• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get a c-45 license

appstro

I want to get my c-45 sign installers license here in California. Seems like you cant do anything bigger than banners and small over the counter stuff here unless you have it...I have problem though.... I dont know how I am going to get the experience needed to get the license. I know that sounds crazy right? Most people start out working for a sign company and getting the needed experience, then after several years they move on and start their own business. They apply for a contractors license (c-45) and the former employer or other contractor may sponsor them so they can test and get their own license. No problem right?

BUT - I went about it backwards... I started my own business....Doing mostly vinyl and banners, etc... But now that I have been in business for 3 years, I am getting all kinds of calls for installs and even channel letter jobs and I am turning them away or offering design and manufacturing but not install. That sucks! I would like to do any sign that I please but I am not sure how to go about that now....

So - I am in San Diego... I need experience. What can I do? I dont think anyone will train someone that is going to be competition.... But San Diego is a big place.... Any ideas on what I can do??? I would be willing to work for nothing to get the experience and the reference for the CSLB application.

OR....

Any installers in San Diego that would be willing to partner on jobs without stealing my customer?

I am open for suggestions. Call me if you are interested in having a part time trainee or understudy. Please realize though that I have my own business and responsibilities to keep up with. That being said, I would do the most I could to learn. Eight Five Eight - Four Three Seven - Three Zero Nine Three

I have 15 years of commercial printing prepress experience and 3 years of sign work. I know photoshop, indesign, illustrator, flexi, colorrip, and a handful of other apps. I know plotters, printers and most shop tools...

Are there any other options???? How did you get your license???

Note: I politely ask that if you have a negative statement or asinine comment to make please do it somewhere else...unless you follow it up with real advice that I can use..... Then fire away!!! :)

:signs101:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
c45.jpg

You don't want any criticism, but you want advice. Hmmmm, probalby the same mindset that got you into this situation. :rolleyes:

You need to research things before jumping in with both feet.

appstro

HAHA- thats funny

See thats why I put the statement at the bottom of my post...
I dont mind criticism or advice - Thats exactly what I want.

....What I dont want or need is your insult of "Hmmmm, probably the same mindset that got you into this situation."

You dont have anything to offer. All you have is your insult. Go mess with someone elses thread that wants to waste time arguing with you. :noway:

By the way...You can study all you like and pass the exam. But, if you dont have a sponsor or cant prove experience, I dont think it matters. If I could just take the test, I would.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
HAHA- thats funny

See thats why I put the statement at the bottom of my post...
Tough t!ts !! I don't pay attention to stoopid restrictions.
I dont mind criticism or advice - Thats exactly what I want.

....What I dont want or need is your insult of "Hmmmm, probably the same mindset that got you into this situation."
You don't get to choose who or what anyone writes or insinuates, do you ?? The truth is the truth, no matter how you try to deny it.

You dont have anything to offer. All you have is your insult. Go mess with someone elses thread that wants to waste time arguing with you. :noway:
There was no insult there. You just didn't like the delivery.

By the way...You can study all you like and pass the exam. But, if you dont have a sponsor or cant prove experience, I dont think it matters. If I could just take the test, I would.

Remember, what you do or don't want is irrelevant to your original request.... How do you get a license ?? Evidently, you already know you don't or can't qualify, so you're trying to beat the system with some kinda scheme or shenanigan. For those of us that have done things in the proper sequence and procedure, you sir... are a hack.

Is there anything wrong with you taking the hard path and doing it correctly ?? Let's see..... you said.... oh yeah, you went about it backwards.

I am getting all kinds of calls for installs and even channel letter jobs and I am turning them away or offering design and manufacturing but not install. That sucks! I would like to do any sign that I please but I am not sure how to go about that now....

You want a piece of the pie without earning it or knowing how and side-stepping authority.

You can't possibly learn how to make a set of channels or wire them with California's codes. Besides being a contractor, you need an electrician's license. That's gonna take more than a few quick lessons for free at a sign shop, buddy.

