• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Scitex FB500

Ditchmiester

This printer has been out a few years does anyone know if there will be an updated model released in the next 6 months to a year? Or maybe I am completely wrong and the life cycle on UV printers is longer than I thought.

cdiesel

Who knows?

FWIW, we have an FB950 that's run hard for a little over two years. I'd expect that printer to run strong for at least another three years, and it's already paid for itself a hundred times over.

Desert_Signs

Who knows?

FWIW, we have an FB950 that's run hard for a little over two years. I'd expect that printer to run strong for at least another three years, and it's already paid for itself a hundred times over.

We had the FB910, ran it hard for 5 or 6 years before it became more expensive to maintain than to buy a new one.

Been running the FB500 for almost exactly one year. It's paid for itself over and over. It'll pay for itself again this month - gotta print 1000 24x36 sheets of aluminum.

I think after this run, we're going to upgrade to the FB700. if we had one now, we could have cut 1/3 off our printing time on this job.

Jack Knight1979

I need to figure out how to market my business better so I can afford a 950.
You guys with the big boy equipment are an inspiration to me.

FishnSigns

Our new FB700 will be delivered Monday, can't wait!

I asked the same question to HP and they said they didn't have plans to release a new printer any time soon. That said, they could release something next week. The FB700/500 technology is solid, so you should be fine for a number of years to come.

If you can stretch your budget, go for the 700 over the 500. The 700 has a "billboard" print mode that is great on cheap coro signs. It looks surprisingly good for printing at 861sqft/hr. The 500 doesn't have this print mode.

Ditchmiester

Sounds good. We just got a used ColorSpan 72UVR and are just starting to play around with it. With any luck we will be able to produce some sellable signage this summer and of we learn enough we will want to jump into a new UV printer this fall/winter. I really like the FB500 I don't know If we will have room for a 700 but will definitely look into it for the billboard mode.

HulkSmash

In my opinion. The CET is more for true rigid substrates. the HP is more for the versatility of having the capability to print large banners. Overall I think the CET puts out a much better quality product, that includes the build, and the output.

Ditchmiester

@coloradosigns which one would you suggest for printing multiple smaller sheets that are say 18x24 as compared to full 4x8 sheets?

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
The FB500/700 machines are great machines. I really enjoy installing and training on these machines. The accessories are cool having the ability to print white and then go back to 6 color after you complete all your white jobs and although they are a pain in the butt the roll to roll system is a cool option to have.

jikard

I think our FB700 is cursed. In less than 2yrs. we've replaced 3 IO Boards. & a whole new Ebox Assembly. But she is productive when running correctly. LOL

ForgeInc

We have 2 FB700s. We had some issues with reliability of our first machine, but have since gotten everything ironed out and for the most part things run smoothly. They aren't the fastest, but for the price point the quality is stellar and have done us great so far.

mharrison

Have been looking at the FB500 and FB700 for a while. My sign business is 5+ years old and we have two mutoh 64 roll printers. Im wanting to do more printing and less installs. What are the best options as far a finance or leasing? Can a smaller business gain the business to pay for this big of a machine by adding this service? Thanks for any input.

Fernando

HP Scitex FB500 waaste ink.

Hi there,

Is your HP FB500 wasting you too much ink? Whats the normal waste of your Printer? We are wasting like 4.5 litters of ink just in auto maintenance. My supplier keeps saying that this is normal. HELP!!!

We had the FB910, ran it hard for 5 or 6 years before it became more expensive to maintain than to buy a new one.

Been running the FB500 for almost exactly one year. It's paid for itself over and over. It'll pay for itself again this month - gotta print 1000 24x36 sheets of aluminum.

I think after this run, we're going to upgrade to the FB700. if we had one now, we could have cut 1/3 off our printing time on this job.

AdamWhatleyTech

Ink Peeling off

Good Morning All,

I have had an FB500 for about 8 months now. In that time, I have received a couple complaints from my customers (real estate agents) saying that the ink peels off when two signs are put back to back. What these guys are doing is getting their 4mil Coroplast signs printed double sided (For Sale on one side and Sold on the other). So, what they're doing when putting the signs in the frame they would put either For Sale or Sold on the outside while the inside part of the signs would be together. As far as my printing process goes, all I'm doing is cleaning the coroplast with Isopropyl Alcohol before printing. I let one side dry for at least half a day before printing the other side. Finally, I let both sides dry for at least a day after printing before they pick up the signs. Has anyone else experienced these types of issues? Is it something I might be doing on my end?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

FishnSigns

Hey Adam -

I can't say that I've experienced that problem with our FB700. The ink usually adheres very well to the coro and aluminum we print on. We buy our coro in skid quantities so we don't have to clean the sheets before we print on them. We also print side 2 immediately and package immediately. The only thing I can think of is maybe you are using a packaging grade coro instead of a digital grade coro. You need an acceptable dyne level for your ink to stick. Your supplier should be able to advise since everyone carries different lines of coro. We have had really good luck with Matra Plast. Good luck.