• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much do you pay your Graphics Guy?

texas33

Hi everyone, new here so if this has already been asked I apologize. Anyways, for those of you that have Graphics Guys, how do you pay them? Is it hourly, by the job or another way? My company started out doing helmets decals for Youth Sports but we've since expanded and do jobs outside of sports now, i.e. Wall Graphics, Store Fronts, Trailers, etc. I've attached some images from past jobs we've done for reference. This is a completely different arena from sports decals abd new territory for me so I want to make sure I'm going about this the right way. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 5,603
  • 20221101_124206.jpg
    20221101_124206.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 565
  • received_1123992721587928.jpeg
    received_1123992721587928.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 518
  • 20221101_124403.jpg
    20221101_124403.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 509
  • Screenshot_20221110-173758_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221110-173758_Gallery.jpg
    1,002 KB · Views: 606

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I assume you are talking about a freelancer and not an hourly employee?

We don't have any frelancers now, but back when we started out, we tried paying by the job. That was always difficult.

If you have a really good freelance person you can rely on, pay them as much as you can and keep them as busy as you can.

Until you hire someone full time or part time with consistent hours every week, they will probably flake out on you for someone else that keeps them busy consistently.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is what I'd refer to as layouts, hardly design. Making a few words fit in a box, is not designing. If this is your company's attempt of doing work other than helmets, they certainly do not wanna pay by the job. In fact, I wouldn't wanna pay by the hour either.

texas33

This is what I'd refer to as layouts, hardly design. Making a few words fit in a box, is not designing. If this is your company's attempt of doing work other than helmets, they certainly do not wanna pay by the job. In fact, I wouldn't wanna pay by the hour either.
Understood, but like I said, we just started venturing into this side of the business. These are just a few samples of jobs we've done so far. We all started somewhere, right? Regardless, it still takes time to lay that out, make sure the sizing, colors, fonts, etc are correct. I'm just asking what you guys think is the best way to pay for jobs like that?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think hourly, maybe a part-time person...a couple days a week or something like that? If it's just a part-time position you may need to pay a bit more to retain them so it's worth their time. I pay $15-20hr cash for help with installs plus lunch. My son makes $30hr delivering furniture a few hours a week simply because it's difficult to find someone for a just a few hours a week.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, we all start somewhere, but it helps to have some formal training and some basic knowledge on your side. Believe me, I'm not making fun of your pics, but they're all I can use for my observation.

There is no way you can pay someone by the hour to basically hunt & peck on the computer for some of the most fundamental needs of/for layout. Their choice of fonts, kerning, use of features and some others are actually very bad. I wouldn't pay anyone for the trailer layout, the blue & white sign, the letters above the door or the front door layout. They're all bad..... really bad. So, to pay someone a price for finished artwork, is outta the question and by the hour is ridiculous, so in answer to your question...... YOU need to find a designer/layout person first,..... then decide how to pay him/her.

texas33

Yeah, we all start somewhere, but it helps to have some formal training and some basic knowledge on your side. Believe me, I'm not making fun of your pics, but they're all I can use for my observation.

There is no way you can pay someone by the hour to basically hunt & peck on the computer for some of the most fundamental needs of/for layout. Their choice of fonts, kerning, use of features and some others are actually very bad. I wouldn't pay anyone for the trailer layout, the blue & white sign, the letters above the door or the front door layout. They're all bad..... really bad. So, to pay someone a price for finished artwork, is outta the question and by the hour is ridiculous, so in answer to your question...... YOU need to find a designer/layout person first,..... then decide how to pay him/her.
We do what the customer requests. I'm sorry if they're not up to your standards. All of these customers have been extremely satisfied with their jobs. We have the capability to do whatever the job requires. However, I need to get the pay situated first beforebigger jobs are accepted. Thank you for your input. Have a great day

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I think hourly, maybe a part-time person...a couple days a week or something like that? If it's just a part-time position you may need to pay a bit more to retain them so it's worth their time. I pay $15-20hr cash for help with installs plus lunch. My son makes $30hr delivering furniture a few hours a week simply because it's difficult to find someone for a just a few hours a week.
You might be safe paying somebody cash for artwork, but the minute they pick up a tool more dangerous than a pencil they become a liability. Sending a person out to an install with no insurance is a good way to lose your company!

As far as pay, around $20/hr seems about right for somebody with no experience who is just typing in letters and moving clip art around. Expect to pay twice that for a talented designer/illustrator, and $100/hr plus for an experienced freelance designer.

texas33

What about Fivvr? Do people on there do this kind of thing?
I use Fiverr, but only for the helmet/sports side. My Graphics person is my installer as well. If it's a big job like the gym we just finished I'll step in and help him. That's really where my "dilemma" is I suppose‍♂️

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We do what the customer requests. I'm sorry if they're not up to your standards. All of these customers have been extremely satisfied with their jobs. We have the capability to do whatever the job requires. However, I need to get the pay situated first beforebigger jobs are accepted. Thank you for your input. Have a great day

Having a great day, so far. Thanks.

