• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with pricing!

divers2deep

Hey guys, First off please advise me if im in the wrong category for this.

I am brand new to the industry and taking it very slow. Im a full time firefighter in FL, therefore i can afford to do this. My set up is as follows :

Roland VS540 , with 54" laminator.

I'm doing a job that is 56" x 33", full color with lam, on .63 aluminum substrate ($98.00 per 4*8 sheet).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. In my area im seeing a lot of really poorly done work, banding, grainy, etc... These are the shops doing things for very little profit. I am not looking to work for free. I want to start a reputation based on quality, not how cheap i can be.

I have an extensive background in graphics designs but the sign making is new, so far Im having a blast with it.

Thanks for everyones time.

Kevin

visual800

$380 is what I would have charged BUT I do not have my own printer so I assume that would be different for you I do not know. This is without install of course

Last edited:

DizzyMarkus

Im a full time firefighter in FL, therefore i can afford to do this.

Wondering what this meant?

Im a full time carpenter --- does that mean I cant afford to do this? lol just busting but the prinnter,cutter, and lamm should be the ones able to afford it.

Markus

divers2deep

Sorry for the confusion, what i meant by saying " i can afford to take slow ", is i do not need the income to pay my bills, therefore, i will not be low balling by any means and take on profitable jobs only. Id rather be on the fishing! I'm not doing this for free and everyone here knows how costly these printer/equipment can be. Thanks for the replies.

Techman

I'm not doing this for free and everyone here knows how costly these printer/equipment can be

Yes but at less than 20% of market value you might as well be doing those for free.

HulkSmash

you should consider premium if you want to discuss pricing in length -- but 150 is stupid low. Most companies will charge well over 7 bucks a SF for die cut stickers with a quantity discount

Stuckup

Ouch, he's put it out there, no need to bag him for having the guts to do it is there? LOL, why call him a lowballer, he obviously isnt out to get us is he, or undercut all, or he would not have posted this thread. He just doesnt know yet, that costs are way above what they seem, that one has to allow for unpaid work on quotes, stolen artwork, re doing jobs that some suppliers/manufacturers wont warranty, failures, stuff ups, out right con men, learning curve etc. Give him a break.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ouch, he's put it out there, no need to bag him for having the guts to do it is there? LOL, why call him a lowballer, he obviously isnt out to get us is he, or undercut all, or he would not have posted this thread. He just doesnt know yet, that costs are way above what they seem, that one has to allow for unpaid work on quotes, stolen artwork, re doing jobs that some suppliers/manufacturers wont warranty, failures, stuff ups, out right con men, learning curve etc. Give him a break.

No.

• Give the real professionals a break.
  • Give the people doing this full time a break.
  • Give the honest people a break.... by that I mean people learning on their own, instead of an internet learning center for DIY-ers.
  • Give the hacks all the crap you want.
  • Give the wannabies what they deserve.

Give help where one sees fit and live by it. If someone wants to help another fellow sign person, that's great. If someone wants to get a feel for if a guy/gal are real..... feel them out first, before giving away the farm... again, fine.

Sure, we're all here to help and train the others, but when something smells fishy [not saying this OP is, but you, Stucko, brought the remark up and I'm addressing your remark and your remark only]....you deal with it immediately. You don't break a bone in your arm and if it doesn't mend in a few weeks, then go to the doctor.... you address the situation immediately and have it dealt with on the spot.

Giving people all the benefit of the doubt is kinda silly to me in certain areas. Because someone says they are new is no reason to say.... well, ya gotta learn or start somewhere.

I'm old school and to get into the thick, you need to talk the talk a little and walk the walk to at least be considered. Does that exclude newbies ?? Nope, not at all. However, it doesn't give a newbie or an old timer the ability to be accepted, just on a mere say-so.

If you wanted to join a Mustang club and only had a Honda... will you be allowed in ?? I mean, you still have a motor, tires, steering wheel and an exhaust system, but is it a Mustang ?? So, you could probably join as a social member, but you won't be allowed in anything other than parties. You won't go to the shows with your ride, let alone get any prizes for anything, but you'll be rubbing elbows with all the right people that can help you and perhaps, you'll find a way to get a Mustang faster with their help, then on your own. Once you get one, you can become a full-fledged member, but you'll now have to start learning about your new passion and climb the ropes the way each and every other club member did.

There are no short-cuts in life or business, unless you're filthy rich, but then........ who cares, huh ??

cdiesel

+1 Gino.

Stucko.. you seem to be a little too easy on new guys. Learning is for school, not running a business. He doesn't even understand pricing and he's out there doing work. Great business model.

Stuckup

K Gino I get what you are saying, I need to distinguish between where I am and most of you are, I live in Australia and the economy is OK, and am working 6 or 7 days a week, not enough people wanting to work. Not many show initiative. Here if someone helps you, and you rip them off, then you are fair game, you are history and no mercy. After the fact not before. I thought some were bullies here, thanks for KMB, cheers.

Oh and yeh, people in trade first, years in the game are first, tradesmen first. Cant beat experience, and as a contractor I get continually asked for my card. LOL, who ever sends me on a job, their card is my card. Stuff the disloyal client, can just take so much in life of users and losers, Loyalty is all there is.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
K Gino I get what you are saying, I need to distinguish between where I am and most of you are, I live in Australia and the economy is OK, and am working 6 or 7 days a week, not enough people wanting to work. Not many show initiative. Here if someone helps you, and you rip them off, then you are fair game, you are history and no mercy. After the fact not before. I thought some were bullies here, thanks for KMB, cheers.

Oh and yeh, people in trade first, years in the game are first, tradesmen first. Cant beat experience, and as a contractor I get continually asked for my card. LOL, who ever sends me on a job, their card is my card. Stuff the disloyal client, can just take so much in life of users and losers, Loyalty is all there is

:ROFLMAO: Are you in the middle of drinking some Aussie-Aussie-Aussie libations or something ??