• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get a c-45 license

signage

Rick I guess I hid the secret to good:banghead:

You would probably pass easier if you take your side kick along with you while you take the test:rolleyes:
:Big Laugh

GG and your cheat sheet!

But I think you still got the idea:omg::Big Laugh

Now does GG need a helmet rather than a hard hat:help

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You would probably pass easier if you take your side kick along with you while you take the test:rolleyes:
:Big Laugh

GG and your cheat sheet!

Better yet take her with you and wear that sock monkey outfit you've shown us.
Being in California I'm betting they give extra points for for costuming

wayne k
guam usa

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Attachments

• 945459_643974978963690_2040747570_n.jpg
    945459_643974978963690_2040747570_n.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 42

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Better yet take her with you and wear that sock monkey outfit you've shown us.
Being in California I'm betting they give extra points for for costuming

wayne k
guam usa

I can dupe them with my crimson buttocks...

I was just thinking about the OP and his attitude...
GG had the impression that I was giving her a hand slap on this very subject, but she didn't leave in a huff, and now we are best friends... the OP really has to lighten up.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...el-Letter-HELP%85-getting-widely-varying-bids

appstro

This is probably my 4th or 5th post that some A$$ has a rude comment on. So its not just this thread, its every other ******* thread that me or anyone else posts on. I will lighten up when people dont make persional attacks. How would you like it if I made rude comments on your posts above? Is that OK??? I am sure I have a bunch of rude things to say about helmets and hard hats...Are you sure thats OK?????

We can all be critical, but making judgements about someone to provoke them is called BAITING and TROLLING....and that gets you banned on other forums. Saying something to someone that you know they will be offended by is not necessary or considerate. Thats all I am saying. I am done tolerating the A$$holes. I am not going to lighten up. I have endured 3 pages of "let me tell you whats" on this forum before and shown the most respect I can.

Bigcat_hunter

I would contact whom ever issues the license and ask them how to go about it. Most careers that require a licenses in Oregon require a test and continuing education. They provide you with a study book etc. That being said, unfortunately you live in the communist republic of Kalifornia. Common sense has been bred out of most people that run that state.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, there are quite a few lessons to be learned here in this thread and you're not paying attention to any of them.

I've tried to be nice to you here in your thread and in PM'ing you. You just p!ss on 'em. You're getting answers, but you just don't like any of them and when things don't go your way..... you just shoot off your big mouth and condemn others who just happen to be in YOUR thread.

Personally, I don't care what you do or how you go about your business, but I do care about others who will read this thread down the road and try to run their business without all your drama inserted later on. I'm all about helping, whether I do it 100% as I tell it or just know from experience..... it's all about helping fellow sign people, but sign people.... not pretenders or bullsh!tters. Take the help or just wrinkle your nose up at it and call everyone names, but listening to your little cry-baby crap is just pathetic.

Here's the whole thing in a nutshell for you...

YOU AIN'T QUALIFIED TO DO THIS STUFF IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Whether as mentioned, I'm on a high horse or not...... that's not the issue. Stay focused here apps.... cause this whole thread is about you. You wanting to do something you can't and you've been told over and over and over again, you can't but you still are waiting for someone to tell you how you can do these jobs you don't want to turn down.

Be happy you have a sign business for three years and are feeding those kids of yours.... cause there are a lot of full blown sign people closing their doors because backyard hacks doing stuff out of their garage are hacking their way into the industry for lowball prices. They don't know how, why or what they're doing, but they have enough sense to act the part and talk the talk.

By the way.... did you even read the thread Rick posted in yours ?? You would've read how a responsible person goes about the very thing you are p!ssing and moaning about. :ROFLMAO: Again, does that make it better ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Coming right up........................

Ya know, there are quite a few lessons to be learned here in this thread and you're not paying attention to any of them.

I've tried to be nice to you here in your thread and in PM'ing you. You just p!ss on 'em. You're getting answers, but you just don't like any of them and when things don't go your way..... you just shoot off your big mouth and condemn others who just happen to be in YOUR thread.

Personally, I don't care what you do or how you go about your business, but I do care about others who will read this thread down the road and try to run their business without all your drama inserted later on. I'm all about helping, whether I do it 100% as I tell it or just know from experience..... it's all about helping fellow sign people, but sign people.... not pretenders or bullsh!tters. Take the help or just wrinkle your nose up at it and call everyone names, but listening to your little cry-baby crap is just pathetic.

Here's the whole thing in a nutshell for you...

YOU AIN'T QUALIFIED TO DO THIS STUFF IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Whether as mentioned, I'm on a high horse or not...... that's not the issue. Stay focused here apps.... cause this whole thread is about you. You wanting to do something you can't and you've been told over and over and over again, you can't but you still are waiting for someone to tell you how you can do these jobs you don't want to turn down.

Be happy you have a sign business for three years and are feeding those kids of yours.... cause there are a lot of full blown sign people closing their doors because backyard hacks doing stuff out of their garage are hacking their way into the industry for lowball prices. They don't know how, why or what they're doing, but they have enough sense to act the part and talk the talk.

