• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many of you could leave your shop behind for at least a month and not have any issues?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You're are putting everyone down about their business sense but you haven't asked us what we do. I can tell you I have about the same amount of sales as you do and accomplish it with 11 less people. I only work about 40 hours a week so oabout double the time you do. You think we're not "big picture" and small minded, but I can guarantee you I won't be taking your advice based on your account of how business should run.

WhatsYourSign?

So, do you do billboards and things of that size? How many bucket trucks do you have and people in them?
No, we don't do billboards... From what I can tell billboards are an industry of their own and not one we've chosen to pursue.

We have two bucket trucks and installers to keep them on the road every day.

We aren't a huge company, we will do $3-3.5M in revenue this year.

We have grown quickly but I'm well aware of our place in the market - we are bigger than the small shops and smaller than the big shops.

The point of all this wasn't to say we're a big company (I'm sure some of you are bigger), it was to say that 5 years ago people said I couldn't build a self-sustaining business that would allow me to go on vacation for a month without the business falling apart... And I just did that.

I know that somewhere in the world there's a sign entrepreneur in a position like where I was 5 years ago wondering if they can build a self-sustaining business, and I want them to know they should ignore the naysayers and keep moving forward, because they can.

It's obvious at this point I'm not going to convince any of you guys it's possible (you don't even believe that I have).

WhatsYourSign?

You're are putting everyone down about their business sense but you haven't asked us what we do. I can tell you I have about the same amount of sales as you do and accomplish it with 11 less people. I only work about 40 hours a week so oabout double the time you do. You think we're not "big picture" and small minded, but I can guarantee you I won't be taking your advice based on your account of how business should run.
If you're doing $3-3.5M/year in revenue with just yourself while working 40 hours/week (and without relying on a bunch of contractors), that's truly impressive. I wouldn't have any idea how to pull off numbers like that in this industry.

My goal is to do $250-300k/year in revenue per person, which we do, but doing 10x that with a single person is impressive.

I would say the one thing my situation has going for it is that I was able to take a month long vacation and the company still kept running (the hours I put into it are primarily forward-facing activities... So if I'm not working, it doesn't impact the operations). From what you've shared, it doesn't sound like you're in a position to do the same.

However, if making money is the goal (vs freedom), I would say you're in a much better position than I am.

Kudos.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, we don't do billboards... From what I can tell billboards are an industry of their own and not one we've chosen to pursue.

We have two bucket trucks and installers to keep them on the road every day.

We aren't a huge company, we will do $3-3.5M in revenue this year.

We have grown quickly but I'm well aware of our place in the market - we are bigger than the small shops and smaller than the big shops.

The point of all this wasn't to say we're a big company (I'm sure some of you are bigger), it was to say that 5 years ago people said I couldn't build a self-sustaining business that would allow me to go on vacation for a month without the business falling apart... And I just did that.

I know that somewhere in the world there's a sign entrepreneur in a position like where I was 5 years ago wondering if they can build a self-sustaining business, and I want them to know they should ignore the naysayers and keep moving forward, because they can.

It's obvious at this point I'm not going to convince any of you guys it's possible (you don't even believe that I have).

You're saying you do $3-3.5m a year ?? Yet, you have going on near a million in payroll (before taxes), overhead, paying for everything done out-of-shop, and your in-house costs..... then you need to add profit and keep a healthy cash-flow ?? Who the f*ck are you kidding ?? I'm a Christian, not a good one, but I am a Christian.... so let that outta the equation. Who are you trying to kid with this nonsense..... and that ain't no compliment. People doubting you, IS NOT a compliment, not by any-means.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The difference between WhatsYourSign? and most of the rest of us is that he is a business manager.

You people who are perplexed that he delegates responsibility are not business managers, you are experienced sign makers who have to do business stuff every now and then.

He is a businessman, you make signs.
You obviously don't know me. Unlike some of you other guys, I don't feel any need to gloat and go on about what our revenue is or size of my business. It has no bearing on debating business philosophy.

WhatsYourSign?

You're saying you do $3-3.5m a year ?? Yet, you have going on near a million in payroll (before taxes), overhead, paying for everything done out-of-shop, and your in-house costs..... then you need to add profit and keep a healthy cash-flow ?? Who the f*ck are you kidding ?? I'm a Christian, not a good one, but I am a Christian.... so let that outta the equation. Who are you trying to kid with this nonsense..... and that ain't no compliment. People doubting you, IS NOT a compliment, not by any-means.
You could have figured out our revenue long ago - I shared our exact sales and revenue numbers in Q1. Hint: Multiply quarterly numbers by 4 and you'd have a good idea of where we'd be for the year.

