• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hovering Clients

gplough

When you're onsite doing an install is there a polite way to tell your customer to leave you alone? eg. I've got 6' on material stretched out getting ready to stick it to the wall and some art director standing 5 feet away asking questions....

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There's 3 types of customers when it comes to working on printers in the field.

1. The guy lets you in the shop, small talks for a little bit, and then leaves until you're done.

2. The guy who leaves but then comes back every 10 minutes to check on your progress.

3. The guy who hovers over your shoulder and asks, "What are you doing now?" every minute.

We always joke that it's $100/hr to fix the machine, $300/hr if you want to help.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Doesn't bother me. If someone hangs and won't leave, I start asking them to get me stuff as if they were my hired help. "Hey hand me that squeegee on the floor" "Come here and pull this backing paper"
What happens then? Do they usually buzz off or do they actually come and help?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I say this in all seriousness. I do what tex does, hey grab this for me, hold this etc. If they still wont leave, have them hold the graphic in the air for no good reason and say do not let it touch the ground. Then act like you are getting something ready, clean your squeegee, change your knife blade, pat your pockets looking for something you don't need, whatever it takes. Their arms will get real tired and then they will leave before you ask them to do it again.

iam808

I like leave long pauses before asking them to repeat the question. Unless it's directly related to what I'm currently doing and then I'll explain until they get tired of listening.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I had a client bring her 85 year-year old (Alzheimer) mother to my shop while we tried to discuss project details one day. It was winter and she couldn't leave her in the car alone with the engine running.

Essentially, it was like having an elderly two-year old milling about the shop...opening drawers and cabinets and messing with things. It was literally a scene out of some comedy...but I wasn't laughing. I've never been so stressed in my life.

How do you politely say GTFO?

JB

sardocs

I don't really mind when folks watch me working. I guess that being an old-school sign painter before I somehow morphed into a vinyl-slinger prepared me for the spectators. Lettering boats on the dock always drew a crowd. Same with hand lettering storefront windows. But the mahl stick was good for keepin' em back 3 feet.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget dumb answers to their dumb questions are double. Dumb stares are still free.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What happens then? Do they usually buzz off or do they actually come and help?
They help. When clients see how hard some things are they appreciate the skill involved and are usually thrilled when the job is done... maybe because they had a hand in it.

Now, if it's a dangerous situation like people hanging under my bucket or bothering us when we need to concentrate on lifting a sign with crane... I will assert myself and let them know we need to focus for safety. People like watching signs being lifted in the air, and most will spectate from a safe distance.

Val47

This thread title conjured up a memory... Client came in to discuss some project. He and my boss are discussing. I'm working on something on the work table near by. I think I was weeding some thing intricate. Dude is fascinated, and starts hovering over me, watching. Ok, your in my bubble. Gonna keep my cool. But dude has really bad BO. My eyes and nose were suffering burning. Suddenly found a safe stopping point with the weeding, and excused myself to go., Tend to some thing, else, urgently. I think I snuck out the back for some air. Until he was gone.