• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Introducing my scissors sharpening service. Special offer 10/21 thru 10/27/2020

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Being a Merchant Member, this is my special offer.

Scissor sharpening service.

I have lots of experience sharpening scissors. It just so happens that I really enjoy doing sharpening work. Now, for the first time, I am offering a scissors sharpening service here on Signs101.

Introductory offer. United States only.

Your first service, for one scissors sharpening, no charge. You only pay the shipping cost to me. I pay the shipping cost back to you. (I use USPS Second Day Air)

First scissor free. After that, name your own price. If I accept it, you have a deal.

This introductory pricing plan expires at 11:59 pm, Pacific Time, October 27, 2020.

Always contact me first before starting any scissors sharpening project. We will agree on the details. I will email you a written proposal.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a great idea. We must have 20 pairs of scissors and I don't think we've ever sharpened any of them. Some are over 40 years old. Is there a particular type you can or cannot sharpen ??

My neighbor sharpens mower blades. He charges $5 bucks a blade. Mine are always free.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Sounds like a great idea. We must have 20 pairs of scissors and I don't think we've ever sharpened any of them. Some are over 40 years old. Is there a particular type you can or cannot sharpen ??

My neighbor sharpens mower blades. He charges $5 bucks a blade. Mine are always free.
Gino Thank you for your reply. I can sharpen what are called straight edge scissors, which covers most of your everyday scissors.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
we had a service that did that many years ago
what about the blade from an 18" planer?

a business partner from 1982 was great at those things. i suck at it
when it is sharpening time, i wish i had kept him as a partner

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
we had a service that did that many years ago
what about the blade from an 18" planer?

a business partner from 1982 was great at those things. i suck at it
when it is sharpening time, i wish i had kept him as a partner
netsol On the 18" planer, I have never done one but am willing to explore the idea.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Just a suggestion here. You would be better suited to answer the questions in public in case anyone else may have the same question. Something along the lines of, yes I can do that, send me a PM with specifics.

gabagoo

Just curious. What do you do with scissors? I use olfa knives for everything and the odd exacto...... Am I missing something?

Notarealsignguy

Just curious. What do you do with scissors? I use olfa knives for everything and the odd exacto...... Am I missing something?
We use scissors to cut fiberglass mat. I'd venture to say that the dye sub crowd uses them to cut fabric. You can also use them for arts and crafts. If you want to leave work early, you can run with them too. They are a very versatile tool to have. I keep a pair at my desk for cutting shipping labels for small boxes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That makes it hard to listen, doesn't it ?? Hmmmm, me thinkst Robert might not like that according to previous threads.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is my favorite scissor. Her name is Sparkles. She went missing once and I panicked, thankfully I found her in my van!

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPEG
    IMG_1232.JPEG
    970.6 KB · Views: 211

Mike Drysdale

To answer your questions about being "real"; Yes it is Robert and I are both in San Jose and he sharpened my scissors yesterday. He always does a great job and you can definitely tell the difference. We do a lot of cutting down printed vinyl sheets and separating decals. Robert is good on his word and it is a fantastic deal. All the best and Stay Safe, Mike Drysdale

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
What am I missing here? I no longer have my mom's or gran's forged scissors from the 50s (they're way too heavy).

I use Fiskars or some other variant...even the titanium ones. I use scissors daily to cut apart plotter-cut stencils...gazillions of them every year.

I primarily use "shearing action" (push right through), instead of "cutting action" (open, close, open, close).

I can't imagine sending them out for sharpening when I can use the sharpener they make. A few quick swipes with the sharpener and my blades are razor keen.

The ceramic element inside the sharpener hones velvety smooth edges that do well in most materials (and even bloodletting...if the doctor so prescribes).

The orange section pops out and flips over for left-handed scissors.

JB

Fiskars.jpg

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What am I missing here? I no longer have my mom's or gran's forged scissors from the 50s (they're way too heavy).

I use Fiskars or some other variant...even the titanium ones. I use scissors daily to cut apart plotter-cut stencils...gazillions of them every year.

I primarily use "shearing action" (push right through), instead of "cutting action" (open, close, open, close).

I can't imagine sending them out for sharpening when I can use the sharpener they make. A few quick swipes with the sharpener and my blades are razor keen.

The ceramic element inside the sharpener hones velvety smooth edges that do well in most materials (and even bloodletting...if the doctor so prescribes).

JB

View attachment 149749

Why does everything that lady says sound like a question...... when it isn't ??

Notarealsignguy

JB

View attachment 149749

I thought that was Burke in the video? I like his mismatched nails. Must have lost a pink one in a scissor accident.

James Burke

I thought that was Burke in the video? I like his mismatched nails. Must have lost a pink one in a scissor accident.

Negative on the mismatched nails here...but I guess that's the trend these days. My daughter was big into Jamberrys and she still likes to rock the mismatch theme.

Speaking of Jamberrys, it was a brilliant way to extort $15 for roughly for two square inches of nail wraps. By my estimate, that's over a grand for one square foot of vinyl that the customers install themselves. But like all MLMs, they relied heavily on (unsustainable) distributors pressuring their friends into buying their crap, and they eventually shut down a while back.

JB

James Burke

I blame that on regional dialect. And at the risk of offending members, I won't say just where, but I've heard it before.

JB