We did 14% net last year and currently are at 22% net for this year, but I think 18-20% is more realistic by year end as I'm sure we'll have some slower months that drop that.

And yes - your comments absolutely are a compliment. I actually sent them to my wife already.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You must be a really sorry-@ss person showing her this kinda stuff. I guess since you lost all your weight, she has new interest in your new found friends.

I'm not about to try and put your numbers together, as most of them don't make sense to begin with. However, I had it figured much higher. Oops, my mistake.

WhatsYourSign?

You must be a really sorry-@ss person showing her this kinda stuff. I guess since you lost all your weight, she has new interest in your new found friends.

I'm not about to try and put your numbers together, as most of them don't make sense to begin with. However, I had it figured much higher. Oops, my mistake.
I must be sorry, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time here talking to you.

All these years later, you're just as unhappy as I remembered you being.

There's a reason why you were the one name I remembered on here for how unhappy you were.

I've been stuck in Atlanta all day trying to get home from Orlando, but my flight is finally going to hopefully be leaving soon so I can see my wife and kids (and stop wasting my time and y'all's on here).

Notarealsignguy

You could have figured out our revenue long ago - I shared our exact sales and revenue numbers in Q1. Hint: Multiply quarterly numbers by 4 and you'd have a good idea of where we'd be for the year.

We did 14% net last year and currently are at 22% net for this year, but I think 18-20% is more realistic by year end as I'm sure we'll have some slower months that drop that.

And yes - your comments absolutely are a compliment. I actually sent them to my wife already.
You said, 225k/month right? That is 2.7m. Plus, who speaks about single quarter revenue when they have last years fiscal year to brag about? I can answer why.
You do a lot of bragging for having a shitty margin. You're making me feel like Bill Gates over here

Notarealsignguy

my flight is finally going to hopefully be leaving soon so I can see my wife and kids (and stop wasting my time and y'all's on here).
I thought you were on vacation at Epcot on the company's dime? You vacation alone?
You walk when things get hot, guess you have to regroup for round 3?

WhatsYourSign?

You said, 225k/month right? That is 2.7m. Plus, who speaks about single quarter revenue when they have last years fiscal year to brag about? I can answer why.
You do a lot of bragging for having a shitty margin. You're making me feel like Bill Gates over here
I never bragged about how much money I make - that isn't my goal in business...I have no desire to be the richest guy in the business.

My goal was to build a business that runs itself (and makes enough for me to live comfortably while being able to spend my time raising my kids and being a good husband).

I get to see my wealth every morning when I wake up beside my beautiful wife and see my kids' smiling faces.

No amount of money will change that.

---

And no - I didn't say $225k/month. The numbers I shared showed Q1 revenue of $737k, which would put us just under $3M for the year, but those numbers do not include a smaller amount of revenue we do on the marketing side still (legacy clients) + Q1 is our slowest quarter every year.

$3-3.5M is realistic for our projected annual revenue.

WhatsYourSign?

I thought you were on vacation at Epcot on the company's dime? You vacation alone?
You walk when things get hot, guess you have to regroup for round 3?
No, I was on three cruises before ISA in Orlando. Disney was something I did after ISA on my own.

My wife and kids went home after the cruises.

Notarealsignguy

I never bragged about how much money I make - that isn't my goal in business...I have no desire to be the richest guy in the business.

My goal was to build a business that runs itself (and makes enough for me to live comfortably while being able to spend my time raising my kids and being a good husband).

I get to see my wealth every morning when I wake up beside my beautiful wife and see my kids' smiling faces.

No amount of money will change that.

---

And no - I didn't say $225k/month. The numbers I shared showed Q1 revenue of $737k, which would put us just under $3M for the year, but those numbers do not include a smaller amount of revenue we do on the marketing side still (legacy clients) + Q1 is our slowest quarter every year.

$3-3.5M is realistic for our projected annual revenue.
You're skipping the important things and keep contradicting yourself. You just said 3.5, now its just under 3m (2.7m is a little under 3?) and also said you will run into slow months but Q1 is your slow time? Which is it?
Why are you so hyper focused on this 1 quarter with 1 big sale? What about last year? What's that ole tax return say on it?
You also skirted this vacation question, you said you were on vacation but your family is at home. Maybe they flew back early but it seems like you're telling stories and I don't really know why.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, I will attest to this. Whatsyoursign does run a decent sign shop. Come to find out I've used them for install and fab before and all went well... so he does have a decent team running the company. So at least we know he's a real guy running a functioning professional sign shop

WhatsYourSign?