By the way.... did you even read the thread Rick posted in yours ?? You would've read how a responsible person goes about the very thing you are p!ssing and moaning about. :ROFLMAO: Again, does that make it better ??

RiXaX

C-61 is what you need to install non electrical signs, C-45 for electric. I thought it was four years of certified experience, at least it was when I did it. The qualifications that you described are all pertaining to the design side of the signs, not the mechanical. When you're wiring someone's building there is a large liability and I think the licensing is intended to protect the consumer. Suppose a building fire is traced to a spark from a transformer installed by an unlicensed contractor? Most liability insurance is dependent on having the proper credential. I think everyone is protected by this.

Perhaps you could put in a day a week working for an electrical sign installer at minimum wage. You could learn their ways and log the time.
I think the suppliers of your materials can also verify your time in the business.

Have you ever worked any construction? Do you understand how a building is made when you approach it? This is some needed info when using any type of fastener. You need to understand where the stress load is and wind loads. It's all common sense, until you see the requirements by building departments to obtain a permit.

I see so many raggedy and questionably safe installations that I'd want to encourage you to always be mindful of public safety more than getting the job because of the bid.

PS. I see they have a D45 for non electrical. When I got mine that category was not there

appstro

Things I have learned from Signs 101

1. If you are new to this industry and are working alone. You are a Hack.
2. Signs 101 is no place for beginners.
3. If you are brave enough to post any questions you will have to endure hazings to get your answer.
4. Read points 1-3 and get the hell out of here, hack! :)

Things I learned from this thread:

1. I will have to find another way to get my contractors license. Nobody is going to let me work with them part time for free (worth a shot) Nobody is going to share a sale.
2. There are a few kind people here, but not many.
3. Gino is an A$$hole looking for a good fight and you should ignore ALL his comments lest you get pulled into his diatribe:"A forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something".

For those of you that contributed with positive and useful information: Thank you! :)

appstro

C-61 is what you need to install non electrical signs, C-45 for electric. I thought it was four years of certified experience, at least it was when I did it. The qualifications that you described are all pertaining to the design side of the signs, not the mechanical. When you're wiring someone's building there is a large liability and I think the licensing is intended to protect the consumer. Suppose a building fire is traced to a spark from a transformer installed by an unlicensed contractor? Most liability insurance is dependent on having the proper credential. I think everyone is protected by this.

Perhaps you could put in a day a week working for an electrical sign installer at minimum wage. You could learn their ways and log the time.
I think the suppliers of your materials can also verify your time in the business.

Have you ever worked any construction? Do you understand how a building is made when you approach it? This is some needed info when using any type of fastener. You need to understand where the stress load is and wind loads. It's all common sense, until you see the requirements by building departments to obtain a permit.

I see so many raggedy and questionably safe installations that I'd want to encourage you to always be mindful of public safety more than getting the job because of the bid.

PS. I see they have a D45 for non electrical. When I got mine that category was not there

Thanks man! :) yes I have taken all this into consideration. I dont want to just jump into anything, so I was actually looking to intern somewhere possibly. I dont think most shops would be open to that though. Unless I worked for them exclusively for a few years. I am making too much on my own to do that now, so I cant work for someone else full time.

I dont actually need to do electric signs C-45 ( I realize that now) so much as I would like the D-42. I am grateful that someone mentioned that classification. I have already done quite a few installs (hack) and I do have a limited construction background. I understand some stuff, but I admittedly have alot to learn. Too bad there isnt a class or book to take me to where I need to be.

In the next year or three I would like to get my contractors License, get bonded and insured....
I already have a business license and I am looking into liability insurance for the business now.

I will figure this out eventually. If I want to continue doing signs and get bigger jobs I will have to!!. :) Its the only path. Thanks :)

skyhigh

This is probably my 4th or 5th post that some A$$ has a rude comment on. So its not just this thread, its every other ******* thread that me or anyone else posts on. I will lighten up when people dont make persional attacks. How would you like it if I made rude comments on your posts above? Is that OK??? I am sure I have a bunch of rude things to say about helmets and hard hats...Are you sure thats OK?????

Hey man, I don't have time to read all the following posts, but I can give you some good advice. First off, I though some may have been rather harsh in their replies yesterday.....but I guess you can't distinguish between good advice and the trolls.

The man that posted the pictures of a "helmet", is one of the most easy going, no BS, and most intelligent contacts in your area. Tell him your sorry.....send him some flowers.....and tell him how nice he looks in his hard hat.

You're going off the deep end dude.

appstro

My point was that personal attacks to provoke someone are not needed. That was the whole point. I do apologize if I offended her or him.

Hmm.....I went back and looked at all my posts that I have made and the responses I got. I hate to admit it but, Gino has actually had alot of good advice. He is a little heavy at times but most of his posts were honest and to the point. I am not sure whats happening now with me and him. He has written me 2 page PM's today ranting on and on.....but he has helped in the past. I also see that other than a few prods here and there most people were trying to help.

