• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey flatbed CNC guys

jiarby

I want to make a couple vinyl racks so I drew them up and have everything laid out on a 4x8 sheet. My plan was to find a local guy with a 4x8 flatbed CNC to cut it out for me. 3/4" plywood.

My questions:

1. Can he use an EPS file?
2. How close can I pack things together in the layout?
3. How much do I allow for kerf??
4. How close to the edges of the sheet can I go?
5. What should I expect to pay a guy to cut this out if I provide the sheet? Or... would they prefer to provide the wood?

I will sand, then paint/finish.

Attachments

• 3-11-2010 11-00-00 AM.jpg
    3-11-2010 11-00-00 AM.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 111

J Hill Designs

eps? most likely

how close? depends on bit size...I like to leave a little extra room in mine

kerf? same as bit size

close to end? fairly

how much? maybe hourly usage including file setup

all in all: just ask the producer

jiarby

I have not found a guy yet, just wanted to be ready before posting something... I was going to post the job on Craigslist.

What size bit would you use to cut 3/4 plywood?

Should I draw the finished dimension, or add a contour the thickness of the kerf to yield teh finished size I want?

ridefst

Probably would use either 1/4" carbide or 1/2" diamond.
Just space it out as much as you can on the 4x8. If you end up with only .3 spacing, then he'll have to use a 1/4" bit, no problem there, just don't count on anything smaller being available.

SignManiac

1/4" bit would be fine with multiple passes. I charge $100 per hour and that would fall into that range if I were doing it with you supplying material. If I supplied the material, I would just add the delivered cost of the material to me.

UFB Fabrication

Most router guys will set all the paramitors up and nest them. It looks like it will fit fine. A 1/4" -1/2" up down cutter should buzz thru that job quickly.

PGSigns

I don't think you need 1.5" between and inch would be more than enough. With 3/4 ply I would use a 3/8" bit. Check the shopbot forums for a router guy in your area.
Jimmy

jiarby

I found a guy based on a recommendation from a customer, but have not heard back from him yet... Thx for all the advice. I added extras to the file... no need to waste the wood, and someone on Craigslist will buy one, making mine free!

one version holds 12x 50yd rolls
the other is 4x 50yd rolls & 12x 10yd rolls
A shortie version is narrower (6" wide instead of 8"). It holds 10x 10yd rolls.

The tall ones are 7 feet tall x 8" deep. Teh short one is 6" deep and 47" tall.
Designed for 1.25"dia sched40 PVC. 30" wide + end caps so they do not slide off.

My yield from the 4x8 is 2 whole large racks and 1 short rack. MAYBE I could pinch in another 6" one, but I thought that would really pinch the kerf of they use a 1/2" bit.

With a 3/8 bit and 3/4" spacing I could yield another piece I think

Attachments

• 3-11-2010 8-27-21 PM.jpg
    3-11-2010 8-27-21 PM.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 3-11-2010 8-26-59 PM.jpg
    3-11-2010 8-26-59 PM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 3-11-2010 8-26-28 PM.jpg
    3-11-2010 8-26-28 PM.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 3-11-2010 8-33-56 PM.jpg
    3-11-2010 8-33-56 PM.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 92

TCC

Premium Subscriber
I would nest at 7/16" to 1/2" part spacing and 1/8" outside sheet trim with a 3/8" compression bit. I think you will find alot of cnc shops will cut by the sheet, going rate of $30.00 a sheet or so plus materials. EPS or DXF and let them nest it. Load in Enroute or Alpha Cam, nest & start cutting. I have a couple of them about like that drawn for holding my 54" vinyl to cut, I think they will work out great. Yours look great, they should be nice. :thumb:

jiarby

***UPDATE***

Picked up a nice clean sheet of 3/4" Plywood at Homer's place and it is back from the CNC guy. He has a 4x8 shopbot and used a 3/8 spindle.

Best of all... he wants me to make some business cards for him as a barter for him cutting the sheet!

Now I have to paint the dang things... maybe. I added some notches to flush mount the back braces... now the thing will be flush with the wall.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 104

mtmdesigns

I would nest at 7/16" to 1/2" part spacing and 1/8" outside sheet trim with a 3/8" compression bit. I think you will find alot of cnc shops will cut by the sheet, going rate of $30.00 a sheet or so plus materials. EPS or DXF and let them nest it. Load in Enroute or Alpha Cam, nest & start cutting. I have a couple of them about like that drawn for holding my 54" vinyl to cut, I think they will work out great. Yours look great, they should be nice.

$30 dollars?

iSign

$100 min with nesting done for me... $30? never...
I wouldn't cut store hours out of vinyl for $30.. to hell with saving someone 4 hours of jigsaw work for $30, that's lunacy!

andy

Gotta love the sign trade...

Only morons in this industry would CUSTOM cut a full sheet of plywood for LESS than the cost of the wood.

The guy who got the best deal? The timber merchant who made more profit simply dumping a sheet on the back of a truck.... more money, no skill and all done in less than 5 minutes.

jiarby

It was definitely a good deal for me... I was ready with $100 in my pocket but he offered to barter for a set of business cards.

I have spent about an hour making his business cards, so maybe time-wise it was a push.

**NOTE**
We have the same thing happen with our laser... customer sends a file and we laser cut it on their stock. (like architecture models) I charge $1.50/minute with a $25 minimum.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't paint it. You'll have all kinds of rubbing problems and paint sticking to things where it shouldn't. Before you paint.... consider a coat of wood sealer and then a top coat of varnish or urethane.... and forget the paint