• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need to vent #%#@$%^

gabagoo

Yes it's Monday, and I had this belief that I was going to come in today and have a real smooth day. I am not sure why I always seem happy when I come to work cause within minutes my days are usually thrown into complete chaos!!!!!.

at this point it is now close to 7 and my blood pressure is going through the roof.

OK here is the deal.

this clien t needs prototype labels to be printed on clear decals. White and black. Sounds simple, especially when you have an EDGE.

All I know is that I ask nicely to this client every EFIN ^%$%$ time to set the file up with NO stroke data as I have issues trying to figure them out in Omega. On top of that the file is well over 10,000 shapes which slows everything down to a crawl. Now you know he sent the file with stroke data at this point. All I know is that to do this decal I have to print with overprint on as the black layers surround the white both ways...some under it and some over it...this in itself is enough to drive me nuts.
As good as the Edge is for this type of project I just cant work the software smoothly. Just trying to preview the image is slow due to the size of this file

So I take the file and import it into Flexi, then I unmask it and send it to corel as an eps file where upon I open it and resend it out as an eps file so that Signlab 5 can open it. I do this as I am only really proficient in Signlab 5 to deal with this insane stroke data. Now well into an hour of fiddeling and swearing left and right that this guy is out to kill me via heart attack I have no run 2 tests an each time the black will not stay as a path over the white and prints like a splotch.

remember I am venting hereso take it for what it is.....major rant.

I now want to email this guy and tell him to find a guy with a inkjet that prints white and leave me alone to deal with what I had planned to do today....but I won't and will contiue to fight with this file until I figure out a way to print it.
thanks for listening

:bushmill::bushmill::bushmill::bushmill:burp

gabagoo

after all this fiddeling I just decided to print the black and let the white be knocked out. At this point I dont care and this is the absolute last time he is going to do this to me. Besides the writing is so small I cant even read it so he may just toss them all out in the end.
He knows he can go to another company that must have a white option on their inkjet but it costs a lot more than I am charging and I aint cheap!!!

gabagoo

someone has put a curse on me. It has to be... I swear that every step I have taken on this little nightmare has resulted in everything but a decent print.

I finally got it to print right and after all the wasted vinyl being thrown in the garbage I need to print just one more length about 60 inches. Wouldnt you know it.... I am short by about 4" and of course I did not realize it and wasted more time. OK so now I have to run out first thing and get me another roll of 15" clear perfed vinyl and have the rest of this %$%$% order done by noon.

Is it OK for me to hurl something across the floor and break it..really I am serious. I need to take my frustration out on something. How about throwing an empty cartridge of ink at the wall or a stapler....something must pay the price for this lol

I need a long vacation....real long I think

daveb

General Know-it-all
Ah Goo, I feel your pain. Up until about 4 years ago all I ever used was Omega. It has it's quirks but will do some things easily that other program have trouble with. What file format was the label given to you originally? There are some Omega experts here that might be able to give you pointers on how to convert it into usable artwork in Omega, maybe send the original to some of us so we can see what kind of junk you're dealing with. We used to get drawings out of Autocad from a manufacturer we did routing for that was a nightmare, 20 overlapping lines right on top of one another:banghead::banghead::banghead:. Anyway, by selecting a lot of segments and assigning a slight ouline Omega easily converts a lot of junk into something usable, if the lines too heavy you delete the junk and assign a slight inline. The trick to Omega is to always think in terms of a wireframe. Our designer still hasn't learned "Gerber think" after 10 years, he was trained in Corel and PS. I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I have no idea how proficient you are in Omega but like I said I'm sure there are people here that might be able to help simplify the process.:popcorn:

sjm

Yes it's Monday, and I had this belief that I was going to come in today and have a real smooth day. I am not sure why I always seem happy when I come to work cause within minutes my days are usually thrown into complete chaos!!!!!.

at this point it is now close to 7 and my blood pressure is going through the roof.

OK here is the deal.

this clien t needs prototype labels to be printed on clear decals. White and black. Sounds simple, especially when you have an EDGE.

All I know is that I ask nicely to this client every EFIN ^%$%$ time to set the file up with NO stroke data as I have issues trying to figure them out in Omega. On top of that the file is well over 10,000 shapes which slows everything down to a crawl. Now you know he sent the file with stroke data at this point. All I know is that to do this decal I have to print with overprint on as the black layers surround the white both ways...some under it and some over it...this in itself is enough to drive me nuts.
As good as the Edge is for this type of project I just cant work the software smoothly. Just trying to preview the image is slow due to the size of this file

So I take the file and import it into Flexi, then I unmask it and send it to corel as an eps file where upon I open it and resend it out as an eps file so that Signlab 5 can open it. I do this as I am only really proficient in Signlab 5 to deal with this insane stroke data. Now well into an hour of fiddeling and swearing left and right that this guy is out to kill me via heart attack I have no run 2 tests an each time the black will not stay as a path over the white and prints like a splotch.

remember I am venting hereso take it for what it is.....major rant.

I now want to email this guy and tell him to find a guy with a inkjet that prints white and leave me alone to deal with what I had planned to do today....but I won't and will contiue to fight with this file until I figure out a way to print it.
thanks for listening

:bushmill::bushmill::bushmill::bushmill:burp

PM me, we would be happy to print white for your client or take care of your client.

1leonchen

go home find your panther and vent out all you stress sexually. tomorrow is another day don't get gray hairs.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
go home find your panther and vent out all you stress sexually. tomorrow is another day don't get gray hairs.

"panther"? I don't know about up north but that is illegal in most states down here :omg:.....

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
"panther"? I don't know about up north but that is illegal in most states down here :omg:.....

wayne k
guam usa

Only on the second Tuesday of the month if the month starts with a 'K'.... or maybe ends with a 'K'. Nonetheless.... there's alwaya a way around it. :wink:

Salmoneye

Opportunity. "Hey, sorry I had to tack on another $100 to your bill but I did tell you that we couldn't readily process your file with outline data". Bet he remembers next time.

gabagoo

I think I almost suffered a stroke yesterday.
Today is a new day.

I love my Edge and I know the software is very versatile, but sometimes it can drive you crazy depending on what it is you need it to do. The unfortunate part for me is that even redraws on large files bring me back to the days of my old Gerber digitizer with its 5 minute redraws. Omega is not as bad but when you hit preview and the screen goes white for 15 seconds it kind of makes me think I amwasting time....On top of that I have never figured out how to cancel the redraw and get back to wire frame.

So anyhow this morning my first little project is 200 electrical labels for another sign shop. Simple file, Black printed on silver. I suppose I could have just done it on the Mimaki but this is the perfect little job for the Edge.

Convert the file, no stroke data and I senf the gad file across to the Omega computer. Open it and choose the colours and cut. Preview it and every other letter is missing in the preview. For the seasoned Edge users, this can only mean one thing... Duplicate letters on top of thereselves.
How this happens I am not sure. Is it the designer who did this? Is it the conversion? Seriously, almost every other number or letter had a duplicate over itself and in Omega they cancel each other out.

Shoulda printed it on the Mimaki.

Oh dear Sign Gods....Please dont punish me a second day.. I swear I will be good and overcharge everyone who walks in the door today!!!

This be your morning chuckle... maybe?

:corndog::corndog:

Tony Teveris

gabagoo, if and when you have time email me some of your problem files, both PLT from Omega and whatever format you imported/opened from to get it into Omega.

smdgrfx

Sounds like outlines. Happens to me sometimes. If I'm in Corel, I make sure I cancel all outlines or convert to curves.

gabagoo

I feel your pain...I actually just started adding an extra line on my quotes:
"All prices based on artwork being supplied to our specifications. Set up fees may apply if files are not supplied to our specifications."
I had to start adding that after a couple of PITA jobs where customers pissed me off. These are wholesale customers yet. Sure, they send my PDF's for digital or vector when required...THEN mention oh my customer wants this to match PMS 121 or whatever- we'll need you to supply test prints and samples.... F**K YOU!
Sorry to pirate your rant with another lol.... my week was exactly like yours.

As for strokes in Composer.... try Tools/Expand Strokes. Still a pain in a sense since you now have to delete all the original stroke shapes...but it does come in handy sometimes.

PS. Happy Friday:beer

i feel better now, I am not alone in my daily struggle.

so remember this guy wanted all this stuff for the next day by noon. That was Monday and I swear to God they are still on the counter downstairs today!!!!! I dont care now as they were paid for with Visa ef em all!!!

......and its friday and Sunday means G O L F!!!!!!!!!!
:bushmill::popcorn::beer:bushmill::beer:popcorn: