• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator vs. Gimp

visual800

I have a guy wanting to work for me and he designs with illustrator. I don't have Illustrator, I mostly use Flexi. I do have Gimp but have never tried it. I was told they were real similar. Would it be good to practice with Gimp until I could get Illustrator? Are they that similar? What is the minimum Illustrator I could use? I have Photoshop CS5 so I don't need some big packge.

if I were you I would cater to what he uses. Secondly is he any good? if you had to buy him an illy program I would get a used one off ebay just to be safe for now and get you by. The used ones work just as good as new and you can save a ton of money. the past few illys I have bought came off ebay, no suites, no cloud just the basic. I now have illy cs 5 (I think) next step is cloud and Im not doing that if I can help it.

WildWestDesigns

over the years i have had FULL, ACADEMIC, NFR, OEM installs on computers. WHAT I DO WITH THEM.........really has never been an issue with the manufacture of said program.
so those of you who are worried........weeeeelllll people like ya gota have somethin to worry about)))))

I think Vernor would disagree with you Joe (Vernor v. Autodesk Inc (2010)). Originally ruled in Vernor's favor, but overturned and the court went with Autodesk. Vernor was not the original buyer of the program, but he did buy it off a company who did legally purchase it and then attempted to resell it on ebay.

I firmly believe that one of the major aspects that sent Adobe to a subscription based system was for this very reason. If you have customers (and I would imagine not an insignificant number) that just buy used and stays behind a generation or two, that's money that Adobe never sees from Adobe users and they could have been doing that for years. Yes, I imagine that they do care about that depending on how big that number really is. Rather or not the C/B ratio makes it compelling for them to go after them for the questionable legality of it all is something else entirely. Subscription only could be their passive aggressive way of going after them.

Also, bare in mind too, that a lot of us use EULAs in our contracts as well. Particularly when it comes to what rights that customer have to the artwork that we create for them. If you believe that the EULA is not good in one instance, then how can it be any good in the other?

if they want me to know something put it in plain enlish in a big *** bold font on the package, who wastes time reading terms of service.

DaFont does that right next to the download button for a particular font and yet, people still have a hard time with it.

visual800

Also, bare in mind too, that a lot of us use EULAs in our contracts as well. Particularly when it comes to what rights that customer have to the artwork that we create for them. If you believe that the EULA is not good in one instance, then how can it be any good in the other?

heres my problem with EULA (as so was told by arrogant ***** at the Software Business Alliance, after they snatched my auction off ebay) You have to have the software installed or bundled on a computer to sell it. I asked him WTF does that matter? Of course I got no logical response, as expected they make all the rules and have no reasons for it. I would think art is a little different than software in this comparison sir.

I think Vernor would disagree with you Joe (Vernor v. Autodesk Inc (2010)). Originally ruled in Vernor's favor, but overturned and the court went with Autodesk. Vernor was not the original buyer of the program, but he did buy it off a company who did legally purchase it and then attempted to resell it on ebay

For something like this to go all the way to court is a waste of time and money, obviously Vernor didnt use his mouth to his advantage but instead chose to seek professional counseling. This is the same think that happened to me after my auction was snatched off. I called ebay and was led to the SBA and then confronted them, and confronted them and confronted more till I got some damn answers. Then relisted the item and it sold and then forwarded that to the ***** at SBA, of course nothing was done. If you are going to punish me have the decency to sit me down and tell me what I did and why I cant do that, dont read me a bunch of legal BS I cant understand and DO NOT ignore me

dirttoo

if I were you I would cater to what he uses. Secondly is he any good? if you had to buy him an illy program I would get a used one off ebay just to be safe for now and get you by. The used ones work just as good as new and you can save a ton of money. the past few illys I have bought came off ebay, no suites, no cloud just the basic. I now have illy cs 5 (I think) next step is cloud and Im not doing that if I can help it.

Well, Let me tell you about my new guy. I hired him on a Wednesday and he was to start the next Monday. He was going bring his Mac with Illustrator until I could get one for the shop. Monday came and went and he was no call/no show. Tuesday he did show with his computer. He said he was sick Monday. We talked about it and he agreed he should have called. He worked the rest of the week with no problems. Then on Monday he was a no call/no show again. I called him late Monday after seeing some unrelated posts he was making on Facebook. I got his answering machine and I told him to come get his stuff that things weren't going to work out. He came on Thursday and picked it up without saying much. He missed 2 out of his first 6 days. I don't need that.

WildWestDesigns

heres my problem with EULA (as so was told by arrogant ***** at the Software Business Alliance, after they snatched my auction off ebay) You have to have the software installed or bundled on a computer to sell it. I asked him WTF does that matter? Of course I got no logical response, as expected they make all the rules and have no reasons for it.

Actually isn't doesn't matter if it's installed or not in this case. The determining factor was rather or not the company that sold the software to Varnor had the ability to sell it to him and thus if he had any rights to dispose of it. He actually argued that he never installed it on his computer and thus wasn't bound by the EULA as that was for people that installed and used the software. Unfortunately for him, the people that first bought it did indeed install and use it, but did not have the right to sell it to him from the get go, so he had no legitimate claim.

