• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much do you pay your Graphics Guy?

gnubler

I'm self taught with all the industry software (mainly Adobe). I did it pre-internet for the most part (2001), there were no Youtube tutorials or much online help at all. I was poor and "borrowed" the installation disks from work to install copies at home, this was before online registration and all the other activation crap. I used the Visual Quickstart or similar instructional books that took you through all the menus and tools, they were very thorough and may cover things you'll never use. I did one chapter each night, and within a couple months I knew how to use the programs. The rest is talent, creativity, and experience. The Adobe apps are all over-bloated now, in my opinion. I took a few evening classes at a community college once, Photoshop and web design related. Mostly a waste of time for me.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
There's a whole lot more to "sign design" than most see. It's more than cut/paste typeset etc. One has to know quality of logos, difference between vector & raster. You have yo have at least some working knowledge of several different software. Illustrator/photoshop, Corel/photopaint, Flexi, Acrobat or other pdf editor. RIP software. RGB, CMYK, pantones etc. You need to know your way around a computer too. How to load fonts, create new files, file system, basic troubleshooting, loading scanners/printers, downloading photos from thumb drives and various other storage devices. Proper way to crop photos and remove backgrounds. How to make files "cut ready". Need to know the difference between making a file for web and print. Know the various formats that are usually vector ( ai, eps, cdr, cgm, ps, svg, wmf, cdl, dwg, dxf, pdf) and various methods to make these files usable. Know how to set up files for print, pre-nesting, bleeds or not, crop marks etc. I'm sure I'm still missing a lot more

Oh and when/how to take out the trash, clean the bathroom, sweep/mop, keep a neat appearance etc. You know, all that "adult stuff" lol

Johnny Best

Just pay someone $75 an hour. Did not know we had such great designers on this forum, from self taught to apprenticeships. Very impressive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You oughta come around more. We have at our fingertips...... design experts, layout experts, font experts and computer experts.

gnubler

Myront is correct...fonts can be the biggest PITA when dealing with design. Good to have a huge library and use a manager like Suitcase, label fonts by style or category. You will constantly be having to try to match fonts for old logos or signs, where the customer has no idea what it is.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The hardest part of graphic design is learning what to draw, not how to draw it. Learning the software is an important, but not difficult aspect of the job. The technical issues of font management, color management, file types, etc. can be learned at home with a little effort, and is taught in high school and colleges.

Learning what to draw takes experience (and usually talent - whatever that is). I've been doing this for years, and on any given day I may be called upon to design anything from a new logo to construction drawings for a high-rise sign (footings, steel specs, lighting layouts, fabrication details, location diagrams, etc.). I am of the firm opinion that a good designer, someone who can transfer ideas into workable drawings, is among the most valuable members of any sign business (especially those companies that fabricate and install large scale and electric signs).

John Miller

I've been a "sign designer" for years with the same sign company. I feel I'm being paid well and right on target for this area. I consider myself a "Graphic Designer" not just a sign designer. I do anything from simple yard signs, banners, tradeshow displays, logo design as well as logo re-draws to very complex vehicle wraps. I also aid in production, open the shop every morning, clean bathrooms, sweep/mop floors, take out the garbage 3 times a day, cut vinyl, plot templates, manage production to ensure timelines are met. I also assist with off-site installs and /or do the complete install. Even do simple vehicle applications.

So, anyway, there's a current job posting at a competitive sign company that is looking for all those same skills and starting pay is $5-15 an hour more than what I make here. So why not jump? My current job is 2.8 miles from my home, this job is 12 miles more and a $3 bridge toll each way and a lot heavier traffic. My wife works from home so I go home for lunch and we eat and take a walk every day. I also have a pension from the military so I can't really see the benefit to make the move.
I'll bet if your boss knew about that job possibility, he may give you a raise. wouldn't hurt to make him aware.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
we pay $23 an hour for our full time guy. Pretty much exactly like what you’re looking for. He also helps with production as well when he’s not designing

AKwrapguy

Hi everyone, new here so if this has already been asked I apologize. Anyways, for those of you that have Graphics Guys, how do you pay them? Is it hourly, by the job or another way? My company started out doing helmets decals for Youth Sports but we've since expanded and do jobs outside of sports now, i.e. Wall Graphics, Store Fronts, Trailers, etc. I've attached some images from past jobs we've done for reference. This is a completely different arena from sports decals abd new territory for me so I want to make sure I'm going about this the right way. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly

Hi everyone, new here so if this has already been asked I apologize. Anyways, for those of you that have Graphics Guys, how do you pay them? Is it hourly, by the job or another way? My company started out doing helmets decals for Youth Sports but we've since expanded and do jobs outside of sports now, i.e. Wall Graphics, Store Fronts, Trailers, etc. I've attached some images from past jobs we've done for reference. This is a completely different arena from sports decals abd new territory for me so I want to make sure I'm going about this the right way. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!
So it sounds like you are currently farming out all your design stuff.
So the rate is usually dictated by the designer. I would think that they would bill you by each project.
That being said, if it's your company I would put in the time to learn different design software and some basic layout concepts.

Also remember that almost all 'art' is subjective and the opinion that matters is the person writing the check.

If you are looking at hiring in house, at my shops I was making $24-26 an hour with full benefits and retirement.

netsol

I agree. $12 an hour is the equivalent of minimum wage here. Fast food joints pay more than that.
did you see NYC wants to make delivery people get paid a minimum of $24?
they said it would ONLY ADD about $5 per delivery

this certainly skews the whole thing, quite a bit
this is why, i guess, so many people have not gone back to work

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hi texas33 I am a graphic designer and work for a few signs shops, I charge $50 dollars for easy designs to $250 for detailed and more elaborate designs.
Many (small shops) do this when they don’t need designer in the shop. find me on instagram eleven_18graphics for pictures
Nice work Alma!

gnubler

did you see NYC wants to make delivery people get paid a minimum of $24?
Around here the fast food places and grocery stores are paying close to what I would make hourly as a designer (based on what I experienced the last few years before I started my sign business). I saw a job ad posted for a graphic designer in a print shop a couple years ago, starting pay $13/hour. Ridiculous. At best all they're going to get is a HS student who wants the experience but knows nothing about commercial printing.

RabidOne

Around here the fast food places and grocery stores are paying close to what I would make hourly as a designer (based on what I experienced the last few years before I started my sign business). I saw a job ad posted for a graphic designer in a print shop a couple years ago, starting pay $13/hour. Ridiculous. At best all they're going to get is a HS student who wants the experience but knows nothing about commercial printing.
Lots of places like that here. But they are the shops always looking for staff.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Kind of goes to show that it's not all about the money? Everyone is hard on fast food workers but they work, all day long, it never quits and you never feel accomplished. So they have constant turnover because there is no self fulfilment in that line of work, at all. To put a spin on Carville's quote, it's the job stupid.