greetings from Racine, WI!

no experiences with UV inks, but if you can't get anything else to work... cant you just laminate with a clear UVink receptive material?

seaserpent

My understanding from Gerber is the ion ink will stick well to extruded acrylic, but not cast acrylic. Haven't tried it ourselves.

For what it's worth . . . If you need to print to something like .020 matte polycarbonate (reverse print) don't waste your time . . . unless . . . you buy this product:

Kromaplex reverse print polycarbonate from Regal Graphics. It's made for solvent printing but prints great on the Gerber. One thing: Do not wipe with alcohol before printing. Cuts into the coating and is a mess. The coating is fairly sensitive. Must be very careful if back spraying with white. We gave up on that. What works one day, will not work tomorrow. Very strange. Laminating with white backing is perfect.

www.regalgraphics.com