• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How NOT to letter a boat

Colin

Saw this today. Painful.

Attachments

• P1050563.JPG
    P1050563.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 79

Craig Sjoquist

Good lettering of a boat is not cheap.
Cheap lettering is not good.

makes me wonder how much they paid and would they pay more if it was well done??

S'N'S

You think that's bad, a "signwriter" near here lettered a contractors 6 truck doors the exact same way, in an arc and it spun my eyes out trying to read it every time I saw them. I went in and told them they were shocking and hard to read and they agreed, I got the job of redoing them. Wahoo...go me!

SignosaurusRex

:ROFLMAO: I just saw that same boat recently at one of the Marina's while doing a yacht lettering project survey. The worst part is that it was moored amongst multi-million dollar vessels that had lettering on them that cost thousands.

Service Sign Co

I never could figure why someone would spend 500,000.00 on a friggin boat and 50.00 to identify it.
There are probably more idiots that buy boats than there are in the sign business.

chopper

this is not so bad....back in the 80's I did a lot of boat registration numbers, (hand painted)
the cost started at 50.00 up depending on what they wanted, one guy had a fairy expensive boat but he was to cheap to pay the 50 bucks, the next time I seen his boat it was on the lake with the reg numbers written on a chunk of cardboard taped to the hull.
it was a work of art, I wish I had taken a photo of it.
//chopper

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Looks like their drop shadow....dropped.

BUT....on the other hand, it kinda has that lenticular effect...black from one angle...red from the other. I'll bet he got charged extra.

JB

GypsyGraphics

Don't worry, after a few stiff drinks, it'll all come into focus!
maybe the installer already had a few... and it looked perfect to him.
it's the only thing that makes sense
can't imagine anyone looking at that and not thinking "what the..."

it's so unbelievably bad!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think it's awesome!
I'm looking at it right now through the 3D glasses I had left over from watching "Avatar"
and those letters look like they are floating about 6" in front of my screen.....
All that's missing is a dimensional QR scan code hand carved from some 10mm coro to direct me to a place to get my own 3d boat letters.

wayne k
guam usa

wayne k
guam usa

phototec

Hey man, give the guy a break, his wife just got her new Cricket and wanted to practice for her new sign business she running out of the basement. She wants to do all the boats in the marina.

Everyone has to start somewhere!

:omg2:

Dave Drane

That is disgusting. I often see stuff like that and they don't even bother to cut the second piece out. just stick the same cut on top of the send layer with bumps n' all.

Jillbeans

I also suspect it was a cricutter, however, I don't think CriCuts cut that big.
Unfortunate use of colors, but a good tool to demonstrate why a drop shadow should not have more impact than the main name.
And you could park a small dinghy in the space between the boat name and the port.
Looks like a hot mess.
Love....Jill

Colin

We can't know if it was the customer or the "sign guy" who elected to use black for the shadow instead of the obvious logical choice of gray, but the thick & extremely thin strokes of the font choice also contribute to what looks like a "Kill the Legibility" contest.

Also, Port names are generally and traditionally placed on the transom only, not both sides of the boat, and yes, the vinyl was just layered instead of creating a separate shadow.

The stupid................it burns!