Your best approach would be to align yourself with someone who can do all of this and offer them the pie and you take a few crumbs and stop bullsh!tting your competitors and level with them, cause you're right, they ain't gonna hire you or teach you for free.

skyhigh

`Gino Gino Gino.....
With your 40 years experience, and my 30 years, I doubt either of us could pass the test to get our contractors license in CA, if we were to apply today. (and I do have a "certified" electrical background, and a few other self taught construction skills....ie, welding and carpentry).

So lighten up Gino......
Tell the OP what is required in PA!!!! Buy Liability Insurance, and hang a shingle. Thats it!!!! Want to make those channel letters? Do like Gino does (as does most shops nowadays....not bashing you Gino), and wholesale them in, then go install them yourself. Don't know electric....well hell, just sub that part out to a qualified electrician (of course you want to cover your ***, make sure they are fully insured & have them add you as an "Additional Insured" on their policy.

So, just move to PA and you don't have any of those problems.

ok, not much help I know.
Dismount Gino.

appstro

Thanks.

Like I said. I dont mind working for FREE....and if it takes 5 years then so be it. I will work part time and do what I need to do. OR if someone else wants to tag team then I will sell the signs and they can do the installs. I just wanna work and make money.

For the record... I went into signs after losing my job in the commercial printing industry. I was making good money and doing well. I only went to signs because I already knew the graphics software and have run alot of equipment. I am not a HACK. I am a 44 year old laid off prepress tech that was making $60,000 a year and now I am working my *** off in my garage to feed my kids. If thats a Hack then **** you Gino I guess I am a hack.

What is it with this forum and grilling newbies and people looking for answers? Is this place just for journeyman level "hacks" only??? Everyone that comes here looking for other sign makers and people doing this business gets burned.

rjssigns

It is hard to judge inflection or intent when posting. Many times the people that have been around the block once or twice post their experiences they come across as being an a**hole. We try to prevent disasters we've experienced by posting the ugly part of the sign game. Things that a noobs rose colored glasses conveniently filter out.

Just went through very that same thing in another thread. Many posted yet only a few were brutally honest about what it takes. I need to know facts and base my decisions on those facts. Not I'm gonna get a printer and make gobs of money because so and so is selling whatever for X amount. When you corner these same "posters" that have an operating shop you find many times that "X" is a very small part of what they do to keep the doors swinging.

Here is an analogy: Remember your parents telling you that you had to eat ALL you vegetables or no dessert? Many people that are new to this forum don't want to eat their Brussel Sprouts.:Big Laugh

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Technically, in California, you can't even sell a sign and sub out the install and permitting to a licensed installer.
While it is "POSSIBLE" to get an electrical sign wholesale, then sub out the install and permitting, it's not legal and you can get fined, jailed and the customer does not have to pay you.

I'm planning on getting my electrical sign contractors license this year, I have the opportunity for a lot of work too, and the manufacturing and install pays better than just designing signs.

I would hit up Craigslist ads, there are quite a few sign companies hiring in San Diego right now, problem is, they may want experience with electrical signs. You are looking at a long time to into the realm of journeyman if you are going to do it part-time.

Right now, what you can do, is get your D-42 - Non-electrical sign installation license - if you qualify, and it sounds like you might.

Oh and calm down, most of us have kids to feed - it's an internet forum... what's great about a forum is you getting an opinion unfiltered
My analogy is this: You have seen American Idol, where they try out... some of these kids have been told many times that they have great singing voices but in reality, they really suck and someone should have told them before they embarrassed themselves in front of millions of people...

Last edited:

appstro

Thanks guys. D-42? I didnt see that on the CSLB list. I will look again! :thumb:

I am a member on lots of boards. I know most of the time to read someones post with a smile on my face and hope that they are being polite. :smile: I also know a troll when I see them.:cool: This forum has alot of trolls :popcorn:and Holier than thous...."Let me tell you somthin' sonny!!!" dont fly with me.