So perhaps I do need to "lighten up".

I want to apologize to anyone that I may have offended. I have alot to learn about the sign industry. Its very frustrating at times because I want to move forward and get more experience, but I dont have many resources for info and I cant work for someone else. So, the internet has been a big help. I think thats what pisses Gino off the most. He is mad that someone can just jump into this field, "press print" and not do it the long way he did so many years ago. I would love to work along side someone and learn! That just isnt going to happen now..I see that.....I cant change it. I have a company. I want to grow. I need to learn. I cant go backwards. I will do this and I will do it by asking alot of questions and doing research and trial and error. I am committed to doing a great job for my customers no matter how much it costs me. Eventually I will have everything I need in place and get all my Licensing and Bonding and insurance. Until then I will just be a "hack" lol :)

SignManiac

Your new attitude and outlook are the correct way to receive help. You sound determined to be successful in the sign biz. Best of luck to you. It's a long hard road this business is, but it can be a great way to make a living when it gets in your blood.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My point was that personal attacks to provoke someone are not needed. That was the whole point. I do apologize if I offended her or him.

Hmm.....I went back and looked at all my posts that I have made and the responses I got. I hate to admit it but, Gino has actually had alot of good advice. He is a little heavy at times but most of his posts were honest and to the point. I am not sure whats happening now with me and him. He has written me 2 page PM's today ranting on and on.....but he has helped in the past. I also see that other than a few prods here and there most people were trying to help.

So perhaps I do need to "lighten up".

I want to apologize to anyone that I may have offended. I have alot to learn about the sign industry. Its very frustrating at times because I want to move forward and get more experience, but I dont have many resources for info and I cant work for someone else. So, the internet has been a big help. I think thats what pisses Gino off the most. He is mad that someone can just jump into this field, "press print" and not do it the long way he did so many years ago. I would love to work along side someone and learn! That just isnt going to happen now..I see that.....I cant change it. I have a company. I want to grow. I need to learn. I cant go backwards. I will do this and I will do it by asking alot of questions and doing research and trial and error. I am committed to doing a great job for my customers no matter how much it costs me. Eventually I will have everything I need in place and get all my Licensing and Bonding and insurance. Until then I will just be a "hack" lol :)

Believe me..... you don't p!ss me off. However, you are frustrating. No matter how someone tries to help you, you take offense to it.

I'm not mad because someone just pushes a button and presto they're in the sign industry. Heck.... do you realize how much easier that has made my life and our business ?? Years ago we had sign painters, screen printers, electric guys in the shop doing their thing. Today the computers, plotters and printers have taken their place. We used to have a few months backlog with 7 guys painting alone. Now, we still have 3 or 4 months backlog, but one printer alone takes the place of about 8 or 9 guys. So we have to find more work. That's not a problem, but I helped to put some sign painters out of work and I never look at that in a keen way. It kinda bugs me to this day, but again.... I have to eat and so do our employees.

My main beef with people/newbies/hacks such as yourself is the mindset that you can do it and get the job done. You probably can, but without doing it legal.... you could hurt or possibly worse... start a fire or whatever, but lives can be lost.

I just re-read my PM's to you and they were not ranting. I'm tired of the p!ssing match, but like some others.... don't be making sh!t up and saying I said this stuff. I'll fess up to anything I say or do, but not what others lie about.

As far as between you and me...... this stuff was then, and now it's now. :toasting: Let's get beyond it and get you from 'Hack Level 3' to a full fledged sign person and operating at full steam ahead. :Big Laugh

:banghead: If you need this electrical stuff, test the waters, get the business and then hire a real electrician and do it on your own so you can control what goes out of your shop from a licensed point of view. Once there, you can get licensing and stuff from your own employee... going through proper channels.

davesinc

C45 License

Here are straight answers to your contractors questions. For the record I have a C45 license and first started in the industry without one nearly 10 years ago.
1. Yes, you need a license to install signs in the CA.
2. There are two licenses you can get. C61/D42 is a basic license that allows you to install non-electrical signs. A C45 allows you to install and connect electrical signs to a connection point established by a C10 electrician. There is a big difference between these two license categories.
3. To apply you either need 4 years of experience, verified and signed off by another licensed contractor with the same or higher classification or, if you have a graduate degree, 2 years of experience. (I think these are the right number of years)
4. I subbed out all of my permit/installation work to a sign contractor for the first two years upon which he was more than happy to sponsor my license application. It is much easier to work with each other if you both are license holders and are not each other's employee.

ALL of this and additional information regarding the California requirements for contractors license can be found on their web site, cslb.ca.gov.
Spend time looking thru and reading the requirements to find all of the non-emotional FACTS you need to become a licensed contractor. Many people getting into this business have no idea about this facet of the business when they first start and either stay in and figure it out, sub it out, do it illegally or stay away from work that requires a license.

appstro

Thank you. Yes that does seem to be the way. I will find a local sign company to do the permits and installs and hopefully one day I can ask them for a reference.