• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing non-vector images to cut in Corel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilerb

Hi, I just got the Designtech 60. I've always used Photoshop for graphics in the past. I've learned how to take text in Corel, remove the fill, do a hair outline, horizontally flip it, and cut the image out (I'm making text tees.) I was wondering if someone could explain how to take a basic image, let's say a symbol or logo that is 1 color and is not vector based, and capture the outline of it so that I could cut that on my plotter? I guess I would be turning it into a vector based image? Not sure... But any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Select the bitmap and under the bitmaps dropdown go to mode/1-bit black and white. There will be a slider and a preview...adjust till it looks best and tell it OK. Then with bitmap still selected, go to bitmaps/trace bitmap. This will open Coreltrace. Your bitmap will be on the left screen with a blank screen on the right. Select trace by outline. Your new vector image will appear on the right screen. You can adjust the tracing accuracy and trace it as many times as you like till you get the best image. There are some other things you can do to fine-tune, but you'll just have to play with it to figure all that out. Then just X out of Coreltrace...it will ask if you want to save the changes...say yes. It will automatically place your vector image on top of the bitmap in CorelDraw. Movie it off the bitmap and clean up the image by double-clicking it to make nodes appear...then adjust or delete nodes as needed.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
On a bitmap there is no outline to capture. None, nada, zip, zero. Some talk about 'converting' a bitmmap to a vector object, that is mis-use of the language. There is no way to 'convert' a bitmap to a vector object as you might 'convert' a jpg to a tif file. The information needed to construct a definitive vector object does not exist in a bitmap.

Even if you were to draw a simple rectangle of 4 nodes and convert to a bitmap. Once converted there is no way to precisely reconstruct the original vector object from that bitmap. The information to do so simply does not exist. Any more than if you were given a number and told that two numbers were summed to produce that number could you determine just what those two nuymbers might have been. Not possible.

You must draw the bitmap. There is software, lots of it, that makes its best guess as to what reasonable vector object might be traced from a bitmap. You have it right there in Corel with the 'Trace Bitmap' function. But never forget that no matter how sophisticated the software and how satisfactory the result, it's still just a best guess. More often than not approaching always, you have to tidy up the results manually.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Kilerb,

I'm sure others may have already told you this, or at least wanted to do so. Basically it's like this. You're shooting yourself in the foot by not designing whatever graphics you can in vector form. It is counter-productive to make a logo in Photoshop or some other raster-based program, only to be faced with needing a vector-based version of it later.

Vector based graphics are extremely superior to anything raster based. Logos, text and other solid graphical line work always reproduce better when they come from vector-based elements.

It is far easier to a great extreme to take vector-based graphics and create bitmap versions rather than go the other direction. Bitmap to vector is always much more difficult and usually produces inferior results.

Photoshop is an awesome application, one no graphics person should be without. However, vector-based programs like CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator are also very essential. Learn what you can about CorelDRAW. It will certainly help improve the quality of your work.

Si Allen

You can take you raster (bitmap) image into Corel Trace, Adobe Streamline, or a few others, and convert it into vectors. A little bit of node editing may be necessary.

OR

Send it to Vector DR and have him convert it!

kilerb

Bobby H said:
Kilerb,

I'm sure others may have already told you this, or at least wanted to do so. Basically it's like this. You're shooting yourself in the foot by not designing whatever graphics you can in vector form. It is counter-productive to make a logo in Photoshop or some other raster-based program, only to be faced with needing a vector-based version of it later.

Vector based graphics are extremely superior to anything raster based. Logos, text and other solid graphical line work always reproduce better when they come from vector-based elements.

It is far easier to a great extreme to take vector-based graphics and create bitmap versions rather than go the other direction. Bitmap to vector is always much more difficult and usually produces inferior results.

Photoshop is an awesome application, one no graphics person should be without. However, vector-based programs like CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator are also very essential. Learn what you can about CorelDRAW. It will certainly help improve the quality of your work.

