• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hovering Clients

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Give them a live demo on how effective a heater-gun can be when used to sculpt eyebrows.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Just F art really loud then turn and act shocked they are standing behind you. Of course apologize, then a few minutes later repeat. They wont hang around long. I mean it works on my daughter when she is bugging me, it should work fine for a annoying client.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This thread title conjured up a memory... Client came in to discuss some project. He and my boss are discussing. I'm working on something on the work table near by. I think I was weeding some thing intricate. Dude is fascinated, and starts hovering over me, watching. Ok, your in my bubble. Gonna keep my cool. But dude has really bad BO. My eyes and nose were suffering burning. Suddenly found a safe stopping point with the weeding, and excused myself to go., Tend to some thing, else, urgently. I think I snuck out the back for some air. Until he was gone.
OMG I almost just fell off my chair laughing!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: This reminds me of my son after football practice...smells like a rotting corpse and he doesn't smell a thing! HOW do these people NOT realize they have BO! I can just picture you gagging and running the the bathroom, too darn funny!!!!
1629378530520.png

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I had a client bring her 85 year-year old (Alzheimer) mother to my shop while we tried to discuss project details one day. It was winter and she couldn't leave her in the car alone with the engine running.

Essentially, it was like having an elderly two-year old milling about the shop...opening drawers and cabinets and messing with things. It was literally a scene out of some comedy...but I wasn't laughing. I've never been so stressed in my life.

How do you politely say GTFO?

J
I had a client bring her 85 year-year old (Alzheimer) mother to my shop while we tried to discuss project details one day. It was winter and she couldn't leave her in the car alone with the engine running.

Essentially, it was like having an elderly two-year old milling about the shop...opening drawers and cabinets and messing with things. It was literally a scene out of some comedy...but I wasn't laughing. I've never been so stressed in my life.

How do you politely say GTFO?

JB
That happened to me too! Or they bring their 4 kids in with them...I get stressed that a kiddo will grab an xacto knife or fire up the drill or panel saw.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Quite honestly, I don't know how or why any of you permit customers the run of your shop, let alone their kids or grandparents ?? If you have a shop, it would be good to have a reception area or display area. Nothing sharp or important papers are normally kept in such an area. You just simply tell people, for insurance reasons, they are not permitted past a certain door or point. If they can't keep their sidekicks in check, ask them to please come back when they have time without them. Most likely you'll lose a customer, but that's better than some kid dropping a knife on their foot or some wandering person drinking turpentine.

About 35 years ago, our 4,000 sq ft shop was almost completely open. Doors only to the computer room and bathrooms. Guy was there one time with his young daughter and we were talking about his sign needs. I always forewarned people that there are sharp objects, wet paint and dangerous things around the shop, so keep your eye on your kids. Remember, these were the days BC and we hand-painted just about everything. I had around 10pcs MDO 48" x 96" laying on horses drying from just painting the backgrounds all out. That was a late-in-the-day rule. They were all dark brown. So, we're talking and all of a sudden the kid let out a yell and came over to her daddy and wiped her hand on his pants. She got dark brown paint all over him. I got some rags and told him to wipe her hands off. He got mad and laid into me. I can't believe you have all this wet paint around here for innocent people to get on their clothes. I said, the wet panels are not for wiping your clothes on or your kid's hands. I told you to keep an eye on your daughter and you didn't. If you wouldn't mind leaving, I have a lotta patching to do to the panels she just messed up. He actually came back a day or so later, without the little brat. He said something about the incident and I just calmly said, you do realize..... this is a paint shop. Of course there's gonna be a lotta wet paint in here.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
This thread title conjured up a memory... Client came in to discuss some project. He and my boss are discussing. I'm working on something on the work table near by. I think I was weeding some thing intricate. Dude is fascinated, and starts hovering over me, watching. Ok, your in my bubble. Gonna keep my cool. But dude has really bad BO. My eyes and nose were suffering burning. Suddenly found a safe stopping point with the weeding, and excused myself to go., Tend to some thing, else, urgently. I think I snuck out the back for some air. Until he was gone.
I am really happy that our production area is out of view from the main counter area. We did a redesign of our workspace about 8 years ago, and it has helped us keep client's on THEIR side of the counter. Before, they would just follow us back to our desks or the work table. Which I always found strange.