When I respond to a person (if I can) that is obviously honestly looking for answers and genuinely needs to be educated, I do it politely and try to treat them with some respect. I use alot of emoticons :thankyou::wink:to get my point across because I know that its easy to misunderstand.

I really do hesitate to post anything on this forum. Every time I do there is ALWAYS an A$$hole in the mix replying back with "oh he's just a vinyl guy" and "if you dont know what your doing then dont ******** your way through it" and other useless comments. If I knew what I was doing all the time, the LAST place I would come is HERE. :noway: I also see alot of others being attacked regularly. Its as if you guys are trying to tell people..." If you are not already a sign maker then **** off and get out of here, this place is not for you. Oh,.....and if you want to be a sign maker you can **** off too, this place is not for you either"....

Oh well, at least I DID get a few answers to my post and I will definitely look at the D-42 :thankyou::signs101:

Rick

I am a member on lots of boards. I know most of the time to read someones post with a smile on my face and hope that they are being polite. :smile: I also know a troll when I see them.:cool: This forum has alot of trolls :popcorn:and Holier than thous...."Let me tell you somthin' sonny!!!" dont fly with me.

When I respond to a person (if I can) that is obviously honestly looking for answers and genuinely needs to be educated, I do it politely and try to treat them with some respect. I use alot of emoticons :thankyou::wink:to get my point across because I know that its easy to misunderstand.

I really do hesitate to post anything on this forum. Every time I do there is ALWAYS an A$$hole in the mix replying back with "oh he's just a vinyl guy" and "if you dont know what your doing then dont ******** your way through it" and other useless comments. If I knew what I was doing all the time, the LAST place I would come is HERE. :noway: I also see alot of others being attacked regularly. Its as if you guys are trying to tell people..." If you are not already a sign maker then **** off and get out of here, this place is not for you. Oh,.....and if you want to be a sign maker you can **** off too, this place is not for you either"....

Wow, I think you just wasted a lot of brain juice on all that... I kinda thought you have some good info there even if the delivery came with no lubrication. Responding to every knuckle-headed comment is going to ruin a perfectly good thread. I'm sure later on, someone doing a search would rather get something out of this then reading all the back and forth all the time.

Hey, start a thread about how bad this place is and leave this thread alone so someone else can get something out of it!

If you don't like it here, then try:
SignWeb
Sign Forums
Sign Syndicate
Sign Industry
Letterville
The Letterheads
Sign Pig
US Cutter forum
SEGDTalk

skyhigh

Technically, in California, you can't even sell a sign and sub out the install and permitting to a licensed installer.
While it is "POSSIBLE" to get an electrical sign wholesale, then sub out the install and permitting, it's not legal and you can get fined, jailed and the customer does not have to pay you.

My knowledge of what is required in CA is pretty much limited to what I've read of Ricks posts. It seems CA & PA are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'm not sure which way I'd prefer. I guess it all depends on how hard that test is. :ROFLMAO:

Rick

I guess it all depends on how hard that test is. :ROFLMAO:

It can't be that hard with some of the mutant sign guys I have dealt with through the years... if they passed, I'm sure I can too.

signage

It can't be that hard with some of the mutant sign guys I have dealt with through the years... if they passed, I'm sure I can too.

You would probably pass easier if you take your side kick along with you while you take the test:rolleyes:
:Big Laugh

GG and your cheat sheet!

Rick

You would probably pass easier if you take your side kick along with you while you take the test:rolleyes:
:Big Laugh

GG and your cheat sheet!

There's an idea, I'll have her take the test for me... she better bring her hard hat...

GypsyGraphics

Oh, I just remembered what happens when you wear your hard hat in public...

:ROFLMAO:
i don't know why that keeps happening!!!
next time it does.... i'm gonna make a really mean face and point out the name on my hat... those dumb boys will be shaking in their boots!