My situation is this... My plotter only works in corel draw and I'm really good on photoshop. I'm making some text and symbol images. Adobe has that cool shape maker (Card symbols, musical notes, crowns, etc...) And I'm using those in photoshop. My Designtech 60 can only cut from corel draw and I'd like to use my designs from photoshop because I am not capable of making those symbols in corel draw the way I can in photoshop. Know what I mean? Can Corel draw make those "premade" vector symbols? Or can I take the photoshop image and somehow get the outline around it in corel? I can use an image format that is not .bmp if that helps...

SignManiac

If you plan to do a lot of cut vinyl work it may be in your best interest to learn Corel draw or Illustrator so you can work with vector files. They will be cleaner and easier to manipulate.

kilerb

Oh, I didn't know that corel could read adobe illustrator files. Just open it in Corel and it will work?

Bigdawg

Just Me
kilerb said:
Oh, I didn't know that corel could read adobe illustrator files. Just open it in Corel and it will work?
Just save it as an Illustrator 7 eps format and any version of Corel above V8 should be able to read it. Every once in a while there are some quirks (like compound paths closing up) but if you look in wireframe view they will cut correctly.

SignManiac

You can't open a file in Coreldraw unless it was created in Corel. You have to (import) all other file options if you wish to see them in Corel.

kilerb

Thanks a lot... Would I be able to save a .psd file in Photoshop, then open it in Illustator, then save it as a .eps file, then open it in Corel? I tried it and there were a lot of questions when I opened it, finally giving an error, not sure if I answered them correctly. Thanks!

Cadmn

Killerb its been stated more than once, learn CorelDraw & yes there are sumbols in corel theyre under text>insert Character I think learn corel I use it almost exclusively. it will import most files & has almost all the normal things to produce anything if learned. OP is probably the guru on here hehas taught me some things & is very helpful.

kilerb

I know it's been stated more than once, but if there was a way to use photoshop I thought life would be a lot easier since I've been using it for ten years and would rather import to corel rather than learn it. Sorry for looking for more options.

Thanks for the symbol suggestion, but it's mostly basic ones like astericks and such. I need the male symbol, the female symbol and some others that photoshop has. Didn't want to try and draw them.

**EDIT** Actually I found them, but I don't know what I"m doing with them after playing with the drop down menus. I'll play with it and try to corel it up.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Kilberb said:
Can Corel draw make those "premade" vector symbols? Or can I take the photoshop image and somehow get the outline around it in corel?

Yes. In fact, the card and musical note symbols you're typing out as shape layers in Photoshop are likely symbol fonts. Any TTF, Type1 or OTF symbol font (as well as any glyph from any font) can be easily be typed in as a text item or dragged out onto the workspace as a symbol item in CorelDRAW. And the elements are retained as independent vector objects.

Although you may prefer to do design work within Photoshop, you will be doing customers a disservice by making their logos and such in bitmap form. I see a lot of those kinds of files brought in by customers all the time, and a good number of folks hired someone to create the artwork. Some of them get pretty ticked off when I tell them the artwork will have to be converted over into vector format at a rate of $60 per hour with a two hour minimum charge. If the person they hired to create the artwork had put it together in Illustrator or CorelDRAW they wouldn't have to pay anything extra for handling the file. It would go directly to the vinyl cutter or routing table.

kilerb

Bobby H said:
Yes. In fact, the card and musical note symbols you're typing out as shape layers in Photoshop are likely symbol fonts. Any TTF, Type1 or OTF symbol font (as well as any glyph from any font) can be easily be typed in as a text item or dragged out onto the workspace as a symbol item in CorelDRAW. And the elements are retained as independent vector objects.

