• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiring a business coach

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Why does tex's look like a mix between a penis and a teat ??
Because neither of those shapes were available in the shape library, and I didn't want to take the time to make a penis... I was at work after all.

gnubler

:D This just reminded me of the time I got banned from another work forum for posting a word cloud. It took some planning, but the biggest word ended up being BEER. It was a corporate site and the admins were not pleased. :rock-n-roll:

Back on topic, I swear Signs of the Times magazine lurks around the forum for article ideas. Lots of coincidences related to threads I start: https://signsofthetimes.com/should-i-hire-a-business-coach/

And coincidentally I'm back to this, revisiting the idea of hiring a coach to help me with growth of the business.

JBurton

Signtologist
Man, this is one of the old threads that all my posts were deleted from. Hey Admin, any chance of restoring my old posts?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Back on topic, I swear Signs of the Times magazine lurks around the forum for article ideas. Lots of coincidences related to threads I start: https://signsofthetimes.com/should-i-hire-a-business-coach/
And coincidentally I'm back to this, revisiting the idea of hiring a coach to help me with growth of the business.

If you can afford the time, maybe spend an hour to watch Maggie Harlow's interview from the sign shop coaching podcasters of the Better Sign Shop folks.

Good luck.

Johnny Best

Took my oldest son to a summer baseball camp some 35 years ago for pitching.
I stuck around to listen what these coaches were telling the kids. First guy up was a ex semi pro pitcher who was about 60 years old. He stood in front of the group and I was anticipating some sort of Yoda information. All he said was and then walked off. His words, ‘if you want to win games, throw strikes’.
To be honest, never was a good businessman. Never had a plan. Made mistakes and made sure I did not repeat them. But I did learn to throw a nasty curveball and strikes.
if you have talent, everything will work out.

JamesLam

Business groups such as your local Chamber of Commerce may be a great place to start. Many offer lunch-and-learn programs and seminars for just about anything. The people that put on these affairs often have options to further tap into their expertise.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here....... this is better than a 'life coach'.............. An 'all around coach'.

GettyImages-116889422.jpg

gnubler

Is this from the 80's?
Ha! The intro sure looked and sounded like it.
I watched it and I REALLY enjoyed Maggie's story. She lost her job at a family business, knew she wasn't cut out to be someone's employee, so decided to open a sign shop. I can relate.
Skip ahead and start watching at the 7 1/2 minute mark, the beginning is just a bunch of pointless chit chat.

That podcast has a bunch of good stuff, I'm playing them while I work. Stacy, this one might interest you: How to grow your sign shop in a small town. Sounds like you're already doing a lot of what's discussed.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Two of the tech certificates I have are Lean Manufacturing and Critical Business Skills, the kind of stuff coaches and classes shove down people's throats, companies waste money sending people to, and they don't really fit into much of the "sign shop" industry. Most of their stuff focuses on streamlining assembly line type manufacturing, distribution processes, and labor management to maximize output. It just doesn't fit, or benefit small "job shop" type businesses that change direction, jobs, and processes, often several times a day. We're not in the widget making scenario where the "usual methods" benefit. They're about as useful for a small sign shop as Gino's life coach ;)

Save your money. Get involved with your local business community, B2B organizations, Chamber of Commerce, find out what businesses need, and cater to it. Hit up factories, always good for repeat business. Banks source a lot of graphics and signage locally. Hit up realtors that handle commercial spaces for leads/ referrals. Bars, stay away from, too many can't pay their bill.... But it's ok to patronize them :toasting:

JBurton

Signtologist
We're not in the widget making scenario where the "usual methods" benefit.
This is super true, until a point where you're making signs by the location & new builds only, at which point you are dealing with widgets, those widgets are small sign shops, and you need to leverage all of these critical business skills to strong arm them into getting signs on the wall at midnight. At that point we call them a national and their rate is at least 25% beyond what local customers pay...