• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to test Cast Vinyl

Cole Not Cold

I just bought what I was told was Cast vinyl off ebay at a fair price (not too high, not suspiciously low). However, it seems a lot like some of the calendered vinyl here in the shop. Is there a test I can do to see if it is indeed Cast?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I just bought what I was told was Cast vinyl off ebay at a fair price (not too high, not suspiciously low). However, it seems a lot like some of the calendered vinyl here in the shop. Is there a test I can do to see if it is indeed Cast?

If its cheaper then 0.66 sq.ft then its not CAST also you can tell by the stretch

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you have calipers you can compare the thickness. Calendared vinyl is generally double the thickness.

rparsons

I brush it against my cheek. I find that cast film creates less static electricity than Calendered.

SignManiac

Cut out a quarter sized circle and set it on top of a water filled glass. This only works if you use distilled water. If it floats, it's cast. If it sinks, it's calendered. If it changes color, you have something magical!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No box ?? No inner core ID ??

I'd say just use if for scrap work and not worry since ya got it so cheap.

gabagoo

The best test I can think of is try cutting it with cast settings...if it's calendered it no weed good