• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In your opinion, what's the most important aspect of good on-premise signage?

Lind SignSpring

• Is it the artwork/design?

• Is it placement?

• How about having a professional look?

• Creativity of placement mixed with design?
What are your thoughts?

• What is the least important aspect?

Thanks for the feedback!
:U Rock:

signguypgh

With signs there is always a goal. Sometimes the client knows it, sometimes they need help figuring it out.

The job of the designer is to make sure all aspects of design (placement, colors, sizing, layout, ect) push the interaction with the reader towards the goal.

Giant digital image of delicious sandwich in window = 2% more sandwich sales.
Insurance agent sign mounted to pilars of stone = we are a solid fixed company you can trust and we are right here by the way.
No Parking = don't park here or we will tow your crappy car

Poor sizing, color selection, layout, concept, ect. are all things that can decrease the chances the goal will be reached.

At the end of the day the client is buying a thing that hopefully will communicate a message to other humans out there in the world, and hopefully the goal. Can't forget how basic it is.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

• Is it the artwork/design? 10%

• Is it placement? 10%

• How about having a professional look? 5%

• Creativity of placement mixed with design? 2%
What are your thoughts?

• What is the least important aspect? Media

Thanks for the feedback!

Cost seems to be the major driving interest, these days.

visual800

for me, I try and match the building, good clean simple logo that is eye catching and gets the point across

however, lately, its price that matters

Marlene

• Is it the artwork/design?

• Is it placement?

• How about having a professional look?

• Creativity of placement mixed with design?
What are your thoughts?

• What is the least important aspect?

Thanks for the feedback!

not sure what it is that you are asking. "creativity of placement mixed with design" are you asking about where the sign is installed and and the design of the sign? "How about having a professional look?" well, of course. who on earth in the busines would say looking like it was made by a 10 year old with a crayon is OK. what makes a good on premise sign is it working to do the job it was intended to do.

rossmosh

Signs should try their best to cover the who, what, where, when and why. Obviously all of these won't be applicable in every circumstance but if you're a business and have a sign saying "Blank Industries" and absolutely nothing else, even if it looks fantastic, I'd consider it a failure because anyone driving by doesn't have a clue what "Blank Industries" is.

Lind SignSpring

not sure what it is that you are asking. "creativity of placement mixed with design" are you asking about where the sign is installed and and the design of the sign? "How about having a professional look?" well, of course. who on earth in the busines would say looking like it was made by a 10 year old with a crayon is OK. what makes a good on premise sign is it working to do the job it was intended to do.

What I meant was having a square sign v.s. a modern/uniquely shaped design.