• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hydro dipping

signwizz

does anyone on here do this,looks awesome just wondering if there is money to be made at it and also what type of printer do you need looks like regular printers converted to different inks

thanks shane

Attachments

• dip.jpg
    dip.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 91
  • dip2.jpg
    dip2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 68

rjssigns

I let the experts serve my hydro-dipping needs. It sounds simple on the surface, but it isn't. Lots of steps involved. Base part has to be prepped and primed. The graphic sheet is then laid in a water tank(tanks are temp regulated). Graphic sheet is then sprayed with activator. Now the part can be dipped. After dipping parts need to be clearcoated.

There is a member here that will make hydro sheets. Just send him your file. AFAIK there is no way to do it with our printers.

There is supposedly material available in China that will run through a wide format printer, but I haven't found it yet.

Can you make money with it? Yup, but it's a lot of upfront money, steep learning curve and a ton of shop space. You'll also have to deal with air regs in your area as you'll be using automotive type bases and clears.

MikePro

hydrographics uses polyvinyl alcohol to transfer the ink layer, same stuff as listerine strips.

+1 to outsourcing your prints to someone else that already has the means. I have only dabbled in a few handguns, stock camo patterns ordered online.
having a 3D printer is actually pretty handy for this, as you can create custom mounts/handles to use for the dipping process (that can also double as stands/handles for clearcoating)

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Its a pain in the butt if you have never done it before and your very limited I think on the graphics being customizable. 3D sublimation is something everyone will be seeing a lot more of now that the equipment is starting to make a bigger impact in the US.

petepaz

I let the experts serve my hydro-dipping needs. It sounds simple on the surface, but it isn't. Lots of steps involved. Base part has to be prepped and primed. The graphic sheet is then laid in a water tank(tanks are temp regulated). Graphic sheet is then sprayed with activator. Now the part can be dipped. After dipping parts need to be clearcoated.

There is a member here that will make hydro sheets. Just send him your file. AFAIK there is no way to do it with our printers.

There is supposedly material available in China that will run through a wide format printer, but I haven't found it yet.

Can you make money with it? Yup, but it's a lot of upfront money, steep learning curve and a ton of shop space. You'll also have to deal with air regs in your area as you'll be using automotive type bases and clears.

+1
i had a friend of mine that did this and he stopped due to the cost. he really didn't have a market for it. i guess like anything else if you have the customers and they are will to pay you can make money. not a cheap or easy process

bigben

Its a pain in the butt if you have never done it before and your very limited I think on the graphics being customizable. 3D sublimation is something everyone will be seeing a lot more of now that the equipment is starting to make a bigger impact in the US.

Is there setup for bigger pieces than mug, plates and phone cases?

dale911

President
Is there setup for bigger pieces than mug, plates and phone cases?

There are a lot of larger setups available. Take a look on YouTube and you will see a lot of runs being coated. Looks like most people are using this technology for car customization. You can find the large dip tanks online with a quick search.

bigben

There are a lot of larger setups available. Take a look on YouTube and you will see a lot of runs being coated. Looks like most people are using this technology for car customization. You can find the large dip tanks online with a quick search.

I was asking for 3D sublimation like Josh mentioned.

dale911

President
I was asking for 3D sublimation like Josh mentioned.

Sorry, I missed the transition. I have not found anything larger. Theoretically, it is possible but it's done with heat and pressure. Some companies sell a "jacket" for mugs instead of using the vacuum. It is put on the item (cup, mug, plate, whatever) and is tightened down with a nut and bolt at the coupler. Then you put it in your home oven. If you could create a jacket and the. Add a polyester coating to the item you want to sublimate, it could be done in something like a powder coating oven or something but I think the cost would far exceed the value.