You're skipping the important things and keep contradicting yourself. You just said 3.5, now its just under 3m (2.7m is a little under 3?) and also said you will run into slow months but Q1 is your slow time? Which is it?
Why are you so hyper focused on this 1 quarter with 1 big sale? What about last year? What's that ole tax return say on it?
You also skirted this vacation question, you said you were on vacation but your family is at home. Maybe they flew back early but it seems like you're telling stories and I don't really know why.
I didn't say $2.7M, you did.

Why do you care so much about how much money I make? Do you want screenshots of my bank account as well? How about my home address?

I didn't come here to brag about my money - you guys took the conversation there.

I said 5 years ago when I started this thread and more recently - my goal is to build a business that runs itself...I never said my goal is to make $1M+/year.

My family flew home before me - my wife is a teacher and my kids are in school and play sports. They were on spring break and now they're not... There was no reason for them to stay in Orlando for ISA + a few hours at Disney in the evenings.

You need to find something more important than money to measure the value of a person and a life by.

Notarealsignguy

I didn't say $2.7M, you did.

Why do you care so much about how much money I make? Do you want screenshots of my bank account as well? How about my home address?

I didn't come here to brag about my money - you guys took the conversation there.

I said 5 years ago when I started this thread and more recently - my goal is to build a business that runs itself...I never said my goal is to make $1M+/year.

My family flew home before me - my wife is a teacher and my kids are in school and play sports. They were on spring break and now they're not... There was no reason for them to stay in Orlando for ISA + a few hours at Disney in the evenings.

You need to find something more important than money to measure the value of a person and a life by.
Attempting to insult me doesnt change the fact that you intentionally made misleading claims, like your alone time at Epcot that you made out to be a family vacation. You can't even keep up with what you said.
You said $3.5, your math says 2.7 then you back peddle again and say a little under 3. Yesterday it was 600k in sales which is 7.2m annually. Nothing you say is straight. Your little brag session got called out and now you are mad again.
I don't give 2 shits what you make nor what anyone else makes. You're the one throwing numbers out in an attempt to get people to kiss your ass when truth be told, they aren't very impressive from my window. You say you dont care about money but can't stop talking about it, you have no depth, no character so the only thing you have to show off is money and that isnt even worth bragging about. So, enjoy your trip home, keep working and come back again with something that will give me a nice chubby cuz what you got now is not enough to impress me.

WhatsYourSign?

Attempting to insult me doesnt change the fact that you intentionally made misleading claims, like your alone time at Epcot that you made out to be a family vacation. You can't even keep up with what you said.
You said $3.5, your math says 2.7 then you back peddle again and say a little under 3. Yesterday it was 600k in sales which is 7.2m annually. Nothing you say is straight. You're little brag session got called out and now you are mad again.
I don't give 2 shits what you make nor what anyone else makes. You're the one throwing numbers out in an attempt to get people to kiss your ass when truth be told, they aren't very impressive from my window. You say you dont care about money but can't stop talking about it, you have no depth, no character so the only thing you have to show off is money and that isnt even worth bragging about. So, enjoy your trip home, keep working and come back again with something that will give me a nice chubby cuz what you got now is not enough to impress me.
We did $600k in sales in March, but that's new sales that won't convert to revenue until May.

The only reason the numbers matter, at all, is that five years ago I asked if I could build my business to be self-sustaining so I could take a month long vacation and it would continue to grow.

And I was told it wasn't possible... But I'm happy to report that it is possible because I just did it. We put up record numbers - both with completed, invoiced jobs + for new sales orders that fill the pipeline but won't be invoiced until a later date.

I'm sorry if you don't count one week of the four as a vacation because I was at an industry tradeshow vs on a cruise ship...I was not actively involved in the business so I was counting that, but I should have gotten your blessing before making such an egregious claim.

I'm also going to be in Nashville next week for a mastermind retreat where I'll be disconnected from the business... How would you prefer I classify that?

My flight is about to take off so I'll let you have the last word on this one.

Be well.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Well, I will attest to this. Whatsyoursign does run a decent sign shop. Come to find out I've used them for install and fab before and all went well... so he does have a decent team running the company. So at least we know he's a real guy running a functioning professional sign shop
Except that by his own admission he's not running it, his employees are. He's off creeping on people at Disney world.