• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you make and install this projecting building sign?

gnubler

Bunch of images below. Working on a bid for this project and would like some suggestions on how you would make and install this sign. Two faces measuring 84x48" into existing framework projecting from the side of a building, with an awning below so boom lift is required for access. Was able to snag old Google street view shots of the old sign that used to be there so you can kinda see what they did. One of the faces is still there in the basement of the business, it was made of 3mm ACM and I can use it as a template if needed. What materials would you use to make this and what would be the easiest method of installation? We haven't been up there yet to measure the brackets and see if they're bolted in or welded. For reference the bottom of the frame is about 17 ft from the ground. Thanks in advance!

Building-shot.jpg Old-sign-02.jpg Old-sign-01.jpg Existing-frame.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can definitely see it's more than just a 3mm panel. Looks like a framework was used and maybe a 3mm attached on each side. Use a bucket on either side and one hold it in place, while the other one bolts it up there.

gnubler

Yes, there def was some sort of framing between the two panels, cut around the edges and painted black. Probably some "ribs" inside for wind load resistance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what a framework usually entails, Gussets, battens and the outer edging with some mechanism for hanging it, welded into it for strength. So what's your question if you knew all that ??.

rjssigns

Before I'd get too deep in the how to I would check two things:
Is the existing structure stable? Wind load in my area would be 840 pounds. But that's my area, check with the town engineer.
Are you able to replace according to existing ordinances? Sometimes when an old sign comes down it can't be replaced because regs changed.

gnubler

I have a call in to the city regarding permitting, the existing frame looks pretty old. Customer didn't request any lighting so I'm not bringing it into the bid.

CanuckSigns

If you don't have experience with this type of sign work, I would pass on the job, these types of signs have been banned from our area due to liability as it hangs over a sidewalk. you would need to ensure the brackets are sturdy enough to support the sign plus any wind load, do you know how to do that, or who to call to do that for you? If you change out the sign and it falls on someone, you will be the one named in the lawsuit.

gnubler

If you don't have experience with this type of sign work, I would pass on the job.
I'm tempted to based on everything you said. I've had a bad feeling about from the very start and there's probably a reason why it's remained unused for the past several years. No one wants to touch it...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, we've done lots of them like this. One thing we did and this was before engineers and crazy-a$$ed permitting. We'd put all-thread through the wall and flange it to the inside wall. One place said, but we have apartments up there. So ?? You want a dead body down here ?? Guy wires and all will help, but there's no sleeping like a baby without it going through the wall for peace of mind.

gnubler

That's what a framework usually entails, Gussets, battens and the outer edging with some mechanism for hanging it, welded into it for strength. So what's your question if you knew all that ??.
Just tryin' to up your post count. You're welcome, Guido.

CanuckSigns

I'm tempted to based on everything you said. I've had a bad feeling about from the very start and there's probably a reason why it's remained unused for the past several years. No one wants to touch it...
Listen to your gut, the few times I've ignored that feeling that something wasn't adding up I got burned.

rjssigns

Years ago I worked off and on with an old school sign guy. One thing he said sticks with me to this day and is the reason I no longer put signs on buildings, work on pylons, dig holes etc...
He said: "Once you pull the permit and install the sign you own it forever".
Translation; Your name is on the permit and that's all the lawyers need to know.

Something else I learned from a master electrician friend. He said: "When buying business insurance make sure it includes a legal defense fund. It costs a lot of money to maintain your innocence." Lots of folks out there trying to make a fast buck with stupid lawsuits. Make sure your butt is covered.