• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In Search of the Perfect Italian Meatball

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A couple of days ago, I decided to make some Italian meatballs and freeze them for subs and other future uses. So I researched some recipes and finally settled on the one listed below. Not shown in the recipe are some procedures, such as the cooking method and unusual ingredient substitutions since they varied quite a bit among the half dozen recipes I felt sounded the best. They were, frying of the meatballs in olive oil for about four minutes followed by baking them for 25 minutes at 350°. Also the mixing in of Marinara sauce with the meat in place of milk or water.

Here's the recipe ingredients used:

Italian Meatballs

1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground veal
1/2 pound ground pork
1 1/2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
2 teaspoons of dried parsley
3 tablespoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 eggs
1 cup Marinara sauce
1/2 cup warm water

The results I came out with were just okay. My purpose here is to get input on how to improve the recipe and the procedures.

For openers, I think I should change the following:

1. Don't mix Marinara sauce in with the meat. It competes unfavorably with the rest of the ingredients. Leave it for adding later as a sauce.
  2. Don't mix Romano cheese in with the meat. It tends to melt to the surface when cooked and burns. Sprinkle it to taste on the finished product when served.
  3. Don't fry the meatballs before baking.
  4. Skip using veal as an ingredient. At $16 a pound, it is too expensive and difficult to impossible to even know it was one of the ingredients.
So tell me where I'm wrong or right and join me in my quest for the perfect Italian meatball.

AUTO-FX

I dont use veal or pork. 90% lean ground beef only. I also never measure anything.I dont use marinara, but everything else on your list is identical to mine. I too, would like to know how to make a better meatball, because I always think mine are only "OK".
Damn, Fred, now I'm hungry!!!

GypsyGraphics

I don't make Italian meatballs, but make a hearty little meatball in a tomato based sauce that my family loves, if your interested.

It's my mom's recipe, if i want to make sure all my boys are home for dinner, all i have to do is tell them i'm making nana's porcupine meatballs.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't make Italian meatballs, but make a hearty little meatball in a tomato based sauce that my family loves, if your interested.

It's my mom's recipe, if i want to make sure all my boys are home for dinner, all i have to do is tell them i'm making nana's porcupine meatballs.

guido.gif
Since you offered. Yes, please.

CheapVehicleWrap

I Sir at times am an Italian Meatball; and a professional one at that. It is with great displeasure to see you're trying to make your own meatballs and cut out the local meatball guy. Nowadays everyone with two hands thinks they can just roll up a meatball! Just hit the ROLL button some would say. It takes generations, grandmother's and such to create perfect balls. Your post suggests you know this to be factual, yet you continue to roll your own. Whats next, the CriRoll? Now with all these chefs in the kitchen, my Microwave Meatballs don't stand much of a future now do they?

But, my Mom did make great Italian Meatballs and you're making me hungry too!

GypsyGraphics

I'd sure love to hear if you actually make these.
You'll need a pressure cooker though. You should try cooking your Italian meatball in one too.

Porcupine Meatballs

1.75 lbs. ground porcupine
1.5 cups uncooked white long grain rice (i only buy Mahatma)
.5 tsp. salt
.5 tsp. pepper (heaping)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 can beef consume'
1 can tomato paste
2 cups water

Mix meat, rice, salt, pepper and onion and shape into 1.5" balls.
In a pressure cooker, warm consume', paste and water. (don't heat too long before dropping in the meatballs, you don't want to lose any of the liquid).

Heat on medium high till regulator starts to shake, then lower heat as low much as you can without slowing the regulator. Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat, allow pressure to drop of it's own accord.

Last edited by a moderator:

GypsyGraphics

i sir at times am an italian meatball; and a professional one at that. It is with great displeasure to see you're trying to make your own meatballs and cut out the local meatball guy. Nowadays everyone with two hands thinks they can just roll up a meatball! Just hit the roll button some would say. It takes generations, grandmother's and such to create perfect balls. Your post suggests you know this to be factual, yet you continue to roll your own. Whats next, the criroll? Now with all these chefs in the kitchen, my microwave meatballs don't stand much of a future now do they?

But, my mom did make great italian meatballs ans you're making me hungry too!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I Sir at times am an Italian Meatball; and a professional one at that. It is with great displeasure to see you're trying to make your own meatballs and cut out the local meatball guy. Nowadays everyone with two hands thinks they can just roll up a meatball! Just hit the ROLL button some would say. It takes generations, grandmother's and such to create perfect balls. Your post suggests you know this to be factual, yet you continue to roll your own. Whats next, the CriRoll? Now with all these chefs in the kitchen, my Microwave Meatballs don't stand much of a future now do they?

But, my Mom did make great Italian Meatballs ans you're making me hungry too!

sissy.gif
But the local meatball guy is gouging everyone with his sky high prices and he takes too long to serve them. The meatballs at Walmart are manufactured in China and contain far too much lead for my taste. I tried the Easy Meatballs from Staples and wasn't at all pleased. And besides, this is just a hobby unless people decide they like them enough to buy them, in which case, I'm sure I can make them for a lot less than anyone else.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
GG, there's no Porcupine in your ingredients.?.?

You're mistaken.... that's mushputz with porcupine and Opossum for main ingredients…. along with assorted mouse droppings and belly~button lint. Add a little pepper and you're in Heaven.... literally.

gabagoo

My wife makes 50% beef and 50% veal and similar ingredeints. What she does is she cooks them in the actual marinara sauce that she makes from scratch and they are to die for.

royster13

I got me one of those Chinese meat ball makers and I can sell cheaper than anyone even if they are not very good!....lol...

jiarby

I do:
2 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck...
1 lb of 93% ground sirloin
1/2lb of ground sweet italian sausage
1/2 lb plain ground pork.

If I was not so cheap I would subsititute soem veal in with the beef. It adds tenderness.

Then I mix in breadcrumbs, seasonings (onion, garlic, salt, white pepper, oregano, basil, black pepper), egg, & grated cheese (parm, asiago, etc..)

I use a lunch lady scooper to make 1.5oz balls. We freeze the balls and then plop them whenever we feel like making meatball subs or spaghetti.

I cook them in homemade marinara sauce....
garlic, olive oil, trader joes plum tomatos (I hand crush them first), basil. Then we plop in as many frozen meatballs as we want and simmer on low for as long as we can stand it. Usually 2-3 hours to really get the meatballs good & tender. Stir carefully so you do not break them up.. watch the sauce thickness, add water as needed. We season the sauce at the end if needed... the meatballs really change the sauce flavor, so seasoning at the beginning is a waste.

We usually also form them into a couple burger patties for marinara meatball burgers... topped with sharp provolone...

Attachments

• meatballmix.jpg
    meatballmix.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 109
  • meatballburger.jpg
    meatballburger.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 105

GypsyGraphics

Looks yummy jiarby! (how do you pronounce jiarby anyway?)

i gotta ask... how is it you just happened to have pics at the ready?
sure wish i had that sandwich right about now!:loveya:

Big House Signs

I think I make pretty good meatballs...but no real recipe...all from memory of Mama Casagrande and by eye.
I use the meatloaf mix...it has the pork veal and beef in it. 1 pkg is usally 1.5lbs.
Mix all together
meat loaf mix
handfull italian breadcrums
several hard shakes of italian seasoning
several hard shakes of basil
half a plastic container of the italian cheese mix...romano/parmesian
2 eggs.
I uses one of those big cookie scoopers, like an ice cream scooper but smaller. Insures all the balls are the same size. You can get 24-36 balls out of this
coat a a cookie sheet with olive oil.
bake at 350 for 20-30.
They are always a hit at my gatherings!