• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hottest day ever in los angeles

binki

113F today in LA. Hottest day ever recorded in the City of Angels. We were at 111 and the power company cut our AC at 3pm for 4 hours in the shop and at home. This is the last week they can do that so the hot weather came at a good time for them.

Beaches were 85-90 on the sand and 100-110 just 400 yards off the sand. Go figure.

The good news is it can only get cooler the rest of the week.

showcase 66

When you are not use to that high of a temp, its hot. Phoenix has weeks where it is above 110. In mohave valley we have had days where the low doesnt go below 100. 124 days and 101 nights. got to love the desert.

Mosh

AHHH, this is so sad. Come out here to Nebraska around Feb and you will wish it was 100.

binki

forgot to add the dog puked all over the house this morning. nothing like no ac and dog barf in a 90 degree house.

at least with the ac cutoff we get $200 off our bill each summer.

right now the ac has been running solid since 7pm to get the downstairs down to 68 and the upstairs down to below 80.

yeah, the az can get hot, been there in june and sept and dont want to be there in aug. been to vegas when the high was at night, 118 at 10pm. the low was during the day at 108.

Marlene

no AC at those temps must be horrid! I heard it is suppose to be a "cool" 100 for you today. hope everyone out there makes it thru OK as temps like that can kill people.

binki

one thing i have learned about living here is that when the weather goes mustang, nobody can predict what will happen even 24 hours away. the low the last 2 nights is right around 80. so when i get up at 5am and it is 80 i expect it to be really hot the rest of the day.

our friendly electric co. cut our a/c at 3pm yesterday and the temp in the shop went from 71 to 85 in 15 mins. we will see if they do this again today.

it was also reported that the thermometer at the station that had the 113F temp broke at 1pm so we don't know if it got even hotter.

and, it is fire season as well. all we need is a nice earthquake to round things out.

dwt

our friendly electric co. cut our a/c at 3pm yesterday

Is it a rolling black-out where the complete power is cut? If not I would jack the power right off the panel and into the a/c ....eff 'em.

Would a swamp cooler would work in your area?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
113F today in LA. Hottest day ever recorded in the City of Angels. We were at 111 and the power company cut our AC at 3pm for 4 hours in the shop and at home. This is the last week they can do that so the hot weather came at a good time for them.

Beaches were 85-90 on the sand and 100-110 just 400 yards off the sand. Go figure.

The good news is it can only get cooler the rest of the week.

How do they shut off ac only and not the rest of the power?

fmk

That's hot! We have slightly chillier in Finland. Today 35-50F. All time maximum is 99F from last summer.

gnemmas

We signed up with the Power Co. to let it regulate the A/C, it installed wireless control to shut off our units periodically to control power usage to prevent power black out. We get few hundred dollards credit for participating. Our unit control are set at 80, the room temp was at 85 and the A/C won't turn on.

modernmav

We signed up with the Power Co. to let it regulate the A/C, it installed wireless control to shut off our units periodically to control power usage to prevent power black out. We get few hundred dollards credit for participating. Our unit control are set at 80, the room temp was at 85 and the A/C won't turn on.

There is a similar program that we have at the house here in FL. The power company can turn off certain things (a/c, water heater), but only for set amounts of time (i think 15-30 minutes at a time every 3 hours) during peak usage times in the summer. We save about 100 a year with it though

We have had power outages here to but due to our 85 knot winds and driving rain. Todays forecast according to my security system "TONS OF RAIN"

artsnletters

i was nuts enough to ride my harley to deliver some small vinyl jobs in the morning when it was still OK. Later in the afternoon at 110º plus it really sucked. I (usually) wear a full face helmet with the face shield up for air flow but yesterday i closed it as it was like a blow-drier full bore in the face. No fun at all. Got in truck later that afternoon, outside temp gauge said 114º. And supposedly summer is over.

dlndesign

Yeah it got pretty bad. From our insulated office room to our un-insulated wharehouse, easy 10 degrees hotter. We hit some heat records right here in SD yesterday. I am so glad I have a pool.