• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much do you pay your Graphics Guy?

gnubler

What about Fivvr? Do people on there do this kind of thing?

Noooo! Fivvr has put so many designers out of work, the competition is brutally fierce and 99% of the artists on there are from developing countries (non native English speaking).

I've been doing graphic design forever. Before I started my business, my last formal graphic design job paid around $20/hour, that was as good as it was gonna get so no more of that. Due to Fivrr and such, I do freelance work on occasion for people that want to work with someone in person, and all the design jobs for my sign shop, and for both my rate is $100/hour.

MIKE MCNAMARA

You should utilize all the resources out there, but if you plan to be successful in this business you should be efficient at basic layout and design. Why pay someone for layouts and design that can be cranked out in a matter of minutes. Perhaps you aren't there yet, but stick with it and improve your craft.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Hi everyone, new here so if this has already been asked I apologize. Anyways, for those of you that have Graphics Guys, how do you pay them? Is it hourly, by the job or another way? My company started out doing helmets decals for Youth Sports but we've since expanded and do jobs outside of sports now, i.e. Wall Graphics, Store Fronts, Trailers, etc. I've attached some images from past jobs we've done for reference. This is a completely different arena from sports decals abd new territory for me so I want to make sure I'm going about this the right way. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!
When we had graphic designers, we paid them between $20 and $25 an hour. But, I quickly learned how to use Photoshop and Illustrator myself through their extensive videos and tutorials on YouTube. Now my wife and I do all the design work which is fun and easy for the most part.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
When I worked for another sign shop, we would pay them a smidge over what you could make at McDonalds... still seemed like overpaying.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I've been a "sign designer" for years with the same sign company. I feel I'm being paid well and right on target for this area. I consider myself a "Graphic Designer" not just a sign designer. I do anything from simple yard signs, banners, tradeshow displays, logo design as well as logo re-draws to very complex vehicle wraps. I also aid in production, open the shop every morning, clean bathrooms, sweep/mop floors, take out the garbage 3 times a day, cut vinyl, plot templates, manage production to ensure timelines are met. I also assist with off-site installs and /or do the complete install. Even do simple vehicle applications.

So, anyway, there's a current job posting at a competitive sign company that is looking for all those same skills and starting pay is $5-15 an hour more than what I make here. So why not jump? My current job is 2.8 miles from my home, this job is 12 miles more and a $3 bridge toll each way and a lot heavier traffic. My wife works from home so I go home for lunch and we eat and take a walk every day. I also have a pension from the military so I can't really see the benefit to make the move.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, you generate 3 garbage trips a day ?? You guys must really make a big mess when eating...... or ya only have one little can.

darinmcd

Premium Subscriber
We pay our current designer a nice salary. That said, he has a degree in graphic design and 20 years with signs. Biggest question is, what do you need? Do you have enough for an employee to do? Do you need someone that can do complex designs and output files needed for different equipment / jobs? I'd keep doing what you do until you have a need for a designer

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, you don't see the advantage of making about $1,800 more a month ?? First, you'll be paying lots more out in taxes and then instead of walks, y'all could go on scooter rides at lunch. Save your old aged legs.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
So, you don't see the advantage of making about $1,800 more a month ?? First, you'll be paying lots more out in taxes and then instead of walks, y'all could go on scooter rides at lunch. Save your old aged legs.
More like $800 more a month plus not knowing how well the owner of that shop is to get along with. Or what perks are different. Maybe there's more call for weekend work. What about the rest of the staff? What about the extra wear/mileage on my vehicle? I'm only about 10 years from full eretirement.

And I forgot to mention the most important thing. The other place is Adobe based. And we all know I hate adobe.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
$800 a month is $9600 a year... almost $100k extra over the next 10 years of your working career.

The extra 9 miles would be better for your vehicle. Short trips that don't get the engine to full operating temperature wear a car down more than longer trips. 3 miles isn't enough to burn off the water in the oil.

BUT, if you like where you are and are comfortable, by all means stay. Employers like employees that are comfy and don't want to change jobs.. they can pay them less.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You had said 5 to 15, so I took the middle of the road.

One never knows what's around the next corner. Cripes, where you're at, they could make you take out a 4th or 5th can of garbage a day..... or ya might get hit by a bus tomorrow. Ya just never know. If the unknowns are too great, why did you bring it up ?? Seems you wanted some input. Sorry if I overstepped your boundaries. :toasting:

gnubler

If I took garbage out 3x a day the neighbors would slash my tires. We had Garbage Wars here last summer, I found it amusing.

Bengt Backhaus

So, anyway, there's a current job posting at a competitive sign company that is looking for all those same skills and starting pay is $5-15 an hour more than what I make here. So why not jump? My current job is 2.8 miles from my home, this job is 12 miles more and a $3 bridge toll each way and a lot heavier traffic. My wife works from home so I go home for lunch and we eat and take a walk every day. I also have a pension from the military so I can't really see the benefit to make the move.
In my 35 years of signmaking i have been employed by (i think) 11 different companies.
In the beginning i changed workplace solely based on pay, but now at 55 i consider "soft values" much more important.
1668585713783.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
My friend is in a smaller town and she started doing apparel only. The sign shop guy in town died so now she's doing a lot more signs and vehicles.

I cringed when I see some of her very simple designs (like the ones posted here) but - she's absolutely gotten better and more "advanced" with her designs over time. It's just like me with my apparel designs, at first, they were very simple, after time I did more research and looked online for better ideas and they have gotten much better.

I think we might be overthinking the simplicity of the designs - however, this also probably pushed the OP to do some "googling" on design and layout!

OP: There are several really good books you can buy that can help you with design (it would not hurt to have them laying around if you hire someone!).

SignBrad is a good one for these kinds of references but I like "Mastering Layout" Mike Stevens, "The Element of Graphic Design" Alex White, "Logo Design" Dan Antonelli, "Trucks" Bob Behounek. I am a fan of Dan Antonelli and I often look at his website for inspiration (Kickcharge) of course you can't copy anything you see but you can get ideas for layout, color combinations, etc.