Although you may prefer to do design work within Photoshop, you will be doing customers a disservice by making their logos and such in bitmap form. I see a lot of those kinds of files brought in by customers all the time, and a good number of folks hired someone to create the artwork. Some of them get pretty ticked off when I tell them the artwork will have to be converted over into vector format at a rate of $60 per hour with a two hour minimum charge. If the person they hired to create the artwork had put it together in Illustrator or CorelDRAW they wouldn't have to pay anything extra for handling the file. It would go directly to the vinyl cutter or routing table.

I hear ya... I know what I'm about to say may sound ridiculous, but a couple of things are coming to my mind. 1. The symbols are not as nice in corel draw for what i'm doing. The female symbol for instance... It's very thin, like sticks. In photshop it's nice and thick. 2. In photoshop, i believe the symbols are vector images... I just wish i could cut from there. 3. I just don't relate to this corel program because there are no layers. Usually I link layers together so they all move together after placing them. I'm sure there are ways to do it here too, it's just going to be a huge learning curve for me. I'm trying to figure it out... :)

iSign

go away & learn some basics on your own & then come back with intelligent questions.

If people don't go work in this industry for a while first, they have no business trying to compete with other professionals without so much as a clue what they are trying to do or how to do it.

You got loads of help from several seasoned professionals in an equipment purchase, didn't take the advice of the vast majority or experienced responses... & are back here wasting our time showing off how completely clueless you are about the absolute MOST basic knowledge of our craft.

You are simply too high maintenance to be worth helping in my opinion. You need to GO and learn stuff... not ASK it to all be given to you.

kilerb

Doug Allan said:
go away & learn some basics on your own & then come back with intelligent questions.

If people don't go work in this industry for a while first, they have no business trying to compete with other professionals without so much as a clue what they are trying to do or how to do it.

You got loads of help from several seasoned professionals in an equipment purchase, didn't take the advice of the vast majority or experienced responses... & are back here wasting our time showing off how completely clueless you are about the absolute MOST basic knowledge of our craft.

You are simply too high maintenance to be worth helping in my opinion. You need to GO and learn stuff... not ASK it to all be given to you.

Thanks Doug.. Actually if I may retort. I asked about the plotters and Howard, someone that works for Graphtech I believe said that the Designtech 60 was a great deal at $850 and it was in fact a Graphtech minus four features I would not need. I took his advice and bought it. I couldn't afford a suma or some of the other suggestions people made. That posting is what led me to make my decision, so I'm not sure how it was a waste of time. I DID TAKE THEIR ADVICE. Did you want me to take all of their advice and buy 5 different ones?

Now I'm realizing I don't know much about Corel and I'm asking questions. I honestly can't believe how rude you're being towards me. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but forum boards are FOR POSTING QUESTIONS as well as discussing things and giving advice... People of all levels are here. Why do you think it says preschooler next to my name? As you can see above, 5 or so other people have been very helpful rather than calling me clueless because I'm a photoshop person looking to convert images over from there. All you had to do was not read any further once you though I was clueless. Stop wasting your time with me and you're good.

Take my advice, just because you look like an arrogant, pompus trekie that doesn't get any, does not mean that you have to let society conform you and actually act that way towards people looking for help. I am looking at the Corel tutorials as well, but typing in "create vector male symbol" in the search function does not exactly pull up that info. I even did a broad search for symbols in corel draw on google and my question was just not answered. You're a jerk man.

iSign

yeah, I am a jerk. Howard told you a Graphtec will cut from Illustrator, & a designtec will not. Several other people encouraged you to get the real Mccoy, but you got the one that doesn't cut from illustrator, knowing that in advance... & then you're asking to cut from photoshop like you did 2 weeks ago... as if everything said in that time went in one ear & out the other.

When I'm not being a jerk to helpless people, I've given a good deal of my time helping people on this & other forums. I also come here and ask for help, as there are several folks far more advanced in this industry then myself.. but I don't fulfill all my hopes for learning more in this field from what I can ask for & be given in this forum... I try to stay educated on my own, & do proactive research, trial & error... then ask questions based on my findings. Not only will I end up with a more well rounded understanding of an issue based on my actual effort to study it, but I think the other busy professionals will have more respect for me or anyone with questions, if they get the sense that some homework is being done.

