• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much do you pay your Graphics Guy?

Boudica

Rallying the penguins
I think.... It's complicated. Whenever there are "easy answers" vastly different from each other, it's complicated. Less tolerance from the person who wants dignity, no matter what the job they are performing, to the intolerant customer, client, boss.
Or, I read way to many headlines re tick tock users sharing some outrageous experience. Can we end tick tock yet?

texas33

So it sounds like you are currently farming out all your design stuff.
So the rate is usually dictated by the designer. I would think that they would bill you by each project.
That being said, if it's your company I would put in the time to learn different design software and some basic layout concepts.

Also remember that almost all 'art' is subjective and the opinion that matters is the person writing the check.

If you are looking at hiring in house, at my shops I was making $24-26 an hour with full benefits and retirement.
Actually no, everything we do is in house. I'm a small 2 person business currently but once I find a new location I'll bring in a dedicated Sales Person. I'm shooting to have that done by year's end. My Graphics Guy does all of the design(he's well versed in several design programs as well as CAD), printing, small installs(I'll help if it's a bigger job), and does material pickup runs. He brings in jobs as well whenever he can. I pay him by the job right now but for the Youth Sports side, it's a percentage of the job and design fee. Youth sports is a completely different animal than Banners, Store Fronts, Trailers, etc. The jobs are smaller but there's more of them, especially during the busy season when teams are gearing up. I've been on the Youth Sports side for a while so I've had all of that figured out for a while already. The Sign side though is completely new to me. I know it's a learning process, so I want to make sure I start off on the right foot.

AKwrapguy

Actually no, everything we do is in house. I'm a small 2 person business currently but once I find a new location I'll bring in a dedicated Sales Person. I'm shooting to have that done by year's end. My Graphics Guy does all of the design(he's well versed in several design programs as well as CAD), printing, small installs(I'll help if it's a bigger job), and does material pickup runs. He brings in jobs as well whenever he can. I pay him by the job right now but for the Youth Sports side, it's a percentage of the job and design fee. Youth sports is a completely different animal than Banners, Store Fronts, Trailers, etc. The jobs are smaller but there's more of them, especially during the busy season when teams are gearing up. I've been on the Youth Sports side for a while so I've had all of that figured out for a while already. The Sign side though is completely new to me. I know it's a learning process, so I want to make sure I start off on the right foot.
That sounds more complicated than I think it needs to be. So does he's price change? Let's say you quote out a price, client accepts than you negotiate with your employee for the job?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of the right foot..........

Do you have a written contract with this second person ??
Do you pay any employee health insurance, vacation or sick pay ??
Do you provide the tools and supplies ??
Do you pay his social security and medicare taxes ??
Do you withhold federal, state, local taxes and unemployment taxes ??