• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help pricing these trucks

macieldesign

Hello,

I've never done something this big so I was wondering what you guys think is a good price?

2 trucks. One truck is 54"x177" and the other is 90"x30'.. and the backs are pretty much the same in size for both (64"x79")

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• big.jpg
    big.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 142
  • small.jpg
    small.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 117
S

scarface

Not sure if this is in the ballpark but i'm coming up with $1161 for the bread truck one and $886 for the box truck one.

168.5 square feet for 2 sides and the rear on the bread truck and 92 square feet on the box truck roughly

mbarden

Please, get rid of the scrolls in the corners of the truck. That is such an amature thing to do. Do a search on truck graphics on this forum. You will see hundreds of examples of wonderful layouts. You will also see hundreds of examples of what not to do. If you are interested in making this a profession please take the time to learn.
One way to price things is by the square ft. the other way is cost plus. Figure out how much time and materials the job is going to take. You should know what each of those is going to cost you then mark them up appropriatley to cover your costs and make a profit on the job.
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

signguy 55

I'd be around $800 -$900 for the small, $1000 - $1100 for the big. I could cut and weed all the vinyl in half a day for each truck, figure a day to apply, figuring in interruptions, etc., less if you had a helper.

I would work on the layout, very boring (I know this is just an idea but your lettering is off center). As a customer I wouldn't (and don't) have a clue what this company did. Add a tag line, add some color, change the fonts, add a diamond or triangle graphic in a contrasting color to break up the monotony and lead the eye to read the message. Extra colors or outlines would add to the cost.

Check out some old Signcrafts or go the the grocery store and walk the aisles to get some ideas.

macieldesign

Thanks for all your input. Around 800 and 1000 is what I had came up with as well.

mbarden, I feel you on the corners. This is what the customer asked for. He said he's had it on all his trucks. That was the layout he gave me. It must be working for him if he keeps putting them on his trucks.

signguy 55

You need to get your hands on the latest Signcraft, had a great article about the idea "I did what the customer wanted, I got paid, everybody was happy."

Spend about 20 minutes at the computer, give the guy a more eyecatching layout, you may be able to upsell and make more money.
Many customers don't have the time or the desire to even think about something different. I have done this in the past, you'd be surprised the reaction you get when the customer sees a cool design, especially when it has their name on it.

Even Pepsi, UPS, FedEx, change logos to reflect a changing economy, have you noticed WalMart lately? I heard they are going to spend over $20 million dollars to redo all their vehicles and stores, they'll probably spend more than that. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose, by the way the corners look like something for an antique store.

SignManiac

One of the most important parts of this business, and a responsibility that we all have, is to educate the client and in order to do that, you need the knowledge to begin with yourself.

Unfortunately, the majority of people in the sign business today do not have the required knowledge to do this and that is why we have clients telling us how we should be doing our jobs. So who's the real professional?

Oh, and this isn't pointed at the original poster of this thread, just an observation...

Last edited:

thesignguy1986

I would price it as...

I would definatlly agree with getting rid of the scrolls on the corners. I was looking it over and for both trucks I would have to say around $1600 installed. My question is though what are you using for vinyl? 9 yr? 7 yr? 4yr? You have to make sure its not a shorter outdoor vinyl or else I'd be upset if the lettering is coming off a year afterward. Hope it helps and don't forget your going to probably need help with an installer or 2 so you must figure in the price for that as well.

OldPaint

iam always saying....SQUARE FOOT PRICING..........and a good start point is $10 a sq ft. this one is perfect for that. each side is A SIGN!!!
the big one is 70 s.f. per side x 2=140 s.f. X $10 s.f.=$1400 + 35 s.f. on the back for 35 s.f. X $10=$350.
so the big one should be $1750.00.
the small one is 24 s.f. per side, so its 24s.f. X 2= 48 s.f. X$10=$480 + 35s.f. rear 35 X$10=$350 for a total of $930. so you really need to charge a little more on the big one.........the small one is bout right.

macieldesign

Thanks for all the advise. The pics I posted were provided by the customer. He said we wanted something very simple like his other trucks. I made one myself to see if he'll like it. Constructive criticism welcomed.

As far as people not knowing what it is, it reduces emissions of soot, smog-forming pollutants, and other toxic air pollution caused by diesel-powered vehicles. Mostly caused by big rigs. And in the Port of Oakland, i believe that it is required now, so I guess its geared towards the people that know about what it is.

Attachments

• diesel2.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 140

lacarrye

Great Example!!! Now Answer this question Please; When maceildesign go home with his check x let say $2,000 (both trucks) and he pays all operating costs, taxes, marketing, ...
how much NET profit he made (to his pocket!), can anyone give me a number? I'm developing a formula which is very accurate, but it needs your numbers, so please give me an estimate. Regards, John

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stick with the original design.............................. and welcome from PA...............

Circleville Signs

LaCarrye,

Dude/Dudette/whatever. Stop trying to hijack the thread. You want that info, JOIN AS A PREMIUM MEMBER. It's $7.50. If you're planning on going intot he sign business, and you don't have $7.50, stay out of the sign business.

Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know... I think this is that reverend from South Africa and he's moved to Florida.

Craig Sjoquist

I LIKE THE SCROLLS with borders even look better tho and change the color to a gray maybe..if the customer likes them hey I'm all for it just make them more decorative and harmonize it will give it a old look
I'd even work on fonts so appear a older look it would really rock the house then