• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut channel letter faces without CNC router?

nolanola

Hello Forum.
What tools and method do you use to cut channel letter faces when there are no files available? For example when faded faces need to be replaced.
The method I was told is to remove a channel letter can from the wall, put it on the table, attach to a sheet of acrylic with double sided tape, flip over and cut with a hand router with flush trim bit (with the bearing). That didn't always work well for use.
We tried Oscillating Tool with questionable results.

Thank you!

red.jpg
X.jpg

router.png
bit.jpg
multi tool.jpg

signbrad

Before CNC routers, all channel letter faces were cut by hand. The commonest tool was a sabre saw or jigsaw. I used hollow ground blades with 20 TPI for very smooth cuts with no cleanup. Also used were bandsaws, handheld routers or a Cutawl saw.

Avoid cheaper acrylics—they melt behind the blade—and don't push the blade too hard. The hollow ground blades get hot, especially if you are cutting 2 or 3 letters at a time (stacked). The blade snaps when it gets too hot.

I kept 2' x 6' x 4-inch thick slabs of foam for a cutting surface.

Cutawl

Brad in Kansas City

Billct2

We'd trace it onto the new acrylic cover sheet and cut with a jigsaw. Like Brad said, get some cheap thick insulation foam board to cut on, makes it easier.
We used to do these on a bandsaw, remember one place that had the deepest throat bandsaw I ever saw, they could do 6' letters.

gnubler

This was covered in depth in a thread I started last winter. Similar situation - replacing old faces with no artwork for the existing letters.

I ended up passing on the job. Six months later I still see those grimy letters up there, nobody wants to touch it.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
my mentor would have answered your question with "very carefully"

but yes, without a cnc, trace the shape onto acrylic and cut it out with a jigsaw.

gnubler

As was discussed in another thread, if the sign is old the trim cap might be brittle or cracked, and you'll have to deal with that when putting the new faces in.

Johnny Best

Back in late sixties and seventies it was a deep throated bandsaw that cut the acrylic like butter. Jigsaws work well if they were to big for the bandsaw. Cutawl is the fantastic tool but have not seen one for years and that is the one tool I should have never sold.

JQUEST

JV33-160 + FC8600-160
Cutawl is the fantastic tool but have not seen one for years and that is the one tool I should have never sold.
I almost bought one a couple of years ago. I should have...