However, if your customers are asking for that stuff, then you still need someone who can guide them to a better and more appropriate end result. Very rare that a customer can generate a good layout, let alone all the incidentals. That's part of the job of the designer..... or actually the owner to step in and show your customers what would work better for them.

* Did the customer tell ya to use that ridiculous outline on the trailer ?? On any level, that's bad and if you just let the customer go on that, you should not be offering that kinda work.
* Did the customer tell you to use that heavy type style for the blue & white sign ?? Not to mention, ya can't read the smaller text. It's just a jumbled mess. P!ss poor execution.
* Did the customer tell ya to keep the copy closer to the bottom than the top or was that your idea ??
* Last, did the customer tell ya to put, again, that ridiculous outline around that logo on the door ?? Yellow on white is really tough. Seems no one thought that through at all.

Look, has nothing to do with my standards, but industry standards. You wanna just go out and do this kinda sh!t, be my guest. You're already doing it and getting paid. I'd pay your so called designer about $12 an hour, since they're not designing anything and tell him/her/you how many hours you will allow per project. Cap it. You're new at this and it shows. You might wanna start another thread about learning how to design or do layout work that you can charge for. It could help tremendously.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You might be safe paying somebody cash for artwork, but the minute they pick up a tool more dangerous than a pencil they become a liability. Sending a person out to an install with no insurance is a good way to lose your company!

As far as pay, around $20/hr seems about right for somebody with no experience who is just typing in letters and moving clip art around. Expect to pay twice that for a talented designer/illustrator, and $100/hr plus for an experienced freelance designer.
Just helpers for me to hold vinyl up when I'm installing vinyl on a trailer, clean up after me, etc. The only helper that uses any tools is my son. I should have clarified that...

Johnny Best

With those layouts you are showing your best bet is to go to the local high school and get someone from there and pay them $20 an hour. If the person works out he can learn about the sign business and skip college that will just put them in debt anyway. I agree with Gino and you are not needing anyone with experience but just keyboard skill on the programs you use.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I made $12 per hour in 2005 and had 2 years of Adobe training under my belt. I mostly did layouts and recreated graphics and logos to be print ready but would consider myself a below average designer. I'm thinking Stacey K is closer to reality on pay these days. You can get a job at Wendy's right now in my town for $19 per hour. I would think decent design skills and the ability to use industry standard design software would warrant more than that.

RabidOne

I made $12 per hour in 2005 and had 2 years of Adobe training under my belt. I mostly did layouts and recreated graphics and logos to be print ready but would consider myself a below average designer. I'm thinking Stacey K is closer to reality on pay these days. You can get a job at Wendy's right now in my town for $19 per hour. I would think decent design skills and the ability to use industry standard design software would warrant more than that.
I dont think you can make any comment on wages without an idea of where you are. Big city, higher cost of living, lots of competition for jobs equals higher wages.
I am in a "smaller" city and if I tried to hire someone for the equivalent of $12 an hour I would have zero takers.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I dont think you can make any comment on wages without an idea of where you are. Big city, higher cost of living, lots of competition for jobs equals higher wages.
I am in a "smaller" city and if I tried to hire someone for the equivalent of $12 an hour I would have zero takers.
Location definitely plays a roll. I'm just pointing out that $12 was back in 2005 so now in 2022 it would be pretty low in most places.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You do realize, most of us are saying these numbers with tongue in cheek.. It's all based upon the artwork we've seen thus far, which is well below minimum wage, if ya ask me.

texas33

Sorry about that, I'm in Houston. My Graphics guy has actually been doing graphics/design for years. He's very well versed in AI and PS. These are just some of the first jobs we've done, and yes, I know they're pretty basic. I'm just trying to get an idea before I start taking on bigger, more complex jobs.

petepaz

i agree you give the customer what they want and i wouldn't say your pics are bad but i would say they are basic which is fine and not meant as an insult but i am not sure you need to hire a specific designer for what you are doing right now. who did the artwork for the pics you showed us? can't they keep doing that? do you have enough work to justify hiring a person set specifically for design?
i would say try and keep doing the design with your current work force and see how the work comes in. should you get busy enough that it can't be handled and need another person then so be it.
not sure what your hourly wages are in Houston but in jersey depending on the experience the person is bringing to the table you would have to pay $15-25 per hour to start.
i think someone mentioned checking with the high school and that would be a good idea, check with the local high schools and vocational schools you might be able to find someone from a design or graphics class that would be interested in an entry level position