Google is a vast resource of all kinds of information, but if you want vector artwork, or symbol fonts, or clipart, or international pictograms... typing "create vector male symbol" into google is like dipping your guppie net in the ocean instead of the guppie tank. It's BASIC stuff dude. I'm sorry you don't know it. but it is, & you have a long way to go. i don't care how many people are willing to GIVE you their valuable time... it will never be enough!! YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THE WORK! Once others can see some progress, I'm sure the perception of you will improve & more help will be available, till then, feel free to focus on the perception of me instead.

kilerb

Doug Allan said:
yeah, I am a jerk. Howard told you a Graphtec will cut from Illustrator, & a designtec will not. Several other people encouraged you to get the real Mccoy, but you got the one that doesn't cut from illustrator, knowing that in advance... & then you're asking to cut from photoshop like you did 2 weeks ago... as if everything said in that time went in one ear & out the other.

When I'm not being a jerk to helpless people, I've given a good deal of my time helping people on this & other forums. I also come here and ask for help, as there are several folks far more advanced in this industry then myself.. but I don't fulfill all my hopes for learning more in this field from what I can ask for & be given in this forum... I try to stay educated on my own, & do proactive research, trial & error... then ask questions based on my findings. Not only will I end up with a more well rounded understanding of an issue based on my actual effort to study it, but I think the other busy professionals will have more respect for me or anyone with questions, if they get the sense that some homework is being done.

Google is a vast resource of all kinds of information, but if you want vector artwork, or symbol fonts, or clipart, or international pictograms... typing "create vector male symbol" into google is like dipping your guppie net in the ocean instead of the guppie tank. It's BASIC stuff dude. I'm sorry you don't know it. but it is, & you have a long way to go. i don't care how many people are willing to GIVE you their valuable time... it will never be enough!! YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THE WORK! Once others can see some progress, I'm sure the perception of you will improve & more help will be available, till then, feel free to focus on the perception of me instead.

Doug, I didn't just come out and ask like an idiot if photoshop could cut to it. I said "I was told it could not, but is there a fix or a patch that maybe someone knows of?" Is that a crime? Is that worth calling me names? Look, you've basically just totally discouraged me from asking anymore questions... I'm afraid a jerk like you is going to attack me for asking things that he thinks are so obvious. So, I'll stop now. Do the professionals ever attack you? Do you know that I wasn't trying to research prior? Like I said, I was....

If you think that's being helpful, all the power to you. Even if you wanted to express those thoughts that you did to me, there are nicer ways of doing it. Not using words like clueless and trying to belittle people that are looking for help. Sorry, if I'm the one that really deserved this, than I apologize. I do think that if you review our thread here though, you'll see you were quite aggressive and mean about with your dialogue towards me.

Techman

Sorry for looking for more options.
No,, its not looking for options, Your asking for a shortcut. Thats lazy factor # 3 in the lazy factors book. The rule also says,, There ain't any good shorcuts..

My fellow apprentice..
Your questions are not the problem.. your responses are the problem. You get advice then you give back a load of whatever saying how it will not work for you. Thats the point.. It seems its all about you. Its easy to help out a fellow when we see they are sinking and equally easy to dismiss you when you have an answer to why you cannot be saved.

You learned a hard lesson. Many including myself said to get a good name brand machine. Instead you got a cheap machine that now severly limits you according to your responses. All that money you saved is gone because now you must compensate. Your saved money is now costing you lots more in limitations. The regret realizing you took a beating from true costs live long after the thrill of a bargain...

And, for the record. Its experiences like yours is exactly why I post, rant and rave against anyone buying a cheap of name cutter. The boards are full of people braggin about how great the cheap deal cutter they got only later post a cry of whoa over some problem it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.