• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illy cs

skyhigh

I'm sure there is a way to accomplish this task, but the terminology for tasks in Illy differs from that of flexi (which I'm used to).

How do I put an "offset" cut line (or border if you will) around a graphic? I'm missing this somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

skyhigh

OK then... I did try the "offset path" feature, but unlike Flexi, where you can do a "Contour" of a multi layered graphic, Illy will give you an "offset path" of every element in that graphic.

The right picture is what I wanted... so mission accomplished. What I failed to realize, on my previous attempts (the left pic), was that I needed to "Ungroup" then apply an offset path to the outer-most portion of the graphic......is that correct, or is there more than one way to do this?

I THANK YOU !!!!!!

Attachments

• offset path.jpg
    offset path.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 108

iSign

sometimes there are multiple componants that fit inside one cutline, so I copy the whole design to the clipboard, then select all & change to black fill, black stroke, then object>path>outline stroke, then in the pathfinder dialog box, choose Unite to weld it all together. This creates a perimeter contour like you would have on your examples outer-most contour if the multiple elements overlap each othr. If they dont, at this point, I would convert the fill to none, & the stroke to black... then I would increase the stroke width, until the strokes of my non-overlapping contours are overlapping. I would make sure my stroke options are set to rounded corners, then I would repeate the object>path>outline stroke command and then convert the fill to none, & the stroke to black again. Then I "paste-in-front" the original artwork which should center it right where it was. If the cut line got too far from the art, I'd repeat the outline stroke process to create an inner contour thats the right distance from my art.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Doug that sounds like too much work.
:Cool 2:
Draw does it pretty much like Flexi
Select a bunch of (ungrouped) objects and click a single button in the boolean toolbar(options load as soon as you select more than one object).

It makes a single object around all of the selected objects (no inner islands).
The new object is now the current selection and you can add an offset (contour) to it with one more click.

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

it's more work to type it then do it...

That one task has always been the absolute weakest link in my favorite software for years now, but it still gets done in well under a minute.

Besides, he didn't ask how to do it in corel. Sporadic, less click, methods always make good ammo in all the age old software debates, but if Illy didn't have it's advantages too, it wouldn't have the market share it has.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
it's more work to type it then do it...

That one task has always been the absolute weakest link in my favorite software for years now, but it still gets done in well under a minute.

Besides, he didn't ask how to do it in corel. Sporadic, less click, methods always make good ammo in all the age old software debates, but if Illy didn't have it's advantages too, it wouldn't have the market share it has.

Fair point, that is why I addressed my reply to you.
As far as market share, Windows blows Mac's OS out of the water in market share 6 ways to Sunday, but I as a PC user can't honestly say that it is any better than OSX.
:smile:

take care

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

interesting comparison.
I don't pretend to know any stats on Corel's share of the market, and only meant to imply that creating an "offset cutline" represents such an infinitesimal fraction of the value of vector illustration software, so as to render the several seconds one might save as rather irrelevant in the grand scheme, unless it were indicative of overall superiority. I don't consider Corel inferior, or superior, in general.

skyhigh

I thank you all for the lesson. :thumb:

Illy is a super program...but this particular task is performed much easier in flexi. I love using both, unfortunately I'm not as proficient in Illy as I am Flexi....... but I'm working on it.

:thankyou: