• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How should I fabricate this?

imajenn

Client wants to have their logo mounted on the outside patio and halo lit. The issue is the dashed line and airplane icon.

Any suggestions on how (if possible) to get the dashes and airplane icon to light up as well? It probably needs to be mounted on a backer of some sort.

What do guys recommend?

D4853311-8DD7-4513-B415-60F1BF7B8449.png

Attachments

• E8E6FBA6-D066-4425-AD6A-54052FEF84CA.png
    E8E6FBA6-D066-4425-AD6A-54052FEF84CA.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 235

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Not my expertise at all, but I've never seen anything like that. Is it even possible? Can you show a realistic example of what you have in mind? Not a mock-up, but a real life sign with all those complications in a similar fashion?

rjssigns

Backer with pin mounts for everything and to hide the wiring. LED wiring will be a rat nest but it's doable. Some of the yachts I work on have stunning halo lit lettering that takes days to install because of the wiring.

signpro

Manager
What Boudica said... could you make the dashed line out of a colored LED strip?
you'd need some sort of metal routered to that shape to attached it to (rigid piece)
then the LED strip alone might be nice, or you could use some little pieces of vinyl to
block off an inch at a time of the LED strip.

but chances are the LED strip alone would look nice enough.
just need a little piece of metal routered behind it to make it rigid

Scotchbrite

No comment
How big are the individual dash pieces? Can they be enlarged a little to accommodate LEDs if needed?

I would make the paper airplane a solid white piece with the orange lines applied. To me that would look more natural than the line drawing and it's more practical to backlight.

For the backer panel, you could outline the logo about 3" so it's not just a rectangle behind it. But you're going to need some sort of wireway behind it all.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
you could do a clear acrylic "bubble cut" for a background to mount the metal or plastic or whatever you're making the letters out of. then the dashes could be stud mounted with the lettering. as for lighting it up? i think it'll be kinda hard to do with LEDs, but you could create it with neon. just paint the glass to create the dashes.

Precision

How about a push thru lighted box. 3" deep aluminum box, with a custom face shape attached over the face, then routed and fill with 1/2" acrylic pushing through, with LED lighting inside the cabinet. The face plate over the box can be a shadow of the wording, dashes and plane. All of the elements will be lit. If exterior you would need to build it with weep holes like a channel letter. Interior you can use a 110 plug with an on/off switch.

Just one idea

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
If the main letters are halo illuminated they need to have a solid background to reflect on otherwise it just won't look good lit up. You could do a shallow cabinet with an aluminum face and mount the halo letters to that. You could do the dots and plane as push thru acrylic pieces with internal illumination for those. Make the cabinet deep enough to house the power supply and put a switch on the side and be done. Or make it really shallow and remote mount a power supply / switch somewhere else. It would be way more vandal resistant if everything was mounted to a cabinet, you don't want customers to have the ability to mess around with some kind of supported light strip that goes above the railing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Different aspects of this idea are certainly doable, but putting the whole thing together will never achieve the effect(s) you created on 2D, in the real world of 3D.

This whole thing would hafta go back to the drawing board and show/explain to the customer in how many ways this will never work as presented.

highrolling24

And I love how the little airplane swoop goes over the railing like magic! I know we are good but dang that will be interesting, keep us updated on how you pulled that one off. This looks like one of my old sales guy drawing, Promise them the World and give them s??t (or make the shop foreman loose his mind)!!