• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiring a business coach

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Has anyone utilized the service of a business coach, or related courses/workshops to help grow your business and also improve yourself as a business owner? I'm personally so overwhelmed I don't know where to begin. I recently met with a highly recommended business coach and need to figure out if the cost and time input is worth it.

Apologies in advance if this brings a certain "listener" out of hiding.
Check out SCORE

Being mostly a one man operation, I have to do everything and some jobs I hate. I don't like designing on the computer. I would drag out jobs forever and have clients bug me about it. Everytime I look at my list and see something that needed design I get a bad feeling and move on and regret skipping it. I like moving around and actually building things, so I mostly stopped taking jobs that require design. Yes, I loose work, but mentally it clears me up and I'm not as stressed. Thankfully I have plenty of non-design jobs come in that I have the choice.

I know it sounds extreme for a sign company to not want to design anything.. but that's the part I don't like and realizing I can make it work without it is good for me. Maybe figure out what parts you hate doing / procrastinate and get rid of it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Check out SCORE

Being mostly a one man operation, I have to do everything and some jobs I hate. I don't like designing on the computer. I would drag out jobs forever and have clients bug me about it. Everytime I look at my list and see something that needed design I get a bad feeling and move on and regret skipping it. I like moving around and actually building things, so I mostly stopped taking jobs that require design. Yes, I loose work, but mentally it clears me up and I'm not as stressed. Thankfully I have plenty of non-design jobs come in that I have the choice.

I know it sounds extreme for a sign company to not want to design anything.. but that's the part I don't like and realizing I can make it work without it is good for me. Maybe
figure out what parts you hate doing / procrastinate and get rid of it?

That would probably be..... dealing with people. People are the craziest thing in the entire equation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That would probably be..... dealing with people. People are the craziest thing in the entire equation.
I think you like dealing with people. If there was no one to yell at, what would you do all day? You'd have to go make signs....:roflmao:

Johnny Best

Had a lawyer friend who put his kid in Little League baseball team. After the first game and watching his kid strike out and jumping out of the way of a pitch in fear of getting hit he decided to get him his own personal baseball coach to teach him how to play better. The kid was not interested in playing baseball but he tried his best learning the game. He did get better and ended up playing high school ball.
I ran into him at one of my grandson's ball games where the former son of my lawyer friend had two kids, a boy and a daughter on my grandson's team. We started talking about when he was a kid with the coach his father hired to teach him ball. He said he never wanted to really play baseball but he knew his father wanted him to be competitive and he wanted to please his father. He said he plays ball with his kids but not to be the best but to have fun playing and hanging out with kids their own age for social fun. And to hang out with his kids and have fun that he never had with his father.
So when I read this post at the beginning and read where the poster needed a coach to improve their business I thought back to this young kid whose father wanted him to learn. So you might get a "life" coach but the things you need to learn will not be from them but things you find out on your own.

GB2

Old Member
I belong to a B2B networking group and although I am an extremely poor public speaker, it has proved to be a great experience. It has forced me to slightly improve my speaking apprehension, it has provided friendships and associations with area business owners, it keeps me in the loop as to what's happening in my town and it has given me thousands in business opportunities. That being said, it is not a way to get out from under a mountain of overwhelm.

At one of our meetings, we had a guest speaker that was a business coach who offered a free consultation, so I took advantage of that and met with him. He was a pleasant fellow but after our meeting, I felt that he would be nothing but a cheerleader and would not actually give me anything substantial. The cost was also far beyond what I thought he could accomplish. I'm sure there are good coaches out there but I think there is about 95% that are not really worthwhile.

I am running 3+ businesses and I always have the same feelings of being overwhelmed and I know what I need to do but find it almost impossible, instead I keep trying to expand and grow. What really needs to happen is to slow down, take a step backwards, clean up your act and then proceed with focus and clarity. Do you need a business plan? Sure, but doesn't the thought of developing a business plan just give you stress and make you feel even more overwhelmed? It does for me...

