• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How is this possible????

GypsyGraphics

Working with a JPG image, opened it in PSD, created a vector mask around the car, saved it as a PSD, place native PSD in InDesign...

Can someone please tell me how it's possible that curvy frame that you see in the first PSD window, appears as a vector path in InDesign?

Top Left Window: original JPG open in Photoshop
Top Right Window: masked PSD open in Photoshop (pallets showing)
Bottom Window: placed PSD image open in InDesign (WTH vector frame)
see second image to view vector path in InDesign

It's been a long day and I'm tired and I'm not easily stumped... but this one got me baffled! This shouldn't even be possible!

WTH_jpg-vector.jpg
WTH-vector_path.png

EbsWeb5150

That vector mask path must be acting like a clipping path in Indesign.
Do you want the image to retain that path in Indesign?

GypsyGraphics

That vector mask path must be acting like a clipping path in Indesign.
Do you want the image to retain that path in Indesign?

The only vector path in the PSD file is the clipping path I created around the car masking out the background, that wiggle frame is part of the bitmap JPG! How it is possible a bitmap JPG could have a vector path of any kind?

Flame

The only vector path in the PSD file is the clipping path I created around the car masking out the background, that wiggle frame is part of the bitmap JPG! How it is possible a bitmap JPG could have a vector path of any kind?

cuz you saved as a psd file....

iSign

I want what she's smoking :rock-n-roll:

did you look back through your history? Could you have selected the space between the car & the wiggly border when you were preparing to assign your mask, and then thinking you would only get a vector of the car in your mask, is it possible that other vector was created simultaneously, and you may have been zoomed too far in to notice?

Flame

How does that explain the a vector path appearing out of nowhere???

Could be a hiccup in importing, but it's obviously something left over from PS. PS has vector capabilities, so PSD's can contain vectors. Jpegs... cannot.

Really not that weird... I imported a document once that had a 800', 70 point star in the middle of it. WTH did that come from???

GypsyGraphics

PS has vector capabilities, so PSD's can contain vectors. Jpegs... cannot.

Been doing this for 13 years... long before PSD even had vector capabilities.

There's something I must not be explaining correctly.
PSD's can contain vectors. Jpegs... cannot. MY POINT EXACTLY

Malkin

Can you open the original jpg in a basic viewer (like windows picture viewer), and post the screen shot? Or maybe just post it here?

EbsWeb5150

You can save a .jpg file in Photoshop and it will still retain the clipping path
there are plenty of times I've opened .jpg files in photoshop and they have the clipping path intact. Coming from a retail page layout background you would want to save your images in photoshop with a clipping path. So when you import them into a page layout program like QuarkXpess InDesign the background of the image is not showing

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Did you open it in Illustrator and see it in wireframe to see if the vector is in there...
You can save a jpg with the clipping mask embedded in the jpg so it seems the previous designer must have done that.

GypsyGraphics

You can save a .jpg file in Photoshop and it will still retain the clipping path
there are plenty of times I've opened .jpg files in photoshop and they have the clipping path intact. Coming from a retail page layout background you would want to save your images in photoshop with a clipping path. So when you import them into a page layout program like QuarkXpess InDesign the background of the image is not showing

What you are suggesting is exactly what was done. It is saved as a photoshop file, with a clipping path, the PSD file is what you seen in the InDesign file.

Rick

If you open the original .jpg, in Photoshop, then go to paths, you should see the path, click on it, you should be able to turn on the path.

GypsyGraphics

Did you open it in Illustrator and see it in wireframe to see if the vector is in there...
You can save a jpg with the clipping mask embedded in the jpg so it seems the previous designer must have done that.

Okay, tired this way... vector path not visible in Illustrator.

If you open the original .jpg, in Photoshop, then go to paths, you should see the path, click on it, you should be able to turn on the path.

Holly Cow!!!! There it is!!! Like many answers often do, this poses another question. And since your are clearly the guy with the answers, can I ask...

How is that two vector based programs can't see that path but Photoshop can?

And... in what manner would the JPG have been save that would have preserve a clipping path?

Last edited:

Rick

How is that two vector based programs can't see that path but Photoshop can?

I don't know, but I am thinking that they will soon. It makes sense that if the feature exists, they will introduce it across the board, I'm sure there are quite a few good uses for having it. Who knows, maybe even layered jpgs may be possible too?

And... in what manner would the JPG have been save that would have preserve a clipping path?

If they did a path in Photoshop and saved the file as a jpg, the path is saved, you just added another path to it. I do not get too many designer files like that. I usually do all my clipping in Illustrator.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many times, for whatever reason, certain things will happen in one software program that another program ignores, while some others see and act the same way across the board. When working with .pdf files anything can happen. Trying to figure out what some previous designer or mechanic had done to achieve his/her effects always remains a mystery to us. I've seen some of the craziest things come across our path and we all think to ourselves, scratching our heads.... what the heck were they thinking ??

The .pdf format is always the first red flag to us that someone on the other end is doing something in an area they have no clue about.