• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much time do you estimate for employee to hem & grommet 15 banners?

FatCat

OK, so new guy does great work but he seems (to me) very slow.

I gave him a roll of 15 banners, 3' x 3' that needed cut down/trimmed from a 38" roll so he's only trimming top and bottom, and then 4 sided tape hem and grommets placed in each of 4 corners, then roll up and tape each one when done. Before I tell you how long he took, would like to know what each of you would expect your employee to accomplish this task in. Really looking for a reasonable ballpark for time - I realize everyone is a little different...

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For us, we'd roll all the banners off one by one and cut them to size. 15 of them, probably take about 1/2 an hour. Next hem them all. Maybe another hour. Grommet, I imagine 1 in each corner, about 1/2 hour total. So for sh!ts and giggles, I'd allow maybe 3 hours tops. That allows for goofing off and talking.

Malkin

Same as Gino, I would allow 3-4 hours. Even up to 5 wouldn't be a big deal if we weren't busy.
Much beyond that is sort of ridiculous.

CanuckSigns

I would expect an employee who doesn't have to deal with any distractions (answering phone, dealing with clients etc.) to be able to do these in 3 hours. Myself, it would take about 5 because i'm constantly being interrupted.

FatCat

OK, so it took him 3.5 hrs - grommet press - which I thought seemed excessive, but apparently not if you all feel 3-4 hours is the norm.

So maybe I'm expecting too much and the problem is me? :rolleyes:

Lol, thanks guys.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
OK, so it took him 3.5 hrs - grommet press - which I thought seemed excessive, but apparently not if you all feel 3-4 hours is the norm.

So maybe I'm expecting too much and the problem is me? :rolleyes:

Lol, thanks guys.

Nah, the problem isn't you, but you will do things with such determination, that you go right through it, if uninterrupted. I pretty much now double what I think I could do things in and then some... to make sure I account for mistakes, waste and just it didn't weed right or it didn't do this or it didn't do that...... it's always IT that doesn't do something right, never the operator. That takes time to explain to someone... the vinyl didn't jump off the table onto the floor.... you weren't paying f*ckin' attention. :frustrated:

Chriswagner92

I always think to myself/tell the guy I work with, I could either hurry and do it in such and such time, and probably make it FUBAR and redo it, or take my time and do it right once... some people don't get that logic

Pat Whatley

I would expect him to take about 20 minutes to knock out the printing, hemming, and grommets.

Of course we just sub it out because there's no way I can print them in house and do all the finishing for what I pay signs2trade. :wink:

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
If he is new and you are not sure about the time needed to do the job .. I would stay and work with him on 1 banner with a timer turn on. Once we both agree on the time it take to do one banner then I can confidently tell him the time to finish them all and he has no excuse for not finishing them on time.

Ponto

OK, so new guy does great work but he seems (to me) very slow.

I gave him a roll of 15 banners, 3' x 3' that needed cut down/trimmed from a 38" roll so he's only trimming top and bottom, and then 4 sided tape hem and grommets placed in each of 4 corners, then roll up and tape each one when done. Before I tell you how long he took, would like to know what each of you would expect your employee to accomplish this task in. Really looking for a reasonable ballpark for time - I realize everyone is a little different...

Thanks!

Hey,... are you able to forward your contact for "4 sided tape".....that might come in handy one of these days........ and were you able to monitor the progression of the "new guy" and offer some guidance when you decided that the "pace" was not acceptable.....?

JP

FatCat

Yeah, in the end I think I could have knocked them out in about 2 hours without too much stress. I "was" going to say something to him, but I think after hearing everyone's opinion I'll decide to gently prod him along next time, but won't be a d*ck about it. :Big Laugh

the graphics co

I find a good way to achieve a faster output is to tell them exactly how long i anticipate it should take to complete a task. If they don't finish in time, let them know that their goal for the next one is to get it closer to the goal time. When the goal time is achieved you acknowledge it. They will know exactly what you expect, and won't be put off or feel down about sarcasm or gentle nudging to always go faster. This will also set you up for future projects and employee expectations.

Your employees can't read your mind, if you don't tell them what you expect they will never meet your expectations.