• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have Retired

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I retired in January 2022 after a 28-year career as a commercial architectural and electrical sign designer. In that space of time, I have worked for or freelanced for sign companies and sign shops nationwide. I have used a pseudonym here for many years as a member, but I am revealing name, appearing in the PDF file that I have attached.

As a gift to the entire sign industry, I have edited and maintained a Glossary of Sign Terms and Definitions, the main reason is that many synonyms (many words that have the same meaning) are used in the industry, as well as many acronyms and slang words.
This is an ongoing project that I am providing for free to the sign community as my legacy.

Attachments

• Glossary of Sign Terms and Definitions.pdf
    309.4 KB · Views: 404

Aardvark Printing

I retired in January 2022 after a 28-year career as a commercial architectural and electrical sign designer. In that space of time, I have worked for or freelanced for sign companies and sign shops nationwide. I have used a pseudonym here for many years as a member, but I am revealing name, appearing in the PDF file that I have attached.

As a gift to the entire sign industry, I have edited and maintained a Glossary of Sign Terms and Definitions, the main reason is that many synonyms (many words that have the same meaning) are used in the industry, as well as many acronyms and slang words.
This is an ongoing project that I am providing for free to the sign community as my legacy.
Thank you and enjoy your retirement!

Christian @ 2CT Media

I hope you enjoy your retirement and resist the urge to jump back into this field. It seems impossible to escape for many.

As a query, I was always told that RIP stood for Raster Image Processor, but it seems Routing Information Protocol fits also.

netsol

I hope you enjoy your retirement and resist the urge to jump back into this field. It seems impossible to escape for many.

oh, come on! it's not like the sign business is like the seventh circle of hell from dante's inferno (at least not EVERY DAY)

you make it sound like when tim robbins' character crawls through the sewer pipe and escapes from shawshank

the industry can always use knowledgeable people

Christian @ 2CT Media

oh, come on! it's not like the sign business is like the seventh circle of hell from dante's inferno (at least not EVERY DAY)

you make it sound like when tim robbins' character crawls through the sewer pipe and escapes from shawshank

the industry can always use knowledgeable people
I think, at times, it can be. I know many people who have retired and returned simply because it's what they know, and the industry draws them back... Most of them are still frustrated with the same things that led them to retire.

The industry has a stranglehold on many of us, but that is not to say it is always bad.

garyroy

Wow, that 31 page PDF is pretty impressive.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Enjoy your time off, but hang around here and throw some advice in when you can.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
That's cool! Thank you!
I retired in 2016, and here we are... Here's to hoping yours lasts longer:toasting:

gnubler

Whether a supplier, client or employee, every day someone uses terminology interchangeably, and often incorrectly. This can lead to huge errors. This will be helpful.
What bugs me the most is lack of consistency in measurements. I always write out dimensions as WIDTH x HEIGHT x DEPTH and I wish that was the general standard.

Johnny Best

And now being retired, more work in the rice field...

Attachments

• bigricefield.jpg
    bigricefield.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 95