• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiking signs

Has anyone here ever made signs for hiking areas that advise hikers to use their cell phones to take photos of the trail maps in case they get lost? If so, how did you word them?

J Hill Designs

"we advise hikers to photograph this map for future reference, or in case of an emergency"

edit: never made one, but that is how I would word it

Well, you're way more clever than I, because I couldn't come up with anything quite that simple and to the point. I think you worded it perfectly. Thank you.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Has anyone here ever made signs for hiking areas that advise hikers to use their cell phones to take photos of the trail maps in case they get lost? If so, how did you word them?

A sign maker should never, ever, write copy. The client gets to determine what it's going to say, you get to determine how it's going to say it. Maintain this division of labor religiously.

A sign maker should never, ever, write copy. The client gets to determine what it's going to say, you get to determine how it's going to say it. Maintain this division of labor religiously.

Of course, but they don't know how they want them worded, so I'm only offering suggestions in this particular case.

Billct2

Actually I have been a copywriter more than a few times for my biggest customer...they'll call up with the "problem" the sign needs to solve, describe what they're thinking about and usually say "You word it how you think it work best"...and I do. Maybe it's because I had a lot of Marketing classes, but I enjoy it and my client values my expertise, which leads to more business. If they want to just have something produced they could go to Staples or online.

Actually I have been a copywriter more than a few times for my biggest customer...they'll call up with the "problem" the sign needs to solve, describe what they're thinking about and usually say "You word it how you think it work best"...and I do. Maybe it's because I had a lot of Marketing classes, but I enjoy it and my client values my expertise, which leads to more business. If they want to just have something produced they could go to Staples or online.

+1 for this! I regularly have a guy come in and say we need a sign that does this. Just make something up and send me a proof. 9 out of 10 times they go with what I made.

Marlene

are you serious? write copy and rewrite copy every day. client gives the message and we help by taking out all the bull not needed or write it for them from what they tell us. jsut did a sign that was "designed" by a very large org that was a no parking sign. it read "parkers will be towed". I left it alone as it came from a designer for this people and am remaking them as they are stupid sounding and they hate them

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
are you serious? write copy and rewrite copy every day. client gives the message and we help by taking out all the bull not needed or write it for them from what they tell us. jsut did a sign that was "designed" by a very large org that was a no parking sign. it read "parkers will be towed". I left it alone as it came from a designer for this people and am remaking them as they are stupid sounding and they hate them

Serious? Absolutely.

If I were presented with the same circumstances as you describe I would have remarked that "parkers will be towed"is a rather clumsy and ungrammatical way to convey whatever message that they were attempting to convey. The client probably would respond "How would you say it?" To which I would just naturally respond "Not that way." Criticizing copy is not the same as writing copy. I'm more than happy to do the former, I will not do the latter.

Bye the bye, "parkers will be towed" does not mean the same thing as 'No Parking." The former is a penalty, the latter is a directive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I hafta agree with bob. We are not the creator of verbiage for someone else's sign, especially if there are going to be legal ramifications later. We can recommend, suggest corrections and even make additional copy or take away to make something more clear, but we should not be the sole creator.

One thing I always do if they ask me to word something...... before we do this, run it by your attorney first.
Sure, we have a lotta experience in this stuff, but that doesn't make us right.

You say something wrong or give crossed signals and they'll be at your doorstep in a heartbeat. Look what you did.... or caused !!!!!!

Marlene

Serious? Absolutely.

If I were presented with the same circumstances as you describe I would have remarked that "parkers will be towed"is a rather clumsy and ungrammatical way to convey whatever message that they were attempting to convey. The client probably would respond "How would you say it?" To which I would just naturally respond "Not that way." Criticizing copy is not the same as writing copy. I'm more than happy to do the former, I will not do the latter.

Bye the bye, "parkers will be towed" does not mean the same thing as 'No Parking." The former is a penalty, the latter is a directive.

so you wouldn't lay your Mr Smarty pants abilities on them or anyone who does writes their own copy in really bad way, only point it out with no suggestions? I didn't with this one as these guys are huge and do things their own way and usually don't want any help. on a normal customer, I would have told them this wasn't a great way to say no parking or you'll be towed. the only good thing about this was they didn't say please or thank you. that one really bugs me as you use the words please like I have a choice and then say I'll be towed, thank you, thank you for what?

CanuckSigns

I hafta agree with bob. We are not the creator of verbiage for someone else's sign, especially if there are going to be legal ramifications later. We can recommend, suggest corrections and even make additional copy or take away to make something more clear, but we should not be the sole creator.

One thing I always do if they ask me to word something...... before we do this, run it by your attorney first.
Sure, we have a lotta experience in this stuff, but that doesn't make us right.

You say something wrong or give crossed signals and they'll be at your doorstep in a heartbeat. Look what you did.... or caused !!!!!!

I know everyone is sue happy down there, but you seriously run the wording of a No Parking sign by your lawyer first?...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know everyone is sue happy down there, but you seriously run the wording of a No Parking sign by your lawyer first?...

:readthread: The thread is about trail signs and proper wording. Somehow, some people got the thread twisted around and confused people.... like you. Comprendre ?? However, the parking signs do not need an attorney in most instances. I had one, one time that said 'all violators will be shot'. Do you think I did that without consultation ?? Do yourself a favor and try to stay with the program up there !!!

More so than sue-happy.... almost all of us carry. :wink:

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
+1 for this! I regularly have a guy come in and say we need a sign that does this. Just make something up and send me a proof. 9 out of 10 times they go with what I made.

Yeah I agree. I have several customers that appreciate the fact that I can help them turn their idea into concise and effective copy; it's one of the things that help me differentiate my services.

SolitaryT

I'd word it like this: "IF YOU'RE ON A TRAIL THAT'S CLEARLY MARKED AND STILL NEED YOUR CELL PHONE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO GO, USE IT TO CALL 911 FOR ASSISTANCE NOW AND SAVE THE TAXPAYERS AND FIRST RESPONDERS SOME TIME. IF YOU INSIST ON CARRYING A CELL PHONE ANYWAY, PLEASE TURN AROUND IMMEDIATELY." Maybe add, in a small map on the bottom, directions to the nearest Starbucks.

J Hill Designs

I'd word it like this: "IF YOU'RE ON A TRAIL THAT'S CLEARLY MARKED AND STILL NEED YOUR CELL PHONE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO GO, USE IT TO CALL 911 FOR ASSISTANCE NOW AND SAVE THE TAXPAYERS AND FIRST RESPONDERS SOME TIME. IF YOU INSIST ON CARRYING A CELL PHONE ANYWAY, PLEASE TURN AROUND IMMEDIATELY." Maybe add, in a small map on the bottom, directions to the nearest Starbucks.

so, you leave your phone at home when you go hiking?

You're from Salida, eh? I love that Monarch powder. Can't wait to go back again, someday.