• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Honest (yet stupid) Corel Upgrade question?

iSign

the problem is that you said that coral didn't demand that for anything. That would also include painter not just the design suite. That really needed to have been stipulated in the original post as it appeared you were talking about all their products.

yep. I agree... Clear language always wins... Generalizations almost always end up false, as a by product of exaggeration

choosing to include absolutes like "never" and "anything" in any post is almost always a red flag to me.

I "never" believe somebody knows it all enough for their knowledge to apply to "anything"...

...doing so takes good information, from a reliable source, speaking from direct experience... And waters it down to suspect conjecture, all for the sake of an inflated reputation...

Jillbeans

I didn't need to use my Corel 12 CD when installing the X5 upgrade.
I'm dumber than a bag of hair when it comes to computer stuff, but this seems to be working OK.
I think for me, that installing an external hard drive would be the same as when I try to do anything computer-like...a disaster.
Thanks again for all the advice.

WildWestDesigns

whatever,,, so ya wanna split a few hairs?....
The question of this thread was Corel Draw X5 with Corel 12. Thus the answer was in regards to Corel Draw X5 and Corel Draw 12

Did you see Painter anywhere in her question.
Painter is not called "Corel" Painter. It is named Painter 12 in the latest version.

You yourself said

so to answer Jill.
I and a few others here have Corel DRAW 9, X3 and X5 installed on the same machine. All are upgrades. None required a previous version.. All run just fine.

You are correct. Mine line of thinking (which was based on assumption and therefore fallacious) was that why would companies have different "protocals" for upgrading different software. Why would Painter require a previous version installed on the computer while Draw does not. It would be far more efficient to have a steamline, I would think anyway.

I know it was the exact same instance with Photoshop as well. Going from CS3 to CS5, it also required a previous version already installed. Given the experience with Painter and with Photoshop, I was applying that experience and trying to come up with an education guess as to how Draw would work.

I did make the stipulation that it wasn't Draw in a means of covering my own ass, but still trying to contribute my experience with a Coral product.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Keep both. Never know when new bugs may rear thier ugly head. 12 Has been the most stable for me..though I have been using x5 for some time now without bugs.

Billct2

I installed x5 installed an left 11 on there, and glad I did. When print on paper on my HP5000 the X5 looks washed out compared to the 11, so I still use 11 to print on paper. I'm sure I could get the X5 to do the same, and maybe when I have some time I'll figure it out.

shakey0818

Choosing to include absolutes like "never" and "anything" in any post is almost always a red flag to me.

I "never" believe somebody knows it all enough for their knowledge to apply to "anything"...

...doing so takes good information, from a reliable source, speaking from direct experience... and waters it down to suspect conjecture, all for the sake of an inflated reputation...

:goodpost:

shakey0818

Choosing to include absolutes like "never" and "anything" in any post is almost always a red flag to me.

...doing so takes good information, from a reliable source, speaking from direct experience... and waters it down to suspect conjecture, all for the sake of an inflated reputation...

:goodpost:

Jillbeans

I did end up keeping the Corel 12 on here just in case.
So far I think X5 is OK, it's mainly user error on my part.
I wish they would have kept some of the icons the same.
And I wish I could find the way to manage the color "optimized for professional output" or whatever it was called under Corel 12's Color Management toolbar.

Roto

I did end up keeping the Corel 12 on here just in case.
So far I think X5 is OK, it's mainly user error on my part.
I wish they would have kept some of the icons the same.
And I wish I could find the way to manage the color "optimized for professional output" or whatever it was called under Corel 12's Color Management toolbar.

Hey Jill,
Go to Tools > Color Management > Default Settings and then go to presets and select "North American General Purpose" That will give the X5 equivalent to "optimized for professional output".

Colour management has been completely re-vamped in X5, if anybody wants to get a handle on it Check out David's site http://www.graphictechnology.com/
He is the Colour Guru!!

Roto

daveb

General Know-it-all
I didn't need to use my Corel 12 CD when installing the X5 upgrade.
I'm dumber than a bag of hair when it comes to computer stuff, but this seems to be working OK.
I think for me, that installing an external hard drive would be the same as when I try to do anything computer-like...a disaster.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Don't misunderestimate yourself Jill, the externals are just "plug and play" and show up as a separate drive on your computer. YOU CAN DO IT! Just sayin':thumb: