• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing alumalite 14' high using 6x6 posts?

klemgraphics

I have a customer who thinks it is possible without problems to install a 4x8 sign using 2 6x6 posts....12' to the bottom of the face making it 16' to the top. To make it even better he wants it installed within a week or so...AND you CANNOT get to the site right now with anything that can't be carried by hand(crops are blocking access).

My first thought is that we need to use steel and not treated wood. Secondly I think it would be a much better plan to wait until after harvest so at least you could get to the site with some equipment.

Just wanting to get some other opinions before I call him and break the bad news.

CS-SignSupply-TT

HHHMMM!!! so the posts are going to be 20ft in length, sunk 4ft in the ground? Sakrete around the base of the posts? How about a Mule and wagon to bring the supplies in? What a task!

klemgraphics

HHHMMM!!! so the posts are going to be 20ft in length, sunk 4ft in the ground? Sakrete around the base of the posts? How about a Mule and wagon to bring the supplies in? What a task!
20ft is correct, and I can get within about 40-50ft of the location pulling off the side of the highway...then there is a ditch to go through(not extremely steep)...then state fence to go over. Sounds fun huh? I will gladly hire this out to anyone interested!

klemgraphics

Sorry Mike not a realtor, and the field only has a fence around 2 sides of it...of course the sides I need to have access to...the rest is planted in corn all the way to the fence, the farmer has no need to get in there until harvest this fall. With the price of corn the way it is(waiting for Mosh to chime in) I think he would want a pretty penny to make a path through it.

Best solution I have come up with so far is to put up something lower for the time being, then once the corn is out go back to install the permanent sign.

Williams Signs

It is possible. I installed a signs that was 5 by 10 on two 6X6's that was 16 feet tall. Customer already had 6x6 's in the ground and wanted it taller. I notched the original poles about 8 inches down and notched the new posts and bolted the two together. I then put a 5 by 10 panel on each side. the posts were 8 feet apart.

Letterbox Mike

It's possible. Getting to the site is another story altogether, but physically, the installation is possible. Don't just sink 2 20 footers and think they're going to stand up though, this will need some fairly substantial bracing from all 4 sides to remain vertical. You'll need to set your main 6x6s but also probably 6 4x4s around it so you can anchor some 2x4 knee braces to them. Totally doable though, just going to require a lot of holes, a lot of concrete, a lot of lumber, and about 4 people to help carry the beams over.

Craig Sjoquist

I would BRACE this height if only going 4 ft in ground... this is NOT rock hard ground, cement is not going to help.... small pebble rock packed in for water draining is best, ( water can wash it out)

7 ft in ground is needed to go 20 ft up 1/3 in for soft 1/4 hard .... so BRACE

If not 10 mil Alumalite frame if high wind area frame anyway,.. Running a circle saw for 2 groves in a 2x4s is quick and saves ya going back out.

Plan everything out, pre assemble most, plan for and make adjustments in field. myself would not put in ground or (if so just to keep sign and bracing from sliding). would put on skid, brace sign up from skid.

klemgraphics

I'm now considering telling them I can put up the sign if they can get the poles in. Almost thinking about suggesting utility poles installed by an electric co. instead as they would probably be stronger right?

Exactly Jhill, if I had easy access to the site I would have no problems, but if that were the case he would probably install it himself.

Maybe I can talk him into some banners for the time being to get by until access isn't as much of an issue.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Letterbox Mike

If you can hire an electrical contractor to go out there and set two utility poles, that would be ideal. If of course you can actually get an auger truck out there...