If I could give you some simple starting advice, it would be slow down, even if you have to put customers off for a short period you need to keep the train from running off the track. Next, get organized, clean up your spaces, clear your desk, sort things out in piles if you need to...bills, work orders, things to do, materials, quotes, jobs waiting, whatever it is that you have. Prioritize these things you just organized in order of importance. Then...and this is the most important thing....take one small manageable thing and work on it until it's finished, then take another and do the same. Soon you'll have a feeling of success in what you are doing and eventually you will be caught up and organized, after that reach down deep in yourself to do everything you can to keep from falling back into old habits but instead try hard to maintain your organizational success. Typically this feeling of being overwhelmed is because you are looking at too large a picture and it is crushing you, you should only look at and deal with things in manageable sizes, whether that is all the things on your desk or all the things you are trying to do with your business, and then complete them, don't leave things half done.

One of the greatest factors for small business failure is trying to do too much, trying to expand too fast. You need to do one thing well before you can do ten different things...you know, you need to crawl before you can walk and you need to walk with confidence before you can run.

After you get it together for awhile, you can consider the business plan, which is whole 'nother discussion. Also, you can evaluate your strengths and weaknesses and consider doing the things you are good at and hiring someone for the things you are not so good at, etc.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Something I've started lately is making a daily list of things I need to get done. Every morning (or evening before), I go though all my jobs and see what needs to be done, all the previous day's emails and make sure I follow up on anything left hanging. I write down everything that needs to be done, even if I know I'm not getting to it that day. It's helped keep me on track because I want to see how many things I can cross out and get off my list for good.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Check out SCORE

I know it sounds extreme for a sign company to not want to design anything.. but that's the part I don't like and realizing I can make it work without it is good for me. Maybe figure out what parts you hate doing / procrastinate and get rid of it?
I don’t think that is extreme. I limit what design we offer. I am the only salesperson/designer to feed 5 people work, so I can’t afford to mess with design-intense projects. That said, I can do production design very quickly. I have had graphic designers in the past, thinking they can take work off my plate in that department, but I found most want to spend 8 hours designing a $150 banner. I spent more time steering them in the right direction. It just never made sense. We focus on exterior signs, lighted signs, so the design part isn’t too intense. I do work with a local design firm on some projects to help out.

visual800

If someone is going to coach me in something they better have several years in the business that they are coaching AND if they are so good at coaching why arent they in business for themselves? I wouldnt waste my time or money. Business happens and mistakes happen, lessons are learned.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Something I've started lately is making a daily list of things I need to get done. Every morning (or evening before), I go though all my jobs and see what needs to be done, all the previous day's emails and make sure I follow up on anything left hanging. I write down everything that needs to be done, even if I know I'm not getting to it that day. It's helped keep me on track because I want to see how many things I can cross out and get off my list for good.

:roflmao: That's what happens to ya, when ya get old. Been doing it myself for some time, but you're just a young thing. That's a shame.

JamesLam

Creating a business plan is a valuable exercise as it allows past experiences to act as a basis to evaluate your current situation and develop for the future. There is nothing better than standing back and taking a look at what we are doing. This can be a useful tool as we decide what direction we wish to move in and what opportunities may not actually be an opportunity. Keep in mind as well that as your own employer this allows you to look at the bigger picture in regards to where you personally wish to be as well. Maybe running a $500k business is more suitable than a $5million business.

As far as business/life coaches I found that talking to other self employed types is a huge source of inspiration, motivation, insight and just plain common sense. I would say I probably spend 30 minutes a day speaking with other business owners as just part of the day-to-day. It seems that whenever we have a free moment we just chat. Sometimes personal stuff as friends do and other times more business related. This can be good stuff as I have been pulled back from the edge from making some unwise decisions a few times.

