• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Z1 Work Station

rjssigns

Anybody see the new HP Z1 Work Stations? I am a Mac zombie and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Form factor of 27" iMac but with Xeon chipset. Should be a bone crusher not to mention it is COMPLETELY user serviceable. Everything is plug and play. Plus it opens like the hood on your car.
Apple has got their work cut out now. Wonder what their "bow-shot" will be for HP?

Letterbox Mike

I'd expect Apple to sue HP for infringement, that seems to be what they do...

But the Z1 looks promising honestly, I think it's about time someone on the Windows side brought out an iMac competitor, it's sorely needed. And this looks like it'll perform pretty well too, it seems like HP had designers/graphics in mind when building it.

rjssigns

I'm going to call the place I buy my Mac's as they also sell HP, and have them call when the Z1's arrive. My wife does not want to go Mac so I think a Z1 would be great for her.

How cool would it look to have one of those bad boys on a swivel mount attached to your printer. Kick butt RIP server anyone?:rock-n-roll:

Letterbox Mike

How cool would it look to have one of those bad boys on a swivel mount attached to your printer. Kick butt RIP server anyone?:rock-n-roll:

I thought the same thing, if it's powerful enough to serve as a RIP that would be great, we could save some valuable space in our printer room by mounting these to the wall above the printers. It would be perfect if they were touchscreens so you could eliminate the need for a keyboard and mouse as well...

rjssigns

Processor wise you can get them with multi-core Xeons so I wouldn't see an issue there. Put in a 6 core Xeon, 16gigs of 2400Mhz ram and just crush whatever you throw at it.
A touchscreen would be fantabulous! You stole my idea.LOL

choucove

I honestly have not been a fan of all-in-one form factor PCs because simply they are too proprietary and not user serviceable. While yes, the Z1 still has many proprietary parts like motherboard and power supply, adding in user serviceability and more "standard" hardware makes this thing an absolute win.

We are very excited to see the new HP Z1 workstations, not just because of the push towards a more business-class all-in-one, but to be pushing the envelope in performance and capabilities in an all-in-one form factor like this, and especially at a decent price once you consider that most 27" IPS displays alone are around $1,000!

I have not heard yet if the HP Z1 will support touch input. Even if it does, I do not imagine it will be highly accurate like a wacom tablet or anything, but more to the likes of the standard Touchsmart capabilities of previous HP all-in-one displays. After all, if it did have a highly accurate and pressure sensitive touch input like a cintiq or wacom tablet, then it would probably be much more than the suggested price!

artbot

that is the coolest. when my girls tell me they are bored and want to do a mini-vacation, i could pack this thing up and in seconds be back to work in a hotel room. i took my workstation to San Antonio last week to but could not get myself to unload the damn thing out of the car.

artbot

yup. ....it's a bit less exotic than that. i had a thermal expansion issue on a 20' piece (was laid up in 38 degrees and delivered at 40). so i had to reset the adhesive. did a little river walk action with the gf but i am comically slammed right now. (here's a pic of my smoking hot partner in sign crime).

:p'''

Attachments

• jen san antonio.jpg
    jen san antonio.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 96

dlndesign

About F*CKING TIME, I have been talking about having a computer one day, that you'd just get a new part and pop it in, and whala! I'm glad to see some progression in this area.

2972renfro

About F*CKING TIME, I have been talking about having a computer one day, that you'd just get a new part and pop it in, and whala! I'm glad to see some progression in this area.

Uh isn't that what a desktop is? Open it up, stick the part in, done.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
hard to tell but are the swappable parts proprietary? This does not appear to have a normal power supply and I cannot imagine you can just stick in any graphics card. My guess is hard drives are not an issue.