• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to move letters apart when they are overlapping. Desperate!

Funky Monkee

I have been using a software called Lxi that looks just like Flexi. I've had no training or software support. I am trying to design a wall quote using the freehand drawing tool. The problem is some of the letters are overlapping and I can't figure out what tool to use to separate the letters. I'm sure this is something so simple, but it's driving me nuts!

Jackpine

Adjust the kerning

Adjust the kerning. That is the space between the letters. I don't use that program but you can search the help files.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tough one, huh ??

No training on your software and no tech support, to boot. Judging by your profile, sign making isn't your cup-a-tea. I don't think with some letters touching or bad kerning, it's going to make or break a quote. Just quote based on what you have and let it go at that. If you get the job, then we'll try to fix your software problem. :thumb:

J Hill Designs

Tough one, huh ??

No training on your software and no tech support, to boot. Judging by your profile, sign making isn't your cup-a-tea. I don't think with some letters touching or bad kerning, it's going to make or break a quote. Just quote based on what you have and let it go at that. If you get the job, then we'll try to fix your software problem. :thumb:

sounds to me like he's designing a wall quote - you know, a quote on a wall?

gnatt66

click the text a few times until you see the little dots appear below the letters..then slide them closer or apart as needed.

strypguy

Some fonts will have weird kerning. I sometimes add an extra space between each letter then weld and ungroup them, then adjust each letter spacing manually. John

He could be talking about script letters overlapping also, in which case he would be trying to break each letter into individual curves and then weld together. Hard to say without more specific details.

Pat Whatley

I'm explaining this really simply not to be an ***, just because you make it sound like you have no clue how to use the software so I'm trying to make it easy...

Take your text tool (the big T in the tool bar), click on your line of lettering. You see that blinky vertical line? That line shows you were you're adjusting the text. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move it between the letters that you need to add or subtract spacing from (that's called kerning). Hold down the CTRL button on the keyboard, click your left or right arrows to adjust the spacing. Clicking the UP/DOWN arrow keys will move lines of copy closer together.

dirt23

first problem I see is why are you using the freehand tool to make letters, if you need a specific font or look just check out dafont.com and download whatever you need then the lxi program will recognize it as text rather than freehand art. once it is text then you can double click or maybe triple click on the text and space as needed

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't get it. Why bother asking a question if you leave five minutes later and never come back?
Maybe he can't get back here, he may have turned off his computer before reviewing the lesson on starting it back up.......

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

I think the saying "ignorance is bliss" fits in with "you don't know how much you didn't know"...

...and then there's that moment when you suddenly KNOW how much :cover eyes: ....and you want to run and hide! :omg:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't get it. Why bother asking a question if you leave five minutes later and never come back?

First visit, not really in the sign business and is never gonna be a contributor....... just a taker. Be glad they came and left right away. :peace!:

Home/interior decorators don't remind me of someone needed in our village.

Suz

It takes a "Village" to raise a [h=5]Funky Monkee[/h]:Big Laugh

First visit, not really in the sign business and is never gonna be a contributor....... just a taker. Be glad they came and left right away. :peace!:

Home/interior decorators don't remind me of someone needed in our village.