As I try to tell my kids (now adult kids) people want to share, so do not be afraid to ask for their thoughts.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I wonder if a LEAN person would be a good first start? Especially once you get your shop set-up and use it for a little bit. Maybe once everything is perfectly organized and as efficient as possible you won't have as many issues with being overwhelmed?

A business plan is good but it seems like you need to get the current business organized and on track before you can move to the next step.

I hate to keep bringing up Marie Kondo but she is a master at organizing and I've been using her system at home for a few years - I LOVE IT. It's been more difficult to implement it at work but she has a new book out for business tidying. I'm going to buy it. I watch her show also. I hate clutter and that's why I really like her system.

JamesLam

I wonder if a LEAN person would be a good first start? Especially once you get your shop set-up and use it for a little bit. Maybe once everything is perfectly organized and as efficient as possible you won't have as many issues with being overwhelmed?

A business plan is good but it seems like you need to get the current business organized and on track before you can move to the next step.

I hate to keep bringing up Marie Kondo but she is a master at organizing and I've been using her system at home for a few years - I LOVE IT. It's been more difficult to implement it at work but she has a new book out for business tidying. I'm going to buy it. I watch her show also. I hate clutter and that's why I really like her system.
Funny how one never bumps into Marie Kondo and Stacey K at the same place at the same time. A suspiciously enthusiast promotion of the new book maybe?

gnubler

As far as business/life coaches I found that talking to other self employed types is a huge source of inspiration, motivation, insight and just plain common sense.
Agreed, which is why I hang around this forum. I'm too introverted to go out and start chatting with other business owners, unless we cross paths during a job, or they call me/stop by. Everyone is so busy around here. The business coach I met with comes from a corporate background, and then started the consulting gig when I guess she couldn't stand the corporate world anymore...I don't see how that relates to running a sign shop. Honestly, I'd probably get more tips & ideas hanging out with Gino and Tex at the bar for one evening but for now the forum will have to do.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haa, I doubt that.

A business is a business, is a business, is a business. Machs nix what the product is you're selling. Business is all about business from selling shoes to bathroom fixtures to food to clothing. If you're looking for ideas within the sign industry, then this place will most definitely help. If you'd go to a networking meeting for 6 months, you'll see how closely related everything is. All businesses are looking to sell something. Yours just happens to be signs and other related stuff. Sell what you do and know and you'll succeed with a plan or without. Start dabbling in things you don't know and you'll be spreading yourself thin, unless you have unlimited funds. Right now, I'm enjoying some beef empanadas.... and let me tell ya, this mexican girl knows her stuff. Has nothing to do with our making her sign, either. She just knows how to cook. She's got a great cooking 'plan' going.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, are those sunglasses ?? I thought that was where those girls poked him with 10 foot poles.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I agree a business is a business. I have a few business friends who I chat with often. The best part is talking about customers that peeve us off. In a small town many are the same! LOL Last week I had a guy ask me how I keep my books and do my invoicing so we sat behind my computer for a while as I showed him. I've gotten lots of tips from my other business friends over the years. Specifically how to turn down small jobs. Nobody around here wants to shovel grandmas driveway when they can plow a business instead. That is equivalent to us doing small jobs for Joe Blows race car vs. hanging a sign.

My business plan changed several times and that's the best thing that ever happened to me!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
gnumbler.jpg

Johnny Best

I had a business coach once, Mr. White. He was the manager who bought the paper to us so we could rubberband them and deliver them out at about 5:30-6am. Every morning rain or shine on my bike at first and with Mr. White I moved up top a Cushman Eagle motorcycle. His coaching told me I could make more money if I took over more routes by buying a faster way to deliver the goods. I was in high school and owning a motorcycle was cool ( "cool" was a good word to use back in the 60s ).
Anyway, I came to find out after a year of the grind of the job and not having fun that Mr. White did not seem to move up the corporate ladder and I realized he did not practice what he preached and him freaking out when I quit and left him with a huge gap in his delivery system, complaints came pouring in for no newspaper by the front door and Mr. White I heard was replaced.