• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation question about drilling into brick

jesseeee

I hope this is the right forum for this. I needed some advice on fastening an iron base pole into a brick walkway.

The iron pole is about an inch and diameter, 3 feet long, and is welded to a 1.5' by 1.5' square base. The base has a hole in each of the four corners. I have a hammer drill to drill holes into the brick, my main concern is actually fixing it to the brick walkway. Is there a certain type of anchor/nut/bolt set up i should use? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I tried to attach a photo of the brick im referring to, hopefully it shows up.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 118

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're probably going to bust that brick... or bricks by drilling that many holes in them and there won't be any support to keep your post up if someone as much as touches it. Those things are usually handled by removing the brick, digging a hole a foot or so deep and pouring cement in there, anchoring the bracket down good & secure and cutting the bricks in around the pole.

webguru

Core drill a 3" hole through the brick and base the brick is laid up on. Set your pole at least 2' deep, pour ready mix around the pole.

John L

Most walkways are loose-laid pavers over a compacted sand or rock dust base. You cannot attach anything to them. You will probably have to do it the way Gino says, and you may need to open a much wider area than you plan to in order to pour enough of a concrete or rockite base to hold things up.

UFB Fabrication

Core drill a 3" hole through the brick and base the brick is laid up on. Set your pole at least 2' deep, pour ready mix around the pole.

Check with someone and find out what you local area frost line is. If its above that the freeze and thaw cycle will eventually knock out of level.

CentralSigns

Does it really matter the bricks need redone every 5 yrs anyways. I would pour a concrete base 6 in under the brick. Then once set, cut a knotch out of the bricks you wantaround your pole. Dont worry about bricks they settle and shift in the frost anyways.

Keith Rae

It looks like a city sidewalk I have seen them with a pored concrete bass with the bricks layed on top. lift out a brick and look first. if only sand Gino is right If theirs a concrete slab anchor the post to the slab and add a little sand to even out the bricks going over the plate. good luck

Sign Prophet

Saw cut an area to dig a footing, Set J-bolts, Pour cement, Set pole over j-bolts, attach washers and nuts. You could use Chem anchors but if it is just brick over sand or base it will NOT stay very long.

Hilti is a good place to look for chem anchors

artbot

use a base that isn't predrilled. when you arrive a the site, set your holes so that they drill between the cracks of the brick. anchor with a lead expander. and go as deep as possible. when you set the base put a blob of industrial epoxy or something beneath in an attempt to fuse all the bricks together as one.

that's what i would do. not that i've done it before. but avoid drilling through the brick if possible. it will split over time.