John Miller

We all must remember, whether or not we like it, sign making is a performing art. People just have to say:
Is that how you spell "the" :(
Is that straight, centered, etc?
Oh, and my favorite one "the computer does all the work"

Stacey K

I like making signs
I am really happy that our production area is out of view from the main counter area. We did a redesign of our workspace about 8 years ago, and it has helped us keep client's on THEIR side of the counter. Before, they would just follow us back to our desks or the work table. Which I always found strange.
I've had that also and it's soooo strange. My counter is like 15' long and has stools on the customer side. It's like McDonalds...who walks behind the counter at McDonalds? Thankfully it's only been a handful of times. People are weird.

gplough

If you can't work and carry on a conversation at the same time then either you're working too hard or you really don't have a complete handle on whatever you're doing

Typically I can and don't mind at all. But I was at the last few feet of a 30'x8' panel run trying to figure out what I was going to do with a hump/tunnel in the material, I've got my helper putting tension on the top, I'm at the bottom and I've got Karen standing 4 feet away asking, "How's it going"

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Quite honestly, I don't know how or why any of you permit customers the run of your shop, let alone their kids or grandparents ?? If you have a shop, it would be good to have a reception area or display area. Nothing sharp or important papers are normally kept in such an area. You just simply tell people, for insurance reasons, they are not permitted past a certain door or point. If they can't keep their sidekicks in check, ask them to please come back when they have time without them. Most likely you'll lose a customer, but that's better than some kid dropping a knife on their foot or some wandering person drinking turpentine.

About 35 years ago, our 4,000 sq ft shop was almost completely open. Doors only to the computer room and bathrooms. Guy was there one time with his young daughter and we were talking about his sign needs. I always forewarned people that there are sharp objects, wet paint and dangerous things around the shop, so keep your eye on your kids. Remember, these were the days BC and we hand-painted just about everything. I had around 10pcs MDO 48" x 96" laying on horses drying from just painting the backgrounds all out. That was a late-in-the-day rule. They were all dark brown. So, we're talking and all of a sudden the kid let out a yell and came over to her daddy and wiped her hand on his pants. She got dark brown paint all over him. I got some rags and told him to wipe her hands off. He got mad and laid into me. I can't believe you have all this wet paint around here for innocent people to get on their clothes. I said, the wet panels are not for wiping your clothes on or your kid's hands. I told you to keep an eye on your daughter and you didn't. If you wouldn't mind leaving, I have a lotta patching to do to the panels she just messed up. He actually came back a day or so later, without the little brat. He said something about the incident and I just calmly said, you do realize..... this is a paint shop. Of course there's gonna be a lotta wet paint in here.
Did you mumble under your breath, too bad there's no lead in it?
We have signs up, cones up, chains up and people go right on through. The ones that obey the rules are the ones that I don't mind coming in the shop, go figure. Amazon drivers are the worst but they probably can't read.

2B

Reminds me of a landlord from a couple of years ago.

Installing a contoured cut, multi-paneled, flush wall mounted ACP sign
He is standing there the entire time questioning and badgering us what we are doing and why and how he would do it differently.
When we were loading up, he said THAT'S IT? THAT'S ALL YOU ARE GOING TO DO?
Walked over and started jerking on the sign, damaged the sign, and said SEE!!! I TOLD YOU IT WAS DONE WRONG!!!

We video all of our installations, just in case of situations like this.
Asked him where he wanted a copy of the video sent? He went mute and timid really quick, then scuttled off when he realized it was being recorded

Sent the PAYING customer the video and asked how they would like us to move forward. REPAIR THE DAMAGE FOR $$$, or LEAVE IT AS IS.
We never went back to fix the damage and the tenant was gone within a couple of months........

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We just had our paint booth fire systems inspected and I stood over the guy talking his ear off the whole time. I would have helped if he asked.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've had 2 dog walkers looking to use my bathroom - which is not for public use. The first time, it worked out great, she came back a few weeks later and ordered $4000 of apparel for the business she did bookwork for.

The second one, before I knew it I was outside holding her dog leash. She came out and said my bathroom looked like a crack house. Then as she walks away, she dropped her rainbow phone so I picked it up. She goes to grab it and said, "OMG, I'm not a lesbian! I swear! I bought this rainbow case and I didn't know it meant I was gay. I swear I'm not a lesbian! I swear!" and she walked away....signs, lesbians and crack - a little something for everyone at my sign shop!