• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing a new dx4 head

FLAGLOFT

I am having a problem getting the numbers entered in to my printer for my new print head. The old ones i took out have a shorter serial number to enter than the new ones i just ordered and my printer does not give me enough number spaces to enter it in. Is there a trick to reading some of these serial numbers on these dx4 heads or did i get sent the wrong heads.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You got "just a DX4" head, not a Mimaki OEM DX4 head. Just have to leave the existing head rank and it should be fine. Of course you can get an original OEM Mimaki DX4 head as well which will have a head rank that your machine will accept. That comes at a price though, about 3 to 4 times the cost of a generic DX4 head.

FLAGLOFT

Sweet, i was hoping that i could just leave off the remaining rankings. Thank you, i will give it a shot

FLAGLOFT

Well, got the new heads in and used the rankings on them and just left off the rest of the ranking on the end and they seem to be working great so far.

Vinylman

Be very careful here!!!

You got "just a DX4" head, not a Mimaki OEM DX4 head. Just have to leave the existing head rank and it should be fine. Of course you can get an original OEM Mimaki DX4 head as well which will have a head rank that your machine will accept. That comes at a price though, about 3 to 4 times the cost of a generic DX4 head.

You either don't read carefully the instructions given, OR you are a very adventurous soul.
"Sightline" was telling you to just install the new heads, and don't enter any changes in the head rank numbers. That way you trick the printer into thinking it still is using the old heads, and it gives the heads the correct voltages.

With what you indicate you have done, there MAY BE problems down the road. If not, then good for you. If you have head problems in the near future you may look back on this thread and wish you had followed "Sightlines" instructions to the letter.

I hope I am wrong, but time will certainly tell.

MikePro

running a printhead with the wrong id# will work, for an undetermined amount of time.
its like using mid-level fuel in your lamborghini, rather than the premium.

fires-up, and gets you goin'.... but it wasn't designed to work that way, and very well could fry it down the line.

artbot

i got a batch of dx4 heads that had and epson # on a sticker, under that sticker a roland #, and then under that sticker a mimaki# on the last sticker. they were stacked perfectly looking like one single sticker (also shows there's no such thing as an OEM head). check to see if you are lucky and have a stack of stickers.

FLAGLOFT

you either don't read carefully the instructions given, or you are a very adventurous soul.
"sightline" was telling you to just install the new heads, and don't enter any changes in the head rank numbers. That way you trick the printer into thinking it still is using the old heads, and it gives the heads the correct voltages.

With what you indicate you have done, there may be problems down the road. If not, then good for you. If you have head problems in the near future you may look back on this thread and wish you had followed "sightlines" instructions to the letter.

I hope i am wrong, but time will certainly tell.
i do see what sightline was saying now. When i took out the exsisting black print head it was a head with an extra long ranking number on it too, and it was entered in the machine with the rest of the ranking left off so leaving it would have put me in the same boat that i would be in putting in the new ranking. The black head has worked for a long time in this machine that way so hopefully it continues to do the same. I will keep posted on this if anything goes wrong.

FLAGLOFT

i got a batch of dx4 heads that had and epson # on a sticker, under that sticker a roland #, and then under that sticker a mimaki# on the last sticker. They were stacked perfectly looking like one single sticker (also shows there's no such thing as an oem head). Check to see if you are lucky and have a stack of stickers.

well shoot, you are right, there is a stack of stickers on these heads. I would have never found that, thank you. BUT WHEN I READ THE NUMBERS ON THE OTHER STICKERS IT IS JUST THE RANKINGS LEFT OFF THE END OF THE OTHER STICKER, SO I GUESS LEAVING OFF THE REST SHOULD BE CORRECT IN INSTALLING THESE HEADS.

MikePro

well shoot, you are right, there is a stack of stickers on these heads.
o wow, really? wouldn't be surprised if they all just come out of production that way and whomever is selling them just simply peels-off the stickers before shipping. well, in this case, they forgot to.