• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Is This Decal Made And Installed?

FALCON

Hello, I am curious to know how this decal is made and installed according to a request from a buyer? According to the photo, it consists of two layers, the first layer in the photo protects the letter against water and ...
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

Billct2

Never seen it done that way, I think you're being asked to replicate a piece of cr*p. That first one looks like cut vinyl letters on a vinyl background with another layer of thick clear over it,
makes no sense.
The right way would be a full print with laminate. The particular vinyl/laminate would depend on the application/environment.

FALCON

You could also mount vinyl decals 2nd surface to something rigid like clear acrylic so the vinyl never gets hit in their environment by water.
Its use for Aircraft! I want to know, what's the exact material for this decal, I don't have an idea
And also Layer 1 is very hard

jfiscus

Rap Master
You could make these with a Gerber Edge. Reverse print on polycarbonate (LexEdge material). Color then a white flood print, then you "laminate" the adhesive (3M 467/468) onto the rear and plot them. We make a lot of similar decals for the government and specialty industries.

MikePro

id bet its a thin polycarbonate layer or THICK laminate layer (potato, tomato) to protect against children picking/scratching the smaller decals.

truckgraphics

FYI - Aircraft have tiny holes placed in their skin for altitude and other sensors. As previously mentioned, aircraft should only be serviced by certified technicians.

CanuckSigns

It could also be engraved, we make engraved plates for aircraft, it's a process called reverse engraving, where the text is engraved in reverse from the backside and then painted, it makes them very durable. Not sure what the larger overlaminate is for though.

However the airline industry has a spec sheet on every single item on that plane, I'm surprised they didn't send it to you.

Aaron Hunter

It looks like maybe 3 total layers? Layer one is the OEM graphics that have had a panel installed over the top (layer ) and then another layer of decals to update the verbiage once again. FWIW, FAA graphics compliance is for pressurized cabins.