• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to deal with silicone on trailer

gabagoo

I am by no means a wrap shop, but the odd time I have to do partial wraps on trailers. This one I have today has clear silicone above the side door and I have found it along the top edge of the trailer under the aluminum trim. How do you deal with these areas?

visual800

scrape off what I can with razor and wipe the hell out of it with alcohol, rapid remover also works well

Stacey K

I like making signs

1:43 this guy gives you an example, I'm not sure what the chemical is as I couldn't find it on the website. The video is pretty good on showing you how to do a trailer wrap.

Evan Gillette

I have heard that WD-40 is good at removing silicone, after watching the clip from Stacey I would not be surprised if they are using that or a similar lubricant. A quick google search says it will also remove tar easily. Again this IS NOT from personal experience, just hearsay.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have heard that WD-40 is good at removing silicone, after watching the clip from Stacey I would not be surprised if they are using that or a similar lubricant. A quick google search says it will also remove tar easily. Again this IS NOT from personal experience, just hearsay.

That would be the most miserable thing to use. It doesn't evaporate, you'll have to clean it over and over to get it off and if any residual runs out of a lap or rivet you can guarantee failure at that point. You have to scrape off the silicone just like in that video. Cut it, scrape it and then go get a gallon of silicone and wax remover from your local body shop supply house. $50/qt is robbery.

AllStarNow

We use Rapid Remover by Rapid Tac. You might want to note in the video he re-applies a bead of silicone at the end.

Evan Gillette

That would be the most miserable thing to use. It doesn't evaporate, you'll have to clean it over and over to get it off and if any residual runs out of a lap or rivet you can guarantee failure at that point. You have to scrape off the silicone just like in that video. Cut it, scrape it and then go get a gallon of silicone and wax remover from your local body shop supply house. $50/qt is robbery.

I agree it doesn't seem like a smart option as it would require additional cleaning just passing along what I have heard, do you have any name brands or sources for the silicone remover you mention?

Notarealsignguy

I agree it doesn't seem like a smart option as it would require additional cleaning just passing along what I have heard, do you have any name brands or sources for the silicone remover you mention?
There's a million brands
Nason
Prep-all
Advantage
USC
Every paint supply place carries different brands but it's all the same stuff.

96XP

Depending on type, and in a pinch, have used gasoline to soften; better yet is Acetone.
Scraped off the bulk of it (which was thick), then cleaned up the leftovers on the surface with the Acetone and a plastic non-scratch tool.
Came out perfect - no damage to surface.

Caveat
Always test first.

De.signs Nanaimo

I trim around the silicone, I don't want to waste time breaking the water seal on a trailer, never had a client complain.

One commented on it once and when I explained about disturbing the seal they agreed I did the right thing. If they did end up wanting me to remove it and reseal after the wrap, I would charge them for the time and supplies.

Notarealsignguy

I'm pretty sure that they silicone the panel lap and what you see is just what pushed out. Removing it won't effect the seal.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

1:43 this guy gives you an example, I'm not sure what the chemical is as I couldn't find it on the website. The video is pretty good on showing you how to do a trailer wrap.

Hahaaa...... I'm not sure what has more ink on it...... the vinyl or those guys.​

MikePro

100% cleanup is unnecessary if our intent is to just gob new silione back over it in its place. I just whack it off as smooth as i can, and then embed my rough-cut vinyl halfway into the new layer of silicone. Otherwise, its a concern/cost I address with the client and majority of the time they are perfectly fine with me rough-trimming the silione line.

Andy D

This might be a stupid question, because I don't do wraps..
Isn't there some type of fast drying paint primer (or other fluid) that will stick to about anything, that a person could coat silicone with & then wrap over?
If so, it seems that would be easier and less likely to damage the vehicle.

Notarealsignguy

Isn't there some type of fast drying paint primer (or other fluid) that will stick to about anything, that a person could coat silicone with & then wrap over?
No, nothing sticks to 100% silicone. If they used urethane seam sealer it'd be different but it's not clear.

Baz

Also. Even if you could wrap over a "coated" silicone, It most likely is a joint where you have to cut the vinyl to separate individual panels. Or else you will develop a ripped effect over time from the stress of two panels moving separately. Might as well remove the silicone, clean it and have a nice surface to wrap over.