EDIT To Add: I just re-read this. What they told you wasn't exactly kosher as well. They said it had to be bundled or already installed on a computer? That isn't right either. Most OEM sofware is only to be used with the computer (or device) that it came with. Now if you sell the computer (or device)with the software on it, that's different, but you can't piece meal and sell the software separate from the computer (or the device).

You can't actually do that with Adobe software installed on a computer either. You can,however, sell it to someone else if you go through the steps to transfer the license (you actually have to go and contact adobe to do this though, it's not just a simple transfer giving the item to a person) and it doesn't have to be bundled on a computer. I honestly think you got someone that just didn't know what they were talking about.

I would think art is a little different than software in this comparison sir.

No it isn't. It's all about property and permission. Who has it, who needs it, who can give it. These are the same in that regard.

For something like this to go all the way to court is a waste of time and money, obviously Vernor didnt use his mouth to his advantage but instead chose to seek professional counseling. This is the same think that happened to me after my auction was snatched off. I called ebay and was led to the SBA and then confronted them, and confronted them and confronted more till I got some damn answers. Then relisted the item and it sold and then forwarded that to the ***** at SBA, of course nothing was done. If you are going to punish me have the decency to sit me down and tell me what I did and why I cant do that, dont read me a bunch of legal BS I cant understand and DO NOT ignore me

Chances are you got someone that really doesn't know and doesn't know how to counter what you are saying.

Now one thing that you have to consider when you take the stance of anti legal BS. It's the same line of reasoning that those troublesome customers that we all know and love can use to their advantage.

WildWestDesigns

Well, Let me tell you about my new guy. I hired him on a Wednesday and he was to start the next Monday. He was going bring his Mac with Illustrator until I could get one for the shop. Monday came and went and he was no call/no show. Tuesday he did show with his computer. He said he was sick Monday. We talked about it and he agreed he should have called. He worked the rest of the week with no problems. Then on Monday he was a no call/no show again. I called him late Monday after seeing some unrelated posts he was making on Facebook. I got his answering machine and I told him to come get his stuff that things weren't going to work out. He came on Thursday and picked it up without saying much. He missed 2 out of his first 6 days. I don't need that.

Well at least you found out before investing in another software specifically for him. Did he want a mac computer to run it off of or just the Ai program?

dirttoo

Well at least you found out before investing in another software specifically for him. Did he want a mac computer to run it off of or just the Ai program?

Yes, He wanted a Mac and illustrator.
Yes, I'm glad I found out right away what kind of worker he was.

WildWestDesigns

Yes, He wanted a Mac and illustrator.
Yes, I'm glad I found out right away what kind of worker he was.

Oh boy. That would have been something if you had bought Ai and a Mac for him between the time you had hired him and he started work.

I can understand using software for an employee that is used to (or computer etc) from an efficiency stand point. But definitely make sure that there is a breaking in time frame as well to make sure that they are going to be worth it to have specific hardware/software just for them.

dirttoo

Oh boy. That would have been something if you had bought Ai and a Mac for him between the time you had hired him and he started work.

I can understand using software for an employee that is used to (or computer etc) from an efficiency stand point. But definitely make sure that there is a breaking in time frame as well to make sure that they are going to be worth it to have specific hardware/software just for them.

Yes, That is exactly why he was bringing his in for a while. Lucky thing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
heres my problem with EULA (as so was told by arrogant ***** at the Software Business Alliance, after they snatched my auction off ebay) You have to have the software installed or bundled on a computer to sell it. I asked him WTF does that matter? Of course I got no logical response, as expected they make all the rules and have no reasons for it. I would think art is a little different than software in this comparison sir...

While the publisher may be able to prevent you from reselling their product, there's no power on this planet that can prevent you from giving it away. So...your path should be obvious.

WildWestDesigns

While the publisher may be able to prevent you from reselling their product, there's no power on this planet that can prevent you from giving it away. So...your path should be obvious.

Well, they do try. Remember Napster? Some bit torrents sites are having to constantly change hosting locations as well.

I think even now with some of the stuff, internet providers (Bellsouth, Verizon) have an incentive to keep track of packet information that travels to and from your computer.

I guess it all depends on how you do it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Well, they do try. Remember Napster? Some bit torrents sites are having to constantly change hosting locations as well.

I think even now with some of the stuff, internet providers (Bellsouth, Verizon) have an incentive to keep track of packet information that travels to and from your computer.

I guess it all depends on how you do it.

Everything in life depends on how you do it.

There's a rather large difference betwixt giving away your personal property and running an exchange where you're facilitating giving away stuff to which you have no actual ownership.

WildWestDesigns

Everything in life depends on how you do it.

There's a rather large difference betwixt giving away your personal property and running an exchange where you're facilitating giving away stuff to which you have no actual ownership.

That is true. Unfortunately, software sales are not considered sales of property, but sales of licenses to use someone's property in a manner that they allowed. Hence, why the EULA is such an important aspect.

Bill Modzel

I'm stilll running MacImprint on an old G4 laptop. I was a beta tester for it back in the 80's. Much easier and intuitive than Omega ever was. Retired now but still doing the